Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images

Got some new toys/ Storage Questions

I picked up a"No Sniveller" Universal Quilt" and a "Nest" Down Under Quilt" from a used gear sale (thanks Gerard!). I am trying to lose weight and I wanted to get these as my reward for getting under 200 pounds (I still have 9 lbs to go but this deal was too good to let pass!). My question is this, can I store the quilts loosly in a kitchen garbage bag? I have heard some folks storing them under a bed (not an option) how about between the box spring and the mattress?
    Last edited by Ashman; 04-21-2008 at 13:01.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You can get a mesh laundry bag really cheap at the dollar store. Works great for allowing air in and not compressing the down. I've got my quilts hanging from nails in the basement in mesh laundry bags. Off the ground (out of the dirt and dust), not compressed, lots of breathability.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Like Patrick said, don't store them in a plastic bag. They need to be stored not only in something large enough so they aren't compressed but also in something breathable so any moisture that might be in them can escape.

The plastic bags are a good idea for lining their stuff sack when you are backpacking with them to keep moisture from getting to them while you are backpacking in wet conditions.

Is that confusing? A plastic bag is good for keeping moisture out short term but is bad for keeping moisture in long term.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I think I got it. How about the mattress thing? Bad idea Good idea?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    I think I got it. How about the mattress thing? Bad idea Good idea?
    Sorry but thats a bad idea. Its okay to compress down insulation for short periods of time (for example when you're actually backpacking); but long term storage that way will permanently crush the down. Basically instead of a nice warm down quilt, you'd end up with a DWR nylon sheet -- not very warm.

I use the laundry bag in the basement approach that NCPatrick talked about. I've heard that others hang theirs in a closet.

BTW: You're going to really like those quilts. I've got both of them and I'm very very pleased with them.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    I picked up a"No Sniveller" Universal Quilt" and a "Nest" Down Under Quilt" from a used gear sale (thanks Gerard!). I am trying to lose weight and I wanted to get these as my reward for getting under 200 pounds (I still have 9 lbs to go but this deal was too good to let pass!). My question is this, can I store the quilts loosly in a kitchen garbage bag? I have heard some folks storing them under a bed (not an option) how about between the box spring and the mattress?
    Excellent score on those quilts, Ashman. Hope you enjoy them. One of the first things I did with my SnugFit was to go to the Dollar Store and buy a big cheap-o mesh laundry bag to keep it stored in when not in use. I don't have a ton of room here, so it hangs from a nail in my laundry room.

• + New Posts