Tarp
    Aqua Quest
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HighHopesHammock View Post
    Here at high hopes hammock we exactly that. For every Hammock we sell we give one to someone in need. Which includes; homeless living on the streets, victims of natural disasters, and refugees. We don't just hand them a hammock say go for it. We teach them where in the area they can hammock and will be able to stay the night safely. We also teach them how to use the hammock. We are partnered with shelters and charities to make this happen. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-someone-in Check us out!
    Mighty old post you bumped to promote your commercial endeavors...

In spite of that, you really need to flesh out your plans around how you are going to educate folks on the usage of your hammocks and distribute the donations. Without that, it looks like a good idea with no real plan.

Further, what are your specific plans for below freezing weather. Quite frankly, moderate temperatures are not a dangerous problem even with no equipment. Dealing with the more dangerous temperatures require more thought into makeshift insulation or additional gear (and additional cost). Do you have ideas on how to address this? Have you tested any of this at 15 degrees? That's what folks outside in my area are dealing with tonight...

Finally, what is behind the "wind breaking" claim of your cocoon design? Is it a specific fabric you are using? I don't see how this is a realistic claim. Have you tested it? Do you have results available?

It's an admirable idea, but you really need to have a clearer plan before it looks legit to me. Hopefully I just missed it.

New Member 1Space2Alien0Hanger8's Avatar
    Hammock
    DatDiylyfe undecided
    Tarp
    Clear TPU/sylnylon
    Insulation
    Diy underquilt/bag
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    So many dark thoughts, yo.

I like the idea; mostly because I'm tiptoeing becoming homeless myself(**** it Murica, why you gotta steal the livng daylights..)And I feel pretty secure with my hammock get up. Grant it, it could sure use more tinkering and a lot more work, I still feel confident in it. At least I'd get a good night of sleep every night. Finding level ground is a lot harder than finding a tree. I'm all for stealth hammock camping. I almost had to do it tonight, in a park in a coneifur tree. I cashed in a rescue ticket from my parents though. I regret it already. One thing I've been thinking of doing is camping in large trees. I want to tinker with the idea of hammocks for homelessness, at least for myself, some more. Facing money,work, security, lack of support and little aid issues, I'd totally try out an experiment on myself to possibly help others. There will always be 'homeless' people. I still have to figure out how to bring and care for my lovely fur baby dog though, he's a medium sized fellow and not fond of heights.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Bump: cheap tensahedron stands for humanitarian relief: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1834343

First thing I thought was "that would be great for homeless people!" And I see daneaustin3 already posted here. I ride my bike daily past people sleeping on sidewalks, in parking lots, etc. It's cold out there. Of course homelessness is a complex problem, but a cheap portable way to get off the ground where trees aren't an option, tarp-compatible, could surely help many for a night or a year. For just a little bit more, it would be easy to chop the poles in 2 with an outer sleeve in the next size up to bolt or clamp in place, making a slim bundle half the length.

Double-layer hammock with reflectix and/or wadded newspaper, old blankets etc as UQ: beats the cold ground.

I've already pinged 2 hammock-oriented homeless relief projects for feedback. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Latherdome; 12-15-2017 at 00:03.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234