Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

Climashield Question

The threads about climashield the past couple of days have gotten me to thinking and doing a bit of searching for past threads ab out UQs made with climashield.

From the threads I looked at, most UQs that folks have made with climashield were darted in some manner. However, I noticed one thread about a quilt that was built flat and used draw cords to adjust the shape of the ends and sides (will have to look that one back up)...being a bit simpler, that method sounds pretty appealing (I'm one of those 'keep it simple as possible' and don't overcomplicate it sort of folks). Are there any problems with that method of construction? Would it be detrimental with respect to holding in warmth?

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Steve:
    If you look up the plans for a KAQ Patomoac UQ you will see that it is made with Climashield and darted to meet the contours of a Hennesy Asym Hammock. Then there is the KAQ New River UQ which is like you describe. It is basically a rectangle of Climashield between two layers of nylon, KISS to the extreme. It has channels on the ends that allow the end to be cinched up. You can purchase these items from Paul @ Arrowhead Equipment. I have two of the KAQ NR's and have used them in temps to the mid 20's, YMMV! I also made, with the hwlp of Mandydawn, a couple of these quilts from a Kit that Paul sells. You are in Newnan, GA I see. If you would like we are going to be out around Mt Cheah this weekend at the Turnipseed Hunters Camp and you are more than welcome to see a KAQ NR in person and we will let you try one of the 3/4 length DIY UQ if you would like.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Thanks BBG, I'll give Arrowhead a look.

Wish I could make it over to check out your quilt...Cheaha isn't all that far...but we're headed out of town for a day trip with the kids...
    Last edited by Steve D; 10-06-2011 at 14:29.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Tell ya what, If you want to try the 3/4 DIY to see if you like the material and insulating properties before you buy or DIY yourself drop me a PM with you address and I we can work something out.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Tell ya what, If you want to try the 3/4 DIY to see if you like the material and insulating properties before you buy or DIY yourself drop me a PM with you address and I we can work something out.
    Hey, thanks for the offer! That would give me a chance to see it up close and personal and make some notes about how yours is constructed. Thanks for the offer...PM on its way... Ain't HF grand?!
    Last edited by Steve D; 10-06-2011 at 13:00.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Darting a quilt is not all that difficult. It just takes a bit longer in the construction. It also gives you a bit better fit on the hammock . . . no gaps and cold spots. Also, if you make the head and foot ends narrower, you can cut off A LOT of weight of the quilt. My full length under quilt made from 5 ounce climashield weighs in at around 19-20 ounces. Because it is shaped. I used the HF kick *** quilt instructions modified slightly for my shaped hammock.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I was able to get a company to donate a roll of Climashield to our troop for a DIY project 5+ years ago, which resulted in a lot of quilts and a lot of scraps. I used some of the scraps to fill a channeled UQ this summer. The UQ was very warm, but I am working out the bugs on the suspension and snugging part of it. I am a big fan of Climashield as it has always kept me warm, compresses very well and holds it's insulation value better than other products when wet.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts