WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

Video: How to make a hammock bug net

Something is a bit off from the looks of it. As far as length is concerned, you're supposed to have 1.5-2.5 inches per end of the hammock of wiggle room between the ends of the hammock and the end of the bugnetting (hammock ridgeline length x 2 + 6 to 10 inches.

For ease of discussion let's say your hammock ridgeline is 100 inches. That'd be 100 x 2 = 200 + 6 to 10 inches (I usually use 10) would give you 210 total inches for your raw bugnetting fabric. Fold that over would give you 105 inches for your finished net which would give you 2.5 inches per side of wiggle room between your hammock ends and your bugnetting). So it appears your raw bugnetting length was not long enough to accommodate the length of your hammock.

Solution for this would be to purchase or DIY a pair of netting extenders. 2QZQ sells them.

Now for the height problem. You're not supposed to end up with the hammock hanging out of the bottom of the netting.

It appears your hammock is hung with quite a bit of distance between the hammock ridgeline and the bottom of the hammock.

The solution to this would be to either go with it as it is (frankly, I would test this a few times in the backyard on a really buggy evening before trusting it to keep the bugs out in the field) or sew additional panels, like you mention, to the bottom to accommodate being able to get the entirety of the hammock inside the bugnetting.

As far as some additional information, I have a few videos on how I approached things with a few different hammocks and some of the things I learned in the process of making a few of these. Video 3 specifically discusses what you mention of installing Velcro on one side for easy removal. I put this feature on all of the bugnets I make now so I can easily install and remove the netting with all the items in/on my hammock.

I think it's a really good start. Let us know how things turnout.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks Fourq2 and Tendertoe,

Part of the problem was solved when I actually measured the Grand Trunk Double. I stretched it over a door and it's a lot closer to 136" of fabric versus the 126" I had assumed from their website, so I lengthened the ridgeline from 104" to 112" and the walmart sheer Fonkey inspired bug net is probably long enough now. That being said, the shorter ridgeline might have been more comfortable. I have to experiment as suggested, and got some amsteel blue from Dutchware to make a whoopie sling rideline to do that more easily.

Great videos from Tendertoe. I do want to add the velcro or omni-tape opening on one end. It just makes sense to me so you can use the bug netting when you need it or push it out of the way when you don't. Anyone know where you can buy longer pieces of omni-tape? (in a store - I'm raring to get it today!) As I looked for it online, it wasn't clear if Velcro makes omni-tape or if there is a certain type of velcro that is close to it. Does it matter what you use for that?

One other note - If I were to do it over, I'd probably buy the netting instead of using sheers. This was a good first project, but I think the bug netting might be more breathable.

Thanks again for all the help,
    Slbear

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    They only sell omnitape in small lengths locally like I mention in my video.

I looked around at various stores and ended up with a few boxes of 3 foot lengths, if I remember correctly, from a craft store.

If you can wait, I'd recommend getting a single length from DIY gear supply online.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been wanting to make a bug net because I don't want to pay for the ENO one. I was at Walmart and found a netting for $1.50 a yard. Not sure if it's tulle or noseeum or something else. How can you tell the difference?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    i've been looking through DIY bug net posts for a while now but THIS one is by far the best. very detailed where some of the other posts got a little confusing. thank you for taking the time to put this together. i'll be using this to make mine.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Trip report with DIY bug nets

Windy in San Jacinto.jpg

First hammock camping trip was a success. My son and I have Grand Trunk single and double hammocks, and my wife helped me make fronkey style bugnets for each. The first using wallyworld sheers (you can hardly see these in the back) and the second using 7 yds of noseeum from Dutch. Both worked well, but I have a couple of comments.

The sheers are easy to sew and strong. The noseeum is lighter and more breathable, and not difficult to sew - just more steps to add the cord channel. I prefer the noseeum.

I added velcro one-wrap on the end of the noseeum net, and provided a way to slide the bugnet out of the way without removing the UQ, sleeping bag or disconnecting the suspension. Tradeoff is it that the net is not as packable/stuffable with the velcro, and the velcro catches slightly on the noseeum when you are trying to line it up perfectly. I did not remove the bugnet except to mess with the DIY PLUQ, but it was handy for that. I wanted a bugnet I could push aside without getting out of the hammock, but now I'm not sure that's as important as I thought. I would have been fine to keep the bugnet on from setup to take down. The views are great from inside. I eventually tied off the ends to keep it from sliding up the end of the hammock.

As an alternative, I'm thinking about sewing the bugnet onto the hammock with a zipper, and wondering how big of a zipper I want. I've seen posts where people are able to completely zip off the net and replace it with a top cover for colder weather. I see the benefit, but I also now realize the bigger the zipper the more it impacts weight and packability. Maybe just one side is enough, and you can flip it over the ridgeline? Do I need to have my ridgeline length dialed in before sewing on a bugnet? If I wanted tie-outs, do I need to do that and remeasure before sewing on the bugnet? I don't even know if I prefer left or right diagonal. I realize this might be a different post, but thought I would ask here first.

Quick trip report - temps were mid-50s to upper 70s at ~7,300' on Mt San Jacinto. Breezy to VERY windy. You can see my attempts at a windblock using a HH Hexfly and a Campmor silnylon square tarp. It was complicated to setup and noisy, but better to have it than not with the wind. In addition to bugnets, we had DIY whoopie ridge-lines, ridge-line organizers and UQs made from a poncho liner and a small nylon/fleece blanket with some extra poly quilt batting between that and the hammock. We were plenty warm with our sleeping bags, even with the wind. There was near zero chance of rain (drought out here so nothing new), so my hammock was not covered at all. Views of the stars and moon/sunrise even through the bugnet were outstanding.

Thanks all for your help here and on other posts to cobble together this hammock camping kit. -Slbear.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am having a tough time with this one. Is there a way to keep the tulle from rolling in on itself?
    I sewed the ridgeline into it and wanted to put in the French hybrid seam from the DIYgear website. I botched the first run and tried to rip the seam out with a ripper. Finally, after two hours of frustration, I just cut it off.
    I am sure that my next attempt will be fruitfull, I was trying to rush the job.
    I think I may leave one side original length to allow for the second channel so I can slide the bugnet off and on to ease with UQ placement.
    All in all, for my first DIY project I think it is going fairly well.
    Thanks Fronkey for the tutorial.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 07-25-2014 at 21:02.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Finally finished my bugnet today. I tell you, tulle is kind of a tough fabric for a beginner like me, but I struggled through. Its not beautiful, but it will do the trick. Thanks again for this tutorial.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    DIY Double layer Hammock
    Images
    Awesome! Thanks for the vids and tips. Gonna have to pull the sewing machine out and get busy.
    Living Minnesota! Great Land, lousy politics. But hey, my family is here so......

Hammock
    snipe hammock
    Tarp
    sil/pu hex
    Insulation
    3M Thinsulate/down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    sweeet thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast