PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    So far I have 3 boys and 3 leaders off the ground. I started by having an extra one I could lend out. But the big selling point came when we went snow camping and we had a storm blow through that night. So bad that we 3 broken tents afterwards. And I was warm and dry in my hammock and under my tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock-NX 250
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps, cinch bkls
    Worked for me that way. Now I have most of the Troop Hanging from the trees.
    "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime” Rupert Pupkin

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    There is a thread here about the Unofficial BSA Hammock Camping Merit Badge. It has helped several troops introduce hammock camping.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    So far I have 3 boys and 3 leaders off the ground. I started by having an extra one I could lend out. But the big selling point came when we went snow camping and we had a storm blow through that night. So bad that we 3 broken tents afterwards. And I was warm and dry in my hammock and under my tarp.
    Nice lookin' setup from what I can see of it! Working on getting my Troop (and Lodge) off the ground - mostly by getting up in the morning and saying what a great sleep I had and how wonderful my back feels I've got all the zeal of the new hammock convert - but I love it.

Just got to find a way to rig up in Florida State Parks.

Love your avatar as well, by the way.

Ted

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    Went on cub scout camp out. Many parents seemed interested in me and my son's DIY hammock camp. I place both hammocks on same tree like bunk beds with tarp over top. Had several parents come check it out. My son and I were last to wake up but we didn't miss breakfast.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    For our troop, I have taken the "lead by example" route and not tried to "convert" anyone. But I am always willing to explain my setup and why I find it superior to tent camping! After 3 years, there are three other hanging leaders and 3 scouts with hammocks.

As a troop, we are not advocating hammocking for the younger scouts. The benefits of: (1) using troop gear, (2) shared setup/takedown/cleaning, (3) tent camaraderie, and (4) "we all use the same gear" communism outweigh the individual comforts of a hammock. We're letting them get comfortable in the woods with BSA-standard sorts of processes before we 'graduate' them to individual setups. (Where I'm sure an "arms race" mentality will develop. We've got some kids with deep pocketbooks, and others without.)

My troop asked me to set up a DIY Hammocking weekend, in part because so many leaders and kids have been watching my progression through lighter gear, increased comfort, and fun DIY stuff like whoopie slings and alcohol stoves. We're aiming it for the 1st Class & higher scouts with a lot of camping nights.

For the class, we're planning to explain the reasons to hammock, basic component. Then we'll have stations to build/sew a basic gathered-end with SRL, whoopies & tree straps. We'll cover tarps but probably won't make them in the first go-round. (I'm really looking forward to DEJOHA's NEW BOOK!!!!!) (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39739)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    All it really takes is just being the first. I started hanging on troop trips about 2.5 years ago for my own comfort and slowly the boys started doing the same. We just had a camping trip in September where we were 100% hanging.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post
    There is a thread here about the Unofficial BSA Hammock Camping Merit Badge. It has helped several troops introduce hammock camping.
    I have been using this hammock camping merit badge (unofficial) to get my scouts interested. They all like my setup but unless you get them something to put their hands on and use they seem to loose interest. I have also come up witha kit for hammocks and we are making some cheap tarps! kits cost $20 (just the materials) and the tarps are tyvec ($12 each). I just posted a thread describing these.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...506#post560506

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I went backpacking with a Venture Crew last Thanksgiving, they didn't know i was bringing a hammock. They all snuggled into the shelters and i snuggled into my hammock. Most of them got up the next morning sore and cold, i jump out of the hammock and ask who's ready to go.

The first thing i heard after that was "weren't you cold in that thing last night, it got down to 26 last night?" To which i replied "Hmmmm, it was 86 in the hammock". The next thing i hear is the entire venture crew saying "i'm sleeping with him tonight".

I have seen a few of them pick up ENO's for college, but none of them have fully joined me on the dark side yet.
    Last edited by The RidgeRunner; 10-03-2011 at 16:13. Reason: spelling
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    +! on leading by example. I think that's the scouting way.

I also agree with RootCause about transitioning young scouts. We have a new scout/11-year-old patrol and they focus on the basics. Tenting works well for them because a lot of their experiences are more "plop-and-drop" camping. As the boys get older and activities like backpacking, canoeing, and other high adventure opportunities come their way, then hammocking becomes an attractive option.

I took my troop backpacking up the Bull Run Occoquan Trail in Virginia. I convinced two boys to hammock, besides myself and another leader. That night we had a big rain storm and it was drizzly in the morning. Those in tents woke to find themselves in a small lake, completely soaked. All of us in hammocks were dry. For our backpacking trip on the AT the following month, everyone was in hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast