Thread: first trip help

jakegreen123

first trip help

i have a traveller lite hammock. i have made poncho liner underquilt and got a full length car shade, an inflatable thermarest pad, and a peice of 1.5 in polyester batting that will wrap around my upper body. im using a oold shower curtain that was huge for a tarp. i have a 0 degree mummybag i will unzip and use as topquilt. i was wondering it this setup would take me down to abt 40 degrees?

Images
    Welcome to the forum from middle TN.

I think you should be able to handle 40deg easily with all of that, but the only way to be sure is to test. I spent many nights last Feb.-Apr. in the yard testing/upgrading my gear. I could not get the windsheild sceen, or pads, to work for me with a bottom entry Hennessy, so sorry I am not more help.

If you are at home in the yard and you get too cold, you can go in and try something different next time. I had a few 2am bailouts getting things just right. And you are starting at the perfect time of year. By the time I had my gear together the lowest temps I could test in were the low to mid 30's. So I will be sleeping in the yard again in the upcoming months to test down to 15-20 degrees.

Ragnall

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Welcome Jake. That setup sounds like it should get you to your desired results but only field-testing will reveal the truth. It depends upon many factors but it sounds like you're off to a great start.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For me? Yes, definitely (from the sound of it, it would probably get me down into the upper 20s, but I'm a very hot sleeper). For you? I don't know. Testing will tell, though.

Ragnall is definitely right that testing in the yard is best. However, should you lack trees in your yard (or a stand) to tie off to, car camping is the next best thing. Bring what you know will keep you warm at those temperatures with a "traditional" set-up and then test the stuff you're not sure about. That way, if you have a bad night, you have all of your extra gear there to fall back on--and, if the absolute worst happens, you can always get in the car and turn the heater on or drive back home.

Also, welcome to the boards!

jakegreen123
    Thanks much, guys. I'm attempting my first hang tonight so time will tell. I got a few snaps to hold my pads and such in place, so I'll snap my pads to my poncho liner to keep it in place. The snaps will be installed when i figure out the best spot for my pads tomorrow morning. An update will be in order next week, seeing as this first trip will be living off the land for a week. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    what kind of snaps?
    I'm new here. Have not heard of these.

ty

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The poncho liner UQ gets me down to 45-degrees or so. Even more if I add an additional layer under my butt (Insultex, insul-brite, etc.)

The windshield reflector will certainly help, but you may end up capturing moisture under your back... give it a try.

The therm-a-rest will be overkill, IMHO. The real trick in a hammock is a wide pad, or an underquilt. Without a wide pad, your hips and shoulders get cold...

Lots of us here use mummy bags as TQ's, I took an old REI bag from 100 years ago, cut off the hood and zipper...

"Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts