Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by phan-tom View Post
    Nice trip report Philip,

sounds like the weather was pretty ideal and looks like you're happy with your setup, very comfy and with a 17*C minimum no wonder the 20*F burrow was too warm .

15kg isn't too bad really, my usual load is about 18kg's and thats with about 4 of camera gear so we're pretty similar (my base weight is about 10kg).

Pity about you feet though, it sounds like they are a bit of a mess, I've had similar problems finding boots that agree with my broad feet and I've now gone back to my army issue GP's for bushbashing walks, they're well worn in and I don't have any problems with blisters or discomfort even when its wet. Most of the time though, 75%, I wear a pair of canvas Dunlop Volleys, they're not the most durable shoes (what would you expect for $45) but I like the fact that they are so comfortable (I find shoes with inbuilt arches make my feet ache after a very short time whereas the Volleys are flat inside and I can walk in them all day with no problems). Don't get sold by the marketing hype of all the brands out there... I also always try and keep my toenails clipped before going out too because theres nothing worse than walking downhill and kicking your toes inside your boots, that sucks.

I've actually been looking for a pair of sturdy gaiters to wear with my volleys though because they don't offer a lot of protection against scrubby undergrowth or bitey things like snakes and I can gaurantee that our snakes are awake and up and about for the summer as I had a close encounter with two brown's yesterday in the space of ten minutes. I was doing some soil tests for work which entails digging some holes by hand and taking some samples for the lab and the banging of the shovel into the ground must have attracted one which came right up to me whilst I wasn't looking and stopped about an arms length away behind me. I turned around to pick up a plastic bag and got a huge shock to see a 1.5 metre snake just looking at me. The thing wasn't frightened at all by my presence, seemed more curious than anything but when I jumped back it appeared like it was going to strike for a second and then just turned around around and slithered off. I had to throw a stick at it to help it on its way. Thought I'd add that as the grassy track you were on looked super snakey

Nice vid too by the way.
    Hi phan tom.

I'm happy with my base weight of 10kg. will endeavour to get this lower in the future, but for now, I've spent enough money on gear, need to save money for future hiking trips so I can put all this gear to good use.

I've been seriously considering going back to Volleys. I used to wear them years ago, when I first started hiking. Never had any problems with them. All these new high tech boots are a nightmare for me. I like the quality, but to me there a torture instruments.

Gaitors I agree on, Particularly if your on your own, like I was on this trip. I own a pair of Sea to Summit Event gaitors. I wear them on many of my hikes, mainly for protection from snake bites. Never been bitten by one. I usually keep a eye out for them on the tracks. What I have encountered a lot of late are the red belly black snake, highly venomous, but docile and tend to keep there distance as I do. We also get a lot of Carpet Pythons up this way, there huge, but not venomous, you do have to watch those, they can have a go at you. Or maybe that's because we try to catch them as part of research for the parks and wildlife service. When I say we, I'm meaning with park rangers, as I am a avid volunteer for the past 12 years with the QLD parks and Wildlife Service as a researcher. I never attempt to catch them if I'm not with another ranger.
    My main area I research is the Sea Turtles, particularly the endangered Loggerhead Turtles and the soon to be endangered Green Turtles. Fascinating creatures they are and very interesting to study. A big bonus with being on the research team is I get to go to area's that are not open to the public.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    Yes, a far cry from my hike a few weeks back. Wanted a easy hike for a change.

My pack weight prior to this hike used to be in excess of 20kg. That was a struggle to carry, but somehow I managed it for 4 weeks around Sydney back in March April of this year.

My feet are more of a problem for me than the pack weight. Blisters are a major problem on my heels, finding hiking shoes that fit me is a impossible task for me, believe me I've tried, spent a lot of dollars on hiking shoes in the past 6 months. I've resorted to finding the closest fit I can find and taking that to the local cobbler for some modifications, so far the boots are still not right, need more work done on those. Right now my priority is getting my feet healed and boots fitted, I don't want to suffer from blisters or pain any more.

The 15kg on my back, felt so much lighter. The 15kg does include food and water, 4 litres of water and 700grams of water. My base weight is 10.3 kg, I don't know how I can get that weight any lower, without spending a fortune. My pack weight is 2.5kg. but it's a very comfy pack, being a Aarn Load Limo.
    There where no weight on my shoulders, I remember at the end of each day while in sydney how sore and tight my shoulders where at the end of the day. Not with the Aarn pack. That pack is so comfy to wear. I think it makes the weight feel lighter than what it is.
    That’s **** good going carrying a 20kg pack! 2.5kg pack weight. Wow! Mine weighs 632 grams, but it will only carry 12kg max.

I hope you can solve your sore feet problem! I used to have that problem too, and knee strain. Not anymore. I got a pair of Roclite 288s. the catch is, they wear out fairly quick. I think I’ll get 700 to 1000ks out of my first pair. I like them so much that I have a second pair ready to go when the tread wears off the first. Very comfy, very light and very grippy. The grip is amazing! Inov-8 are known for their grippy shoes. The shoe size I ordered is the same size as some runners I’ve got.

They are to hiking what hammocks are to camping!

Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX Shoes The roclite™ 288 GTX® is the World’s lightest GORE-TEX® walking boot.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-roclite-288-gtx-shoes/

These socks are a top it off, must have:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/inov-8-debrisgaiter-32-socks/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi Bruciehi5,

I've seen those boots online. Very tempting, but without trying a pair for size, I don't know if I'm willing to take the risk. As so far all the boots I've purchased this year have failed, even those that where sold to me from Mountain Designs store, Was told these are the boot's for me, Those boots are sitting in my cupboard never to be used again, ive given them a good shot, but I realise now there just to big for me. Causes blisters on my heels, nothing I tried stops the blisters, Cost me almost 400.00. although they do fit me around my toes. If I purchase shoes that fit me length wise, I can't get my wide foot into them, if I purchase boots that fit me width, there to long, hence all the blisters on my heels. The boots I have now, i'm trying are the right length, but to narrow for my feet, they have already been to the cobbler to get stretched, but needs more stretching. and they still caused blisters on my heel.

Is it because of the tread on the Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX Shoes why your limited to 700-1000km distance? How are the boots in general holding up?

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hi Bruciehi5,

I've seen those boots online. Very tempting, but without trying a pair for size, I don't know if I'm willing to take the risk. As so far all the boots I've purchased this year have failed, even those that where sold to me from Mountain Designs store, Was told these are the boot's for me, Those boots are sitting in my cupboard never to be used again, ive given them a good shot, but I realise now there just to big for me. Causes blisters on my heels, nothing I tried stops the blisters, Cost me almost 400.00. although they do fit me around my toes. If I purchase shoes that fit me length wise, I can't get my wide foot into them, if I purchase boots that fit me width, there to long, hence all the blisters on my heels. The boots I have now, i'm trying are the right length, but to narrow for my feet, they have already been to the cobbler to get stretched, but needs more stretching. and they still caused blisters on my heel.

Is it because of the tread on the Inov-8 Roclite 288 GTX Shoes why your limited to 700-1000km distance? How are the boots in general holding up?
    Yes, I’ve looked at the shoes in that shop. Big $ for what you’d think must be a great shoe... they look good. Whereas, the Roclites look pretty ordinary, but work really well.

What about taping your feet in the blister zone and doing some short walks around the block to try to run your boots in? Thicker socks, or two pair of socks to help stretch and shape the shoes to your feet. Also, maybe wet your shoes and socks before the short walk. That can help with the running in. Liquid bandage (superglue) might be of some use. I’ve got widish feet too. Getting them stretched again might help. For $400, it’s worth trying a few things, but, as you know, the trying is hard on the feet.

YES... it is because of the tread that the shoes wear out so quick. It’s the price you pay for high performance. Good grip equals faster tyre wear. I was just comparing my new with old and I was surprised to see that only 2ish out of 6ishmm has worn off. At a wild guess, I’d say they’ve done 400 or 500kms. Maybe they’ll do better than 1000ks!

They’ve been out in wet, rocky, shruby, well, all kinds of conditions (not snow). I planned to use them only on proper graded tracks, because they don’t look all that tuff, but that idea soon went out the window, because they work so well. I thought, stuff it, when they wear out I’ll just buy some more. I used to get to camp and take my shoes off straight away, buy now, with these shoe, I don’t “usually” take them off till hammy time. I’ve walked 16kms of the Border Track in rain and with fully wet shoes, socks and feet with not the slightest problem. They love the wet!

I’ve taken some photos. If you look closely, you will see some wrinkles in the spongy shock absorber part of the shoe. Other than that, they are holding up well - better than I expected.

For the first 15 to 20 kms of walking, they make a gumboot sound. Gloonk The boot folds and pushes in just above where the toes are. I could feel it just touching the top of my foot as it pushed in and I though it would be a problem, but it soon went away.

Anyway keep working on your $400 shoes, see how they go. You could wear them at work (if you can) and take some other shoes as well to change in to the second they start to irritate.

The light coloured shoe is the old model and the darker one “slate” is the new model.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Loved it Phillip. Looks like you got your set up down to a tee eh.

Crazy French!
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchHiking View Post
    Loved it Phillip. Looks like you got your set up down to a tee eh.

Crazy French!
    Hi HitchHiking,
    Yep, I think so to, down to a tee or should I say tree.

I didn't mind the french.

Of to another overnight hike this Sunday, at a place appropriately named Walkers Point. Just got from a drive out that area to reccy for a overnight hike, The national Camp grounds has lots of great trees to hang off.

Thinking about heading back down your way again, one day soon to do some more overnight hikes, particularly at the Blue Mountains, I wouldn't mind spending at least a week or two at the blue mountains. We must organise some hikes I can join you on, maybe invite some other hammock hikers from Sydney to join us. Anywhere will suit me. You name the place. I'll be there to join you's.

At this stage looking at Feb or March next year, depending on the temps. Don't want to be there when it's to hot.
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 10-07-2011 at 00:42.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    Hey Phillip, regarding your feet, the old guard of Sydney Bushwalkers used to swear by Dunlop Volleys. All the older members used to hike in them. They had copious arguments in favor of them versus expensive hiking boots, but the assumption was that you had to have strong ankle and leg muscles from regular hiking. Just a thought.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Hi HitchHiking,
    Yep, I think so to, down to a tee or should I say tree.

I didn't mind the french.

Of to another overnight hike this Sunday, at a place appropriately named Walkers Point. Just got from a drive out that area to reccy for a overnight hike, The national Camp grounds has lots of great trees to hang off.

Thinking about heading back down your way again, one day soon to do some more overnight hikes, particularly at the Blue Mountains, I wouldn't mind spending at least a week or two at the blue mountains. We must organise some hikes I can join you on, maybe invite some other hammock hikers from Sydney to join us. Anywhere will suit me. You name the place. I'll be there to join you's.

At this stage looking at Feb or March next year, depending on the temps. Don't want to be there when it's to hot.

Looking forward to it! Let me know when eh.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice to get a peek at your backwoods. Love those big volcanic rocks....reckon they shot out of the mountain and landed there?
    A right goodie of a view from your hammock there.
    Good luck on proper boots.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Great video and pics! It looks like a very pretty area down there.

Sorry to hear about your feet; that's really one of two reasons that I went to hiking in Keen-style sandals with the toebox. The other being that it's Florida, and I'm going to get water in my shoes fairly regularly from the rain if I hike in anything but the dead of "winter". I wanted something that would dry out quickly.

Still, with all of the wildlife down there in Oz that doesn't like humans, I might just go with good, sturdy trail runners and gaiters like everyone's been recommending.

You mentioned a local cobbler. Does (s)he do custom boot manufacture? It might be worth considering, if you still want a boot rather than a Keds-style shoe, trail runner, or sandal. Heck, it might be cheaper than those $400 boots you got at the store.

Don't sweat a 10-kilo base weight. That's about what I run, and as long as you aren't trying to pack through extremely dry areas, it won't kill you. Without going to ultra-lightweight materials for most of your stuff or going to a ground setup, that's pretty durned good. Just make sure you get out with it fairly regularly to ensure you don't lose your back, knee, and ankle support muscles (don't know why I'm saying that; it looks like you get out more than I do, for certain).

Anyway, thanks for the ride-along! It's a wonderful area, from what you've shown us, and you're awfully lucky to be able to get out there!

Also, French nudists? Not something that I'd expect. Funny, though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123