Quote Originally Posted by phan-tom View Post
Nice trip report Philip,

sounds like the weather was pretty ideal and looks like you're happy with your setup, very comfy and with a 17*C minimum no wonder the 20*F burrow was too warm .

15kg isn't too bad really, my usual load is about 18kg's and thats with about 4 of camera gear so we're pretty similar (my base weight is about 10kg).

Pity about you feet though, it sounds like they are a bit of a mess, I've had similar problems finding boots that agree with my broad feet and I've now gone back to my army issue GP's for bushbashing walks, they're well worn in and I don't have any problems with blisters or discomfort even when its wet. Most of the time though, 75%, I wear a pair of canvas Dunlop Volleys, they're not the most durable shoes (what would you expect for $45) but I like the fact that they are so comfortable (I find shoes with inbuilt arches make my feet ache after a very short time whereas the Volleys are flat inside and I can walk in them all day with no problems). Don't get sold by the marketing hype of all the brands out there... I also always try and keep my toenails clipped before going out too because theres nothing worse than walking downhill and kicking your toes inside your boots, that sucks.

I've actually been looking for a pair of sturdy gaiters to wear with my volleys though because they don't offer a lot of protection against scrubby undergrowth or bitey things like snakes and I can gaurantee that our snakes are awake and up and about for the summer as I had a close encounter with two brown's yesterday in the space of ten minutes. I was doing some soil tests for work which entails digging some holes by hand and taking some samples for the lab and the banging of the shovel into the ground must have attracted one which came right up to me whilst I wasn't looking and stopped about an arms length away behind me. I turned around to pick up a plastic bag and got a huge shock to see a 1.5 metre snake just looking at me. The thing wasn't frightened at all by my presence, seemed more curious than anything but when I jumped back it appeared like it was going to strike for a second and then just turned around around and slithered off. I had to throw a stick at it to help it on its way. Thought I'd add that as the grassy track you were on looked super snakey

Nice vid too by the way.
Hi phan tom.

I'm happy with my base weight of 10kg. will endeavour to get this lower in the future, but for now, I've spent enough money on gear, need to save money for future hiking trips so I can put all this gear to good use.

I've been seriously considering going back to Volleys. I used to wear them years ago, when I first started hiking. Never had any problems with them. All these new high tech boots are a nightmare for me. I like the quality, but to me there a torture instruments.

Gaitors I agree on, Particularly if your on your own, like I was on this trip. I own a pair of Sea to Summit Event gaitors. I wear them on many of my hikes, mainly for protection from snake bites. Never been bitten by one. I usually keep a eye out for them on the tracks. What I have encountered a lot of late are the red belly black snake, highly venomous, but docile and tend to keep there distance as I do. We also get a lot of Carpet Pythons up this way, there huge, but not venomous, you do have to watch those, they can have a go at you. Or maybe that's because we try to catch them as part of research for the parks and wildlife service. When I say we, I'm meaning with park rangers, as I am a avid volunteer for the past 12 years with the QLD parks and Wildlife Service as a researcher. I never attempt to catch them if I'm not with another ranger.
My main area I research is the Sea Turtles, particularly the endangered Loggerhead Turtles and the soon to be endangered Green Turtles. Fascinating creatures they are and very interesting to study. A big bonus with being on the research team is I get to go to area's that are not open to the public.