Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    FWIW it looks like Sport has some heavy fibers mixed in. That should make it expand faster and be a bit less compressible while it's worn. Think filling space between a body and a car seat.
    Does anybody have a link to loft vs weight or how to handle the material. Their site does not seem to support the DIY folks.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thought I'd post an update in this thread.

I made a heavier winter quilt out of the loose fill thermo and was initially fairly impressed. It lofted up to nearly 5 inches (baffles were about 5" wide by 3" high), and was excellent into the upper teens.

That said, loft retention has been poor. I've used it for probably 20 nights now, and have found that the thermo has indeed clumped together inside the baffles, even with an extremely generous overfill. (Roughly 3 lbs of filling in this quilt!). Loft is now 2-2.5 inches, and the fill seems to be compressing in the chambers.

I was cautioned that extremely small baffles were necessary to control the fill, but I still remain skeptical and made mine a little larger. That seems to have been a mistake. While the loose primaloft thermo DOES loft up largely at the initial insertion, it tends to cling to itself over time, rather than re-expanding and lofting.

I will try to split the baffles up from the outside, but I suspect I will run into the same problems again with each subsequent compression cycle. Would I do this again, I'd go the extra mile and use down. Much better longevity in the long run, I think. I suspect I'll use this quilt as a car camping quilt for guests.

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    That said, loft retention has been poor. I've used it for probably 20 nights now, and have found that the thermo has indeed clumped together inside the baffles, even with an extremely generous overfill. (Roughly 3 lbs of filling in this quilt!). Loft is now 2-2.5 inches, and the fill seems to be compressing in the chambers.

I will try to split the baffles up from the outside, but I suspect I will run into the same problems again with each subsequent compression cycle. Would I do this again, I'd go the extra mile and use down. Much better longevity in the long run, I think. I suspect I'll use this quilt as a car camping quilt for guests.
    Hey Kestrel, I know this is an old post but do you have an update on your "Thermo" quilt or did you bin the idea altogether? I'm broke and looking into the idea.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I am really glad that i found this thred as i bought 10 pounds of this and have not gotten around to making the quilts yet, my wife does all the sewing and works 6 days a week so it looks like it will have to stay in the boxes for now unless i can find someone to make or sell me some tq shells. but this is all great info and i will be watching this thread for sure.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I am really glad that i found this thred as i bought 10 pounds of this and have not gotten around to making the quilts yet, my wife does all the sewing and works 6 days a week so it looks like it will have to stay in the boxes for now unless i can find someone to make or sell me some tq shells. but this is all great info and i will be watching this thread for sure.
    Where did you source it from?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Where did you source it from?

http://www.downlitebedding.com/#!pro...26%20Polyester

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Thanks Zilla!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123