HH undercover as mosquito repellant

3 questions

1: would having the undercover on without the pad work as an effective double-bottom to keep mosquitos from biting through the bottom?

2: if used with the undercover/underpad is it possible to not overheat during 80* nights? (id be sleeping mostly naked no bag no quilt no layers)

3: what size snakeskins would fit the undercover, underpad, fly and a HH ultralight explorer all inside? would #4 be enough for that?

thanks!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    #4 snakeskins will work but you will have to remove the pad, I believe...

Sure, the undercover + pad would work as a deterrent to mosquitoes but I choose to spray the hammock with Permithrin...never got bitten so far and our state bird is the mosquito...

I find hammocks uncomfortable when temps are in the 80's and humid...I'd rather be in a all screen tent...
    Last edited by mataharihiker; 04-22-2008 at 09:14.

its going to be stealth camping so comfort takes a back seat to stealthiness

plus its going to be in the wetlands...

Images
    The HH UL with out UC is supposed to be extra resistant to mosquitoes due to the fabric used, but I don't think there are any guarantees. The SS UC would most certainly defeat mossys, IF the Mossys can't get between the UC and the hammock. It seems to me that they most likely WILL NOT be able to get in the UC in normal circumstances, but again it seems that it is possible that they might be able to get in there. Of course, the UC- as well as the hammock ( as MH pointed out) can be sprayed with Permethrin(sp?).

The UC will at least reduce the hammocks inherent cooling abilities by stopping any breeze under the hammock from giving you a bit of evaporative cooling. My guess is it will cost you 10 degrees. The pad will probably stop any mosquitoe bites by itself. But, above 80* I think I'd be too hot with the UC or pad and especially both together. Permethrin spray might be your best bet if it is going to be hot.

Deet damages various materials. What about permethrin? Any worries about the hammock fabric or ropes/webbing being damaged? I would like to spray my webbing to keep ants from crawling down into my No Net Claytor. Yesterday I was in the woods hanging. The Mossys were not out yet, so there was no trouble with the No Net. And I have been thinking about trying no net approach to save weight, and just using deet and a head net and clothing, as has been discussed on another thread. Especially when mossys are not expected to be terrible and its not too hot to wear some protective clothing.

But, while I was fine in my No Net yesterday, after a while I looked at my boots right under the hammock and large black ants were crawling all around and over them. So I figure if I had stayed there long enough, they would have crawled up the tree and down the straps to join me in the hammock.

So, any worries about permethrine on straps or hammock as far as weakening them?

PS: I just saw the thread on Deet/Permetrin, I'll check that out.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-22-2008 at 10:15.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    1. Permethrin. Spray any hammock and leave the extra weight of an undercover at home. Also spray your tree huggers to keep ants off of them.

2. Nothing will keep you from overheating on 80° nights.

3. #4 skins should work without the pad. You shouldn't have the fly in there anyway.

why not? i thought the fly was supposed to go into the snakeskins? if its dry that is

so #4 skins will fit the fly, hammock and undercover no pad?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anarky321 View Post
    why not? i thought the fly was supposed to go into the snakeskins? if its dry that is

so #4 skins will fit the fly, hammock and undercover no pad?
    Yes, it will fit without the pad, might be a little tight.

Most folks hang their tarp separately on the tree, then hang their hammock. This is a great way to do it if it is raining. Some folks at HH have recommended to me putting every thing- tarp/uc/hammock- in the skins. I have never tried this in heavy rain. There is a nice video at the HH site showing how slick it works. But, if you have a lot of condensation on the inside of your tarp, I think you are going to have to pack the tarp separately.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > why not?

Don't put the fly in the snakeskins with the hammock. You can't put it in there if the fly is wet as it'll get the hammock wet. You won't want it in there with the hammock if it's raining because you'll want to put the fly up first so you don't get the hammock wet. If the weather's dry so you don't have to worry about either of the above, you don't need the fly so you wouldn't want it in there anyway. Pretty simple stuff.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt
    Anarky...whichever you do...keep us posted...I've got the same setup and the skeeters are nasty around here...though they'll only be here in about 2 months....
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern
    2. My Pocket Rocket Stove
    1. My HH Ultralite with SS

after long deliberations ive decided to go with Permethrin and no undercover for the sale of simplicity, cheapness and heat dissipation (80* nights)

thanks for your help

• + New Posts