Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    I just made a blue one for the missus out of window sheer from Walmart, thanks for the direction

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Hi folks,

I'm about to sew me a net one of these days and got a question to you all. Has anyone ever done the net a bit longer?
    Asking because I'm not too shure if my crl will stay short as it is now. Maybe I'll have to make it longer, as I only slept one whole night in the hammock the net will be for, and still am experimenting.
    I don't think a longer net would really cause trouble, unless it's going floppy an the walls come touch my skin - any thoughts?

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Push for opinions! :-)

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jolunder View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm about to sew me a net one of these days and got a question to you all. Has anyone ever done the net a bit longer?
    Asking because I'm not too shure if my crl will stay short as it is now. Maybe I'll have to make it longer, as I only slept one whole night in the hammock the net will be for, and still am experimenting.
    I don't think a longer net would really cause trouble, unless it's going floppy an the walls come touch my skin - any thoughts?
    I made a Fronkey bugnet and added 10" (I think...) to it for a few reasons; 1) I didn't know if I was going to adjust my ridgeline and 2) I didn't want the bugnet to sag toward the center.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    If you make it longer and the sagging fabric bothers you, you can always tie cord around it to tighten it up.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    I made a Fronkey bugnet and added 10" (I think...) to it for a few reasons; 1) I didn't know if I was going to adjust my ridgeline and 2) I didn't want the bugnet to sag toward the center.
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    If you make it longer and the sagging fabric bothers you, you can always tie cord around it to tighten it up.
    Thanks, that sounds good.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Thanks. Noob hanger am I--about to spend my first night out in my front yard. DIYer too. I got started after sewing a few of Ray Jardine's kits. I began to think, "this feature on this tarp, pack etc. doesn't suit me. I'm gonna do it my way." Most of my hammock stuff is DIY.
    I read, watch videos, make stuff.

I found sheer curtains in black in-store at Walmart. $5 each 59" x 84"
    Last edited by kayak4water; 05-31-2014 at 19:39. Reason: found curtains

Hammock
    DYI gathered end
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Just Finished 4 ffronkey style nets using #the NO-SEE-UM MESH from quest outfitters at $2.95 a yard its hard to go wrong.

here they are drying after being treated with Permethrin..

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    this is my first post after reading a lot and finally trying to get ready for a first hammock campout.

I am working on my first DIY hammock project to make a bugnet for my grand trunk double using two walmart sheers (59 x 84). I also just added a make shift ridgeline using one of the suspension ropes that came with the GT hammock. Turned out to be almost exactly 83% of the 10.5' length, and I looped it around the hammock fabric ends, not the biners. Lots of ideas on the forum to optimize this setup, but for a first car campout, this seems like a good start

DIY hammock net.jpg
    Son hanging on a lazy Friday evening

I mention these details and show the picture, because the net seems too short, or is the hammock ridgeline too short, making the hammock hang too low? Maybe the perspective is different in person, but the photos I've seen on the forum (albiet sometimes empty) look like the curve is less, i.e. the hammock is more taut.

If the ridgeline is good as calculated, then I think I need to extend the net, which got me thinking, maybe a piece of ripstop nylon would close the gap, give me more bug protection on the bottom, and even give me a place to stuff in some makeshift insulation or light gear. Someone must have thought of this before. Other than now needing a new entryway, are there problems with this idea?

I was also thinking about modifying the net to add a velcro or zipper on one end, so I could pull it out of the way without getting out (or getting my son out), and then pulling it back into place when needed. Any thoughts on this idea? The end opening and nylon bottom seem to work together, although I realize I can't easily pull it out of the way if the base is stuffed with a woobie or gear.

Maybe a short piece of fabric or additional netting is a better idea? I was planning to sew a PLUQ next, so the extra bug protection through the hammock is probably not needed. It seems like some sort of wind barrier or light insulation will be a minimum requirement even for SoCal camping.

Thanks in advance for any expert advice. I've already learned a lot (I thought) reading the forum. -Slbear

Hammock
    TTTM
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon camo
    Insulation
    DDUQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps, WS
    Images

Video: How to make a hammock bug net

If it's comfortable, it's right. If not then adjustments are called for. The 83% is merely a guide that most people are comfortable at, but there are very many with shorter or longer RLs than that. Having said that, it does indeed look like your RL is shorter than most, giving your hammock a greater sag. It is the length of the RL that is to blame.

Congratulations on a very decent-looking first project
    Living, learning, and loving both.

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast