DIY-That needs a name
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Hook - Strap
    Images
    I wonder how this would work inserted in between the layers of my DL.

Would the compression of the fabric take away from its insulation properties?
    There are very few problems we can solve ourselves, but there is almost nothing we cannot solve together.

Most often when someone says they can't, they are unwilling to try.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Badchef, it should work good up to a point. The perforations should keep it from being a vapor barrier, the fleece is more of a coating than a batting that could be compressed. It sure seemed to help between the layers of my PLUQ down to 32f.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Thank you! I'll check over at the Wallyworld in town that carries fabric.
    Went over to JoAnne's today with the wife for stuff for her school projects. Turns out that they carry this as well. Time for me to start in on my underquilt plans...

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Gotta give our WallyWorld a look. I have 3 Sew-Up PLUQs to make before Christmas and wanted to add a layer of insulation of some sort inside each...Insul Fleece sounds like it may just be the ticket...

John and OD...would ya believe 25 deg (F) with a PLUQ weekend before last? I definitely cheated. Used a PLUQ for bottom insulation, my big red 40 deg sleeping bag TQ inside another sleeping bag for top insulation (both are wide and I wrapped them and tucked 'em around me quite well) and me wearing mid weight thermal top and bottoms, heavy socks and insulated booties, a fleece pull over and an alpaca wool cap.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Gotta give our WallyWorld a look. I have 3 Sew-Up PLUQs to make before Christmas and wanted to add a layer of insulation of some sort inside each...Insul Fleece sounds like it may just be the ticket...

John and OD...would ya believe 25 deg (F) with a PLUQ weekend before last? I definitely cheated. Used a PLUQ for bottom insulation, my big red 40 deg sleeping bag TQ inside another sleeping bag for top insulation (both are wide and I wrapped them and tucked 'em around me quite well) and me wearing mid weight thermal top and bottoms, heavy socks and insulated booties, a fleece pull over and an alpaca wool cap.
    I don't consider that cheating... well... much, but I am a COLD sleeper.. If my back is cold, I am miserable... I end up with CBS quite easily.

I bought 2 yards of insul-fleece from WM the other day. It is very comparable to insul-brite, only a little thinner and lighter. I'll add it to my PLUQ and see how it does. I'd think that it'd work better between the UQ and the hammock, though...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    John you may be right on the placement of the insul-fleece. On the PLUQ I placed it between the layers and it helped. On my new setup it is between the insulation and the bottom of the hammock and seems to be warmer. May be the reflective mylar layer being closer to the hammock bottom. Wish I would have brought the new kit with me on this trip to N. Georgia, could have really tested it out last night, temps down toward freezing.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Found insul-fleece at our local wallyworld for a little less than $7 a yard.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'm making 3 sew-up PLUQs for my kids and a friend. Sounds like putting a layer on the outside of the PL between the UQ and the hammock might give the most benefit. Do y'all have any recommendations about how to sew it in? Just a line or two around the perimeter? Several lines across? Other suggestions? Also, any idea how well it will hold up to being folded and rolled or just stuffed into a stuff sack?

Or...Might some other type of sheet insulation serve my purpose better?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Looks like just me ricecg. My use was just as an insert between the layers of a PLUQ so there was no sewing involved. Got me down to 32 deg comfortably and I plan to use a piece if necessary in my new UQ. Anything else I can do to help with just holler.
    I have a single layer of it in my PLUQ, no sew. I did use a few safety pins on it to assure it remained in place. I've had it down to 39* wearing long-johns..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Very interesting! I didn't know there was such a thing as insul fleece. I was trying to figure out how to incorporate a mylar space balnket into my PLUQ ideas. This may be the ticket!

lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'm in the midst of sewing up a layer in my PLUQ right now. I'll post photos and build steps when I'm done (hopefully sometime this weekend), and link here. Testing of it will probably have to wait until either this coming Monday or the Greater Gainesville hang the following weekend, due to what the weather forecast is calling for.

I'll let youse guys know!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast