Thread: what degree bag

Hammock
    modified lawson
    Suspension
    whoopies

Smile what degree bag

Hi,
    I'm new and planning a thru in march of 2012. I've been hammock camping for a couple of years here in fl. I'm planning to use an inflatable bag pad for insulation. What degree bag should I buy and how much do they usually cost? Thanks in advance for your replies and any other advice for staying warm in my hammock.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    FoB- pop over to "WhiteBlaze"- they have a section dedicated to all aspects of Thru hike planning. The thru hikers I have talked with use (2) one warmer bag when they start -as they are catching the tail end of winter in the Smokies and then a summer set up for the rest of the trip.

I am like you in that I started with the idea of using my sleeping bags with my hammock set up...I am now transitioning to an top quilt & underquilt setup. My sleeping bag was pretty heavy and my pad set up was not comfortable OR warm enough! A standard progression from what I read in this forum.

Happy hiking-see you on the trail.

Hammock
    Clark Ultralight
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    Montbell bag
    Suspension
    Tree straps, rope
    I'm also a newbe to hammock hiking and also planning a thru starting in March next year. I currently have a $400+ Montbell 15 degree bag and it's going to have to do. My wife would get the gun out if I started talking top quilts and under quilts. I plan on using a closed cell pad under the bag in the hammock. That said I will hang the hammock in my back yard this winter so if it is too cold I can easily bail into the house. My only other option would be to go back to my tent for the start of the hike and I don't really want to do that.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Some people are not only able to get comfortable with a pad, but actually prefer them to under quilts. But the major advantage with a pad is the ability to go to ground easily. Of course the AT has no lack of trees and one should never have need to go to ground when thru hiking it. The CDT and PCT may be another story though, I'm not terribly familiar with those.

As to the OP, look around your local REI/outfitter shop and see what they have available. Or even consider using a top quilt with a pad. We have several great cottage manufacturers here that produce outstanding equipment.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts