Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    My Wife's Tablecloth
    Hello to all. A quick message from a Groupon from my area for bug netting material.
    12ft X 8ft bug material for $9.99. Just thought I would share. Order 2 and shipping is free.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-trad...mosquito-net-1

Hammock
    tableclothsfactory.com
    Tarp
    DIY square
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskyhiking View Post
    I am currently putting together a Hennessy style hammock according to the instructions put out by headchange4u. That design has two side tie-outs to help get the asymmetrical layout. Has anyone made this style of bug net work with side tie-outs? I am thinking I could sew a small opening for the cord to go through for the tie-out.
    I used a pair of Dutchware tarp pull-outs attached to the hammock AND bug net for asym pull-outs. Saves tedious sewing, gives you the flexibility to experiment with the location of the pull-outs, and keeps the bug net removable.

Quote Originally Posted by chillyswimr View Post
    I used a pair of Dutchware tarp pull-outs attached to the hammock AND bug net for asym pull-outs. Saves tedious sewing, gives you the flexibility to experiment with the location of the pull-outs, and keeps the bug net removable.
    Thanks for the tip. I am real new to all this and am certainly not aware of all the options and cool hardware that is available. I am going to try to get the time to make this on Thursday so I can use it for the upcoming holiday.

With this type of clip, is it hard to get in/out of the hammock? It seems like you would need to leave it clipped to your hammock.

Thanks!

Hammock
    tableclothsfactory.com
    Tarp
    DIY square
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Tie-outs do make access more awkward with a removable bug net with bottom access. However, through trial-and-error, you might discover you don't need/want the asym tie-outs at all (most hammocks don't have them). I'm still experimenting with my setup and I like having the flexibility to move or remove the tie-outs. I think I might end up just going without them, not sure yet. I'm new to this, too, but I have done a 5-day trip with mine.

I like the idea of the grosgrain. I have a plan but am not sure how well it will work. I am going to sew a small (1") square of grosgrain on both sides of the netting where the tie-out is. Then I am going to use a soldering iron to "drill" a small hole through the two layers of grosgrain and the netting that is sandwiched in between. This should sear the edges as well so it doesn't fray. Then, I will pass the 1/8" shock cord through the hole and tie it to a very small carabiner that will attach to the tie out loop. So the biner would be between the netting and the hammock with the shock cord going out the hole to the tie down stake. Should not need to be very strong and would allow me to easily unclib and get out of the hammock. If it works, I will post some pics.

Thanks for your ideas.
    I finally got a chance to make this net and try out this idea. After I made the net according to the instructions in this thread, I got some 1 1/2" grosgrain and cut it into 4 squares (2 for each side of the bugnet). I stretched out the hammock by laying in it and pushing out both sides at the tie outs and had my wife put a chalk mark on the net where the ties were. I then sandwiched the netting between two pieces of the 1 1/2" square grosgrain and sewed them in place.

I have a 25w soldering iron that I used when I built a few solar panels a few years back (I think it is just a Radio Shack iron) and used it like a drill to put a hole in each center of the patches I had sewn on previously. This worked great and also heat treated the holes so they wouldn't fray.

I put through about 5 feet of 1/8" shock cord and tied a figure 8 on a bite. I hooked on one of those mini-carabiners to clip to the tie out when you were inside the hammock.

My son used the hammock two nights this weekend and it worked great. He would un-clip the clip for the side he was exiting and would just clip it back up when he got back inside the hammock.

I took a few pics.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I finally got a chance to make this net and try out this idea. After I made the net according to the instructions in this thread, I got some 1 1/2" grosgrain and cut it into 4 squares (2 for each side of the bugnet). I stretched out the hammock by laying in it and pushing out both sides at the tie outs and had my wife put a chalk mark on the net where the ties were. I then sandwiched the netting between two pieces of the 1 1/2" square grosgrain and sewed them in place.

I have a 25w soldering iron that I used when I built a few solar panels a few years back (I think it is just a Radio Shack iron) and used it like a drill to put a hole in each center of the patches I had sewn on previously. This worked great and also heat treated the holes so they wouldn't fray.

I put through about 5 feet of 1/8" shock cord and tied a figure 8 on a bite. I hooked on one of those mini-carabiners to clip to the tie out when you were inside the hammock.

My son used the hammock two nights this weekend and it worked great. He would un-clip the clip for the side he was exiting and would just clip it back up when he got back inside the hammock.

I took a few pics.

Nice work man, that looks really slick

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

I took a few pics.

Awesome execution.

I put pullouts on one of my nets only by just attaching a pullout to the exterior of the net itself. This kicks the design up to the next notch by adding in pullouts to the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Made a few of these from your design and love it!! Thank you very much for sharing this, Fronkey

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Thank you for sharing this! It looks very doable. I suck at sewing but I may just have to give this a try.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalHope View Post
    Thank you for sharing this! It looks very doable. I suck at sewing but I may just have to give this a try.
    Thanks a bunch for watching! It's just as easy as it looks.

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast