Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Great blog write up and great video. I really like the comparison of the two quilts . You give great views and insight on both these quilts. The folks at Hammock Gear always cease to amaze me with their excellent customer service and the constant evolution of UQ's.

If you wanted I think it would be be pretty easy to switch suspension systems out if you like the thicker shock cord. All you'd have to do is run the shock cord through the quilt channels.

And good point that one lofts up more then the other. And I see what you are saying about the loftier one keeping you warmer. But for what it's worth I have taken a 3 season Incubator into the high teens before so I think both quilts would get you into the teens. But IDK how you sleep YMMV. Either quilt you choose is going to keep you warm and cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by SticksBlog View Post
    Although limited, with my experience, I think that the 1.1 is a good choice to be used on the outside of an UQ since it will more than likely be exposed to the elements and highly likely to harbor condensation. Saying that, I am very curious to see if the SevenD will be as repellent...
    This is what I am curious to find out as well when comparing the two materials. How water repellent 7D is and how it fights off condensation. I have a Winter Phoenix cuben inner/7D outer on order now so when I get it I guess I will find out.

Enjoy the warm cozyness of your new Phoenix regardless of which one you choose you got yourself a great quilt. And please let us know the out come of your decision.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    hey nice stick. is this what the new crowsnests will look like? or is that a one of a kind build?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wags, I am not sure if they will be making all of them with this design, or if he is just toying around with the design. Maybe Adam or Jenny will chime in eventually and they will be able to answer that a little better than I. Thanks though for checking it out.
    Jus' Sayin'

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i have one on the table there now. interested to see what comes...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi there guys.

Great write up Stick. You do a very through job and I like that. One thing I might note is that the first UQ we sent you, while the same width at both ends, is not a rectangle. It tapers out from the end to the center and then back in again when it gets to the other end. I typically measure the width at its widest point which is near the center.. The overall width on your first UQ (and a few others that went out in that batch) was a little narrow. We got that under control now though..The newer UQ should measure wider if you check the width around 18 inches from the head end. It should be right around 45".

The new design is much more shaped to the user of the hammock. It starts off at almost its widest dimension. It tapers out quickly to catch the shoulders, curves slightly to contour with the user's back, then begins to angle upward as the quilt leaves the buttocks area heading for the upper legs. I built this new design with the hope that it solves some of the issues that most quilts have with coverage of the area between the lower back and the knees. I am pretty sure that particular gap is one of the reasons the Triangle thingys were born. Most underquilts work best when they are snug up against the hammock user. Rarely is that NOT the case.

Regarding the loft. It looks like from the video that some of the down may have made it way into the foot end of the quilt. Move a little of that back out and you might see a little more loft. I have confidence that quilt will make it to the teens for the majority of people.

Regarding the shock cord. That 3/32 cord is still strong but it does tend to stretch a bit more. Do not be afraid to add some more knots to tighten it up to the hammock even more.. then you can cut off the excess and it will be even lighter!! LOL

One final note. Stick, if you send them both back, I will put another ounce in the 7d quilt and change out the shock cord for the heavier stuff. I might be able to russle up a label for that first quilt if you decide to go with it (plus it will give me a chance to catch that missed area on the grossgrain...been eating at me).

Wags, yours is actually almost off the table now. It IS the new design. However, since it rated for lower and it has a little more down and thus, a little more weight, I am using the 1/8 shock cord. We are pretty much making all of the new Phoenix quilts with the new design. It just seems to make more sense to do so.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    kid at christmas feeling i appreciate you sending the thicker shock cord even though you KNOW i count ounces. the proper marketing thing would've been to just send me the lightest quilt possible. thanks for doing the plain old right thing.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Adam,

Glad that you liked the review.

I had to go back and check, but in my review of the first one I mentioned that the UQ bellows out a little in the center, so I will go and annotate the second video where I refer to it as a rectangle. Also, when I measured the width on the newer one I measured just below the head end. I would check it out again, but they are already in the mail back to you... however, there is clearly plenty of width to work for me!

(I have emailed/PM'd you about sending them back. I will keep the newer model, but would like to add an extra oz of down and swap the shock cords out to the thicker ones.)

Anyway, I love my quilts and I am super happy to be the owners of them! A huge thanks to Adam & Jenny for their products and service!
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    the crows are a great bunch.

thanks for the post sticks... i'm awaiting my quilt too.
    its good to hear and see your ideas about the 7D and
    design of the quilt.

i wonder what to expect with mine, being an incubator/phoenix
    hybrid style. time will tell, as most will attest that hmmk and quilt
    perfection, or the 'perfect setup', is a never-ending quest.

adam, keep designing and perfecting...
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I need my tax return check ASAP...
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Are all of the phoenixes now being made with the new design? If so expect yet another order from me soon...!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast