Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Center Seam Tieouts

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of doing my first Silnylon tarp. Nothing fancy just a rectangle, but big...10x15. I want to do something similar to the CCS Tundra Tarp but with two panels. So my question is how do you make center seam tie outs like the CCS tundra tarp has? I can't get my hand on one to see the design and internet searches have been a dud. Any advice is appreciated.

Material being used:

Silnylon (10x15' rectangle tarp)
    Gutermann tera 50 thread
    microtex size 11 needle (If there is a better needle please advise)
    3/4" nylon webbing (Edging and tieouts)

-Toasty

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I haven't seen Gutterman Tera 50 before. Any chance it's Gutermann Tera 60, which has a Tex size of 50? If so, I believe that thread is somewhere between the commercial sizes of 46 (Tex 45) and 69 (Tex 70). The chart I have recommends either a 90/14 or 100/16 needle for thread size 46 and a 100/16 or 110/18 needle for thread size 69. If your thread is actually Tera 60 and it does fall between between those 2 sizes, a 100/16 needle might be better than a 75/11. I'm actually researching thread and needle sizes now (the search actually brought me to your post) hoping to learn about the correct combinations based on the various fabric types/weights. I really don't have much experience in this area, so my suggestion is simply based on the charts I've come across, not any real world experience. A 16 needle sounds like it might be a bit large for silnylon, but that's what my chart says is the best for that particular thread size. If I've steered you wrong, hopefully someone can educate us both. Good luck with the project.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    So with Sil, you don't want a heavy duty thread to build the tarp... Your going to punch holes way to big... Use a normal size thread like the Mara.

As far as the center or Ridgeline tie outs... Just use some grosgrain ribbon and stitch it to the center of the tarp. Stitch it like you would a tree strap loop. It's going to be plenty strong enough.

I've found the lighter thread, back off the top tension on the injector and go slow is the best way to sew SilNylon...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Spaceman, you are correct it is Tera 60 (tex 50). I am in the same boat as doing some research and seem to have found a wide range of needle recommendations. I might try Microtex size 12. Will post up my findings.

FJRPiolt, Thank you for your recommendations will do some research on that as I am very new to all this.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    You may want to reinforce the tie out patch style with some oxford or cordura or similar fabric under the webbing to prevent ripping out your pullout.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    By center seam, do you mean the ridgeline?

If so, you can attach the 2 panels by simply sewing the panels together about 1/4" from the edge. Forget the webbing for the tarp outer edge, not necessary. After sewing the panels together, make a rolled edge by double folding the edge and sewing all the way around the tarp. This gives your tarp a finished edge.

Now that the edge is finished, fold the tarp in half (the sewn RL) and fold the webbing in half over the tarp RL. Let the webbing overlap the tarp ends by 4".

Starting at the extended webbing, fold 3" back to the tarp and start your sewing here. This will give you a 1 inch loop for your Center Seam Tieout with 2 inches of reinforcement. Sew the webbing over the RL to other end remembering to fold back 3" of webbing at the other end. Make 3 bar tacks at the tieout for reinforcing the loops.

Add webbing for the guy line tieouts and side pannels if desired and your done.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Now that the edge is finished, fold the tarp in half (the sewn RL) and fold the webbing in half over the tarp RL. Let the webbing overlap the tarp ends by 4".

Starting at the extended webbing, fold 3" back to the tarp and start your sewing here. This will give you a 1 inch loop for your Center Seam Tieout with 2 inches of reinforcement. Sew the webbing over the RL to other end remembering to fold back 3" of webbing at the other end. Make 3 bar tacks at the tieout for reinforcing the loops.

Add webbing for the guy line tieouts and side pannels if desired and your done.
    There are other ways of doing this. Have a look at several commercial tarps or pics here at HF to see options.
    YMMV.

Floridahanger, Thank you for the advice. I do mean the ridgeline.

Muttysquirrel, would i still need to add extra fabric for the tie out. even if i sandwich it between the rolled hem and nylon webbing? My guess would be that most of the stress would be taken equally by both.

VictoriaGuy,perhaps people here on HF are willing to post some pics up of their setup??

Mostly looking for a close up of tieouts on ridgeline with out having the extra fabric to add on like the CCS tarps. but if its not possible i will add reinforcement.

Thank you all for the info

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by toasty23 View Post
    VictoriaGuy,perhaps people here on HF are willing to post some pics up of their setup??
    Have you tried a search here?
    Also, if you posted a pic of the CCS tarp (whatever that is??) detail, it would be easier understand your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasty23 View Post
    Mostly looking for a close up of tieouts on ridgeline with out having the extra fabric to add on like the CCS tarps. but if its not possible i will add reinforcement.
    If you have used a flat-felled seam for the ridgeline, it's already a 'strong point' IMO. You could just sew the webbing to the ridgeline seam. Reinforcement fabric patches never hurt, IMO - look online at 'clew reinforcement' on sails for some ideas. It's also a chance to add pockets for the guylines if you want.
    'Folding' the ridgeline and then sewing webbing to it (like one commercial tarp) means that the side tie-outs are trying to rip that seam open- not the strongest arrangement, and probably the reason that you'll never see that construction in most commercial products.

Some info about the tarp
    http://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.co...&categoryId=12

A good visual review from a user:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ke-Tundra-Tarp

It seems like the tie outs in the seams are sandwiched between the fabrics into the seam. Did do a search but nothing like i was looking for. I come here for a fix o my DIY craving

Again thank you all for the info.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast