HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

What's the best insulation for a HH?

I have a ultralight backpacker HH on the way to the house. So what's the best insulation to keep me warm? I live in Alabama so it doesn't get crazy cold but I do get out in 30 degree weather sometimes.
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Are you looking for back packing or car camping? Synthetic or Down? Is a pad an option or are you looking for an UQ. If your looking for an UQ their are many vendors here on HF who make excellent under quilts. Hammock Gear, KAQ, Jacks R Better, Te-Wa, Warbonnet, Leigh Lo are just a few to name. But out all all the vendors my go to is Hammock Gear. The quality and craftsmanship are top notch. I find the 3/4th length is the perfect medium between a full and any thing smaller. I'm digging the new design. Wider in the shoulders then tapers down. I am also a big fan of the channel suspension in comparison to end tie outs. It's also the most customizable in reguards to what materials you choose to use. 7D, Cuben, 1.1, or any material that you source yourself and ship to him. But ultimately the best is the one that works best for you.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Insulation for hiking. Hammock gear keeps coming up and I like the 3/4 but it's almost $200. Anything cheaper?
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Arrowhead equipment makes a less expensive KAQ synthetic UQ. I've head good things. Me personally I prefer down, especially for backpacking. Lighter, more compressable, high warmth to weight ratio. I do have climashield apex TQ which is great and suprisingly very compressable.

I believe a UQ is the most important initial investment for a hammock set up. You can find low cost alternatives that will do, but the only low cost alternative to a UQ is a pad, and that's no good in my opinion.

My UQs are from Adam at hammock gear and are beyond amazing quality. He also has great customer serivice. $200 for a UQ is beyond worth it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster View Post
    Insulation for hiking. Hammock gear keeps coming up and I like the 3/4 but it's almost $200. Anything cheaper?
    Ditto to what exup said but if you you don't want to spend the money on down then a pad is a great alternative. You can also look into the pad extenders and of course their is always the DIY option. You can also keep you eye on the WTB section some times some great deals pop up and you can get a great UQ for a bit cheaper.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Under insulation is just one part of the sleep system. There's the bag or top cover, and sleepwear to list just two other parts. The hammock, the weather, the condition of the hanger...all and more affect the temperature rating of the system...which is always specific to the individual.

In other words, the answer to the question is, "Who knows?"

My suggestion is to start light, simple and cheap and then do a backyard experiment with your system (ya' don't want to learn its shortcomings on the trail). I started with a light, thin pad from Oware and never moved on. That pad, with the rest of my system, keeps me comfortable in the mid-20s. Not bad for a 7oz, twenty-four dollar pad (current Oware pads are a smidge thinner and 6oz).

As always with temp ratings and sleep systems, YMMV. Have fun!

FB

• + New Posts