Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minicel Pad

Images
    OP here, still waiting on my shipment. The reason I sprung for the 1/16" was:
    1) price
    2)
    2) claims that minicel is more insulative and moisture resistant than other ccf.

We'll see .. ..

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I recently got the 1/16 mini-cell.
    It seemed to form really well once I got it laid out correctly,
    but it did slip some-but just a tad.
    I am re-thinking this though and will probably go with a 1/8.
    It was just really flimsy, I accidentally tore it at one point on the foot end
    (little duct tape fix) but it did perform well as far as insulation is concerned.
    I would like to hear others' experiences with the 1/16 or 1/8.

Images
    OP here, just got my discount roll of Minicel in the mail. Here's my report:

First, I have a Thermarest Z-Lite which I've been using to much delight for several years. It's very lightweight and comfortable. I haven't found anything on the market that matches it's warmth/comfort-to-weight ratio.

I received a 50"x74" cut of Minicel @ 1/8" thickness. It weighs approx. .40kg
    Compare that to a 20"x52" cut of Z-Lite @ 1/4"thickness. Approx. .30kg
    See Photo #1
    So, 50"x74"x1/8"=462.5 cu.in. @ .40kg Minicel
    Or, 20"x52"x1/4"=260 cu. in. @ .30kg Z-Lite
    (Keep in mind the Minicel is more than twice the area of the Z-lite)

Even at more than double the amount of padding, the Minicel takes up less space than the Z-Lite. See Photo #2

The Z-LIte is 1/4" thickness. See Photo #3
    The Minicel is 1/8" thickness. See Photo #4

The Minicel is double-ply, lie the Z-rest. It also has a slick side and a sticky side.

So, I'm expecting to trim this Minicel down to the size of the Z-Lite or similar, double-it up, and gain the same width, more warmth, less space, and less weight.

Disclaimer: I think the Z-LIte is MUCH more comfortable (based on carpet testing to lie on. However, for hammock purposes, the z-lite is problematic and I am hoping the Minicel will be more adaptive to the fluid shape of a hammock than a rigid z-fold 1/4". If I know I'm going to ground, I'll bring the Z-lite. Since that's not an option on this site, I think Minicel is the way to hang!

Field testing in a week!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    Looking forward to the review!

I'm interested in the Minicell as well. Was bout to order, but dang shipping is $13. Will need to see if some other locals want to go in and get some, shipping is the same so far upto 4 Minicells. I've been needing a W I D E pad and I really like the size of this and the possibility of tapering it down pass the thigh/knee area.

Looking forward to the Review as well.

SMSP

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I've got this thread on my radar and will be watching for skoolbyrd's test results. I normally use a UQ but would not mind have a soft flexible pad in my hammock hanging bag of tricks.
    Terry

So skollbyrd, what your latest impressions?

I ordered two the other day. I really only need, but since they are so thin, I could use them as single when needed and then double it when needed. Also, after looking in my area, couldnt find a source that was comparable. I did find some 1/8" ccf that is 60" wide at a local uhpolstry shop, but they wanted 12.95 yard. So that $13 shipping wasnt looking to shabby afterall.

Anywho, I'll post my impressions once rec'd and used some.

SMSP

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

R values

Foams have a wide range of R values depending on the size and density of the bubbles, as well as the gas used to make them.

I was searching the OP link to the manufacturer to see if the R value was listed for microcel but couldn't find any stat.

The typical closed cell blue EVA foam pad that is 1cm thick has an R value of 1.4. I imagine you could cut that rating in half for a 1/4 inch foam to 0.7, and about 0.45 for 1/8 inch. (R-3.8 per inch)

Big Agnes lists an R 1 pad as being good down to 35f (1.6c).
    Last edited by dimeotane; 12-11-2011 at 22:06.

Got mine in today. Shipping time took awhile, but I wasnt in no hurry.

One pad has a hole in it towards the end and is significantly thinner than the other. Pics attached to show the hole. Kinda disappointed in the one with the hole in it. I will be contacting the company for some customer satisfaction. Either a refund for that pad, or they can ship me another.

Yeah, I could cut the pad down to get rid of the hole, but then the pad would turn into about 70" in length. Not a biggie I guess, but I didnt order nor pay for a pad with a big hole in it. IDK, just ignore it? Or what?

Well, the other pad is what it is as the OP posted. I messed around with it in the hammock some this afternoon, definitely need a double hammock to use it IMO. Not sure if I'm gonna cut it down or not. Leaving it in tact would allow for multi use purpose. I'll get to using it so I can update that aspect soon.

SMSP
    Attached Images Attached Images

After communicating with Foam Factory Inc., the following was a part of their rsponse...

"We would not be able to offer any kind of discount since our website does state that the sheets might have some blemishes and imperfections, and sizes are to an approximate."

Part of my response to that, "Very disappointing to hear that a whole that size is considered a 'blemish' and/or 'imperfection'."

Who reads all the fine on this kinda stuff? Perhaps I should have. But, they have offerred a call tag to be sent to me to return the pad and get another.
    I am not 'bad mouthing' this company, just passing on my expereience.

SMSP

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast