I want to get into hammocks on the cheap, and have been looking at some good DIY options. Here's what I'm looking at with an integrated underquilt:
- 1.9oz ripstop, 115" by 60" as the main hammock body
- Structural ridgeline
- 1" polypro webbing, lark's head-ed onto the hammock bindings and 4-wrapped to the tree
- 50" by 70" undercover of 1.1oz DWR ripstop, with "darts" along all 4 sides to create a loft cavity
- 13 ounces of 800fp down, providing 3" of loft.
To get started, I'm going to use my 20 degree bag as a top quilt.
A few questions I have:
- Do I need baffles to keep the down in place or will it loft on its own?
- If I need baffles, horizontal or lengthwise?
- Also, what's a good, dry, inexpensive tarp option to get started? I'm willing to make it myself.
- What's the best way to utilize noseeum bugnetting over my hammock?