So I have been lurking around her for a while now, and have learned a lot of great things when it comes to hanging. I was in an REI not to long ago, and there was one HH expedition A-sym in all of the ENO hammocks. It was on sale and It was within my weight range. Since that day I have loved every night in the woods in my hammock. Most of my camping was done over this past summer and the stock tarp did it's job…..but I'm one of those guys that likes to build things, all sorts of things. After many hours of searching and reading I decided I was ready to make my own tarp. I borrowed my mother's Kenmore 1410 model thread injector, took the lead of some other forum members and put a few Ideas together. I oped for a cam poly tarp from the Wmart so If I completely botched it I would only be out 15 bucks. Got some nylon upholstery thread to accommodate the material, and some nylon strapping for the tie outs. I used a modified version of a pattern that was posted here by a forum member who's name i just can't remember right now. I give him all credit on the pattern, and I apologize that I can't remember whom you are at this time.
I got out the user manual and after several hours of oiling, and finding all the pieces , as the machine hasn't been used in probably 20 years or more. I had the first bobbin wound. Now I will preface this by saying I have never sewn anything ever, and there was a bit of a learning curve, but I enjoyed the challenge of learning something new. There were quite a few trial and error, and moments of cursing aloud. In the end I think I did ok. I got the tarp cut, hemmed, and tie outs on in a few nights of work every night when I got home from work.
The tarp came out to be roughly 10X12 with cat cuts on the edges to help reduce the weight of the poly tarp, and to help with the tautness of the pitch. I do understand that without the ridge line having a cat cut, it is not a true "cat cut" tarp. I do believe it will serve my purposes for now however, as well as along other than A-frame type pitches. I also make a bag and tarp sleeve out of the poly material as well.
I took quite a few pictures along the way just for documentation sake, so i figured it was about time I stopped lurking and start participating. So here is the link to my album that contains all the pics of construction, and pitching it for for the first few times. Comments and critique are welcome. I will use this experience as well as any comments on the work when I make a lighter weight silnylon version.