A few questions from a newbie. Rating, pack volume, suspension ++

Hi!

I'm new to the hammocking game, and have a few questions. I know I should probably send these questions directly to HammockGear, but i thought it would be good time to finally post on the forums.

1. Will the 3/4 length underquilt work with a Hennessy Hammock Hyperlite bottom entrance, or will the quilt be in the way of the entrance?

2. How much volume does a compressed 40 degree 3/4 underquilt, and 40 degree topquilt make? Like, how much room this it take up in the backpack. I'm in the process of buying a new pack, and thus need to know approximately how much room everything in the pack takes up.

3. How long WhoopieSlings will i need? I'm generally trying to save some weight. Will the 4 feet slings be long enough? I'm also bring som high strength rope with me, and thought maybe i coudl extend the slings in case it get's to short the few times i don't find trees that are close enough?

4. Is it okay to use carabiners to connect the slings to the tree huggers? I'm thinking carabiners are quick, safe, and can work in other situations too. I've found some climbing rated carabiners weighing in at 25 grams each, which i don't think is that bad.

The plan is to use the hammock for summer camping, as the other 3 seasons in norway can be quite rough. But temperatures in summer here, can get down to freezing in some areas. So that brings me to the next question.

5. Is the temperature rating fairly accurate? Is it advisable to overfill the 40 degree underquilt with an ounce or two, to lower the rating, down towards freezing? After what i've read on the forums, a beefier underquilt is more important than the topquilt? I'm also bringing long wool underpants and long sleeved shirt.

Hoping to get some great answers from the gurus here on Hammcok Forums!
    Pontoppidan

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    All under quilts can work with a Hennessy, you just push the quilt aside when you enter/exit. Having clips to keep it centered helps.

A down-filled 40°F quilt will pack small. I think my summer quilt gets down to a loaf of bread.

Six-foot Whoopie slings are common, but I've used some half that size. Get to know the areas you frequent and how far apart the trees and how big the trees are. With appropriately-sized webbing straps and slings, you can reach most distances. I like going ultralight so I keep both about 3 feet long. Whoopies are so light and pack so small that having the longer ones is probably preferable while you work things out.

Carabiners are great. I use toggles most of the time now. Little twigs work good (I've got some examples in my book).

You're the best one to know about temperature ratings. Are you a warm/cold sleeper? Do you find that a 30°F bag is "right on" for you? Play around in your backyard a few times to make sure you're not going to freeze in the woods. Test first.

I think having a good under quilt is key.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    That was mighty kind of you to field those for me Mr. Dejoha.

Of course, Pontoppidan, Derek is right on all points. The book he refers to is awesome by the way.

I might add to point 5. The ratings are pretty accurate, maybe even a little on the conservative side. I normally tell people that wearing a base layer that is appropriate for the weather they are camping in should be enough to keep you warm down to the quilt's temperature rating. If you want to get lower (toward freezing) then it might be advisable to supplement the UQ with some over fill, and/or some other means such as a space blanket or something of that nature. Hope this helps.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Hehe, sorry Adam. I just jumped in the pot and stirred things around. I didn't notice that the questions were directed under HammockGear. Eeek!

Thanks for the answers!

Good to know the 3/4 underquilt will work with the hennessy. I was in doubt because Jacks r Better selles a quilt with a "slit" that they say is designed for the hennessy. Thanks for clearing that up for me

I guess you're right about the weight of the whoopies. I'm probably going to buy the 6" ones. I presume they can be shortened later of necessary.

I like the multipurpose possibilites of carabiners, so i ordered two. Good to know they are great for hanging the hammock too.

I'm thinking an ounce or two of overfill in the underquilt might be enough. I'll only be using the hammock for summer camping from late may - early september, so i guess it will be enough. The temperatues rarely drop below 40 degrees in that period, but i think an extra "buffer" will be nice when it comes to comfort Camping aint nice if you have a bad sleep...

Also nice to see the maker of the quilts on the forums. Maybe you could answer the question on volume more specific? If i were to buy a 40f burrow and 40f 3/4 underquilt with 2 ounce overfill, and stuff them in the same bag, how much could you compress it down to? I'm thinking well below 10 litres? I have a 20f sleeping bag weighing around the same as both quilts i can put in a 10L bag, and compress down to 3-4L. Given that the quilts has more fabric, am i wrong when i guess around 5-6L?

Again, thanks for the answers, guys!
    Pontoppidan

• + New Posts