1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

sleeping bag as peapod

My sleeping bag unzips at the foot and the head so I can slide it around my hammock.

How is this different than a pea pod?

Is a peapod snug under the hammock like an UQ?
    If so, how does the suspension accomplish this?

When I hung my sleeping bag in "peapod" mode, the bottom hung well below the bottom of my hammock. The more diagonal I lay, the closer it pulled up to the hammock.

Its kind of a pain to temporarily remove the hammock ridgeline to set up peapod mode. Any suggestiosn besides adding a carabiner to the hammock ridgeline?

My UQ will be a cut up sewn thru synthetic sleeping bag which I am guessing is rated at 40 degrees. What about using sleeping bag in pea pod mode over the UQ?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    For the pod you could make some channels on the bottom half of the bag to run a streach cord thru on each side to keep the bag against the bottom of the hammock, then run an attachment from the top of the bag to the ridgeline to keep the tophalf of the bag from flipping off the side when getting in and out

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I couldnt find what i was looking for when I searched HF. But I did a google search (and it took me to a HF thread)

It seems a true peapod is tighter around the hammock than a sleeping bag with a foot opening is. Is the extra space between the bottom of the hammock and the sleeping bag a problem?

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    I couldnt find what i was looking for when I searched HF. But I did a google search (and it took me to a HF thread)

It seems a true peapod is tighter around the hammock than a sleeping bag with a foot opening is. Is the extra space between the bottom of the hammock and the sleeping bag a problem?
    Yes, you want the bottom of the bag up loosely against the bottom of the hammock.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Yes, you want the bottom of the bag up loosely against the bottom of the hammock
    Does that mean that in a true pea pod you cannot lay diagonally because the fit is so tight?

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images
    Ive been playing around with it and it is a bother unless I make some minor mods to the sleeping bag but I have only attached shock cord to loop attachements at the foot and hood. I was able to get a decent result but still only toying around with it.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You can install a nacrabiner/soft shackle to your ridgeline and that will give you a quick easy detachment point.

I sewed in four loops to my sleeping bag/pod diy. I did a loose test fit and decided where the best place would be for each tie out loop. Each loop has shockcord that runs up around the fabric bundle and down to the opposing loop. You can either clip the sc with a biner or tie it off direct, once you get a good feel for length of sc.

Now that the bag is supported from below, it keeps the insulation pulled tight (not too tight) reducing drafts and air circulation. Adding (or possibly using the already installed by the bag manufacturer) draft collar will help seal the end up nicely.
    And the sc suspension keeps the sleeping/pod from drooping to the ground when opened. I made my design to allow for the zipper to be right on top, which makes for easy entry/exit.
    There are some pics in my gallery.

Other than being a little tight at the knees, the sb/pod is very doable. Not as good as a real uq and topquilt combo for total comfort, imo.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

trick is eliminate circulation

It seems a true peapod is tighter around the hammock than a sleeping bag with a foot opening is. Is the extra space between the bottom of the hammock and the sleeping bag a problem?[/QUOTE]

The key to warmth is to eliminate air circulation that could result in air flowing into and out of the underside of your peapod bag, taking away your body heat. Arguably, that extra air space that you report could be a valuable addition to your warmth, as long as the air in that gap is trapped and cannot flow in and out.

I use a 40 degree Kelty Lightyear down bag in summer as a peapod, and a 15 degree Sierra Designs Nitro 15 degree down bag in winter. Both have zip-open foot boxes. The mummy shape, for my 5 ft 10, 150 pound frame, keeps the bag relatively snug at the hood end, when zipped all the way up around the hammock. In early March I stayed toasty at 5 degrees (wearing merino wool top/bottom, down jacket, merino balaclava and fleece beanie).

The key is minimizing air flow out the foot box and out the top. At the footbox, when it's cold, I stuff a plastic grocery bag at the bottom stick my feet in the bag. The bag crumples around and forms a pretty effective seal against air coming in the footbox. With the bag fully zipped, the collar/hood area stays close enough to the hammock bottom to maintain continuous touch with the hammock fabric. Not tight. Just touching. System works great for my in my Grand Trunk Nano 7. I am very comfortable in this small hammock. And for winter camping, can you imagine a lighter weight system, with less fiddle factor? I love it. But according to many others who have tried it, it's not for everybody. Your results may vary.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    For my son, I modified a GI Patrol bag and Goretex bivy cover from the recent Modular Sleeping System.
    It fits over the end and he can zip it up all around him. (I can't do that- He is a lot skinnier!)

Pictures are of the modified foot end and the finshed product.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Gargoyle, I am trying to picture what you did with the shock cord. Does the SC run under the sleeping bag / Pea pod then come up each side and hang from the hammock ridgeline?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast