DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    The VAT (and customs fees) are of course included in everything you buy (in a store, or from a web store within the EU), the difference is that when you import something yourself, it becomes much more obvious.

OTOH, it's a gamble. Sometimes it just slips through customs unnoticed.

Images
    There is a small bright side, one US dollar = $1.35 in Euro's that's a bit of a discount.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    There is a small bright side, one US dollar = $1.35 in Euro's that's a bit of a discount.
    Except we don't use euro's here(and thank god for that).... we use danish "kroner"....
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Except we don't use euro's here(and thank god for that).... we use danish "kroner"....
    The “krone” is tied very closely to the euro.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    On the bright side in regards to your taxation I understand your country is often ranked quite high as one of the happiest place to live and that in the 2008 report on the Human Poverty Index (which measures things like life expectancy, literacy, long term employment ) for 2008 you ranked #5 out of 22 countries that were studied. Canada was only #8. Cold comfort maybe, but at least you have some great insulation to keep away CBS caused by TWS (Thin Wallet Syndrome)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post

But it's not as great as it usually is reported(unless you ask the people with the top income areas)... but it sure sounds good in the news paper when we are supposed to be some of the happiest people on earth(which funnily also is one of the counties that gets most antidepressants pr inhabitants)
    Well, I don’t agree completely with you on that one Bomber.
    Scandinavians seems to be a very content people in my eyes.
    I am having a rather low income (working 20 hours a week as a nurse aid), but on the other hand I have no vices (apart from hanging), so my money goes a long way. I feel very happy and lucky that it is Denmark that I live in.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Would a Dane or other European here say something about local gear makers or outfitters? Surely, some of the Hungarian (and more Polish than will be acknowledged) goose down goes into local, Continental-made quilts, conventional sleeping bags or others.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post

Scandinavians seems to be a very contend people in my eyes.
    I am having a rather low income (working 20 hours a week as a nurse aid), but on the other hand I have no vices (apart from hanging), so my money goes a long way. I feel very happy and lucky that it is Denmark that I live in.
    My wife wants to move to Denmark or Finland. She too thinks your quality of life is very high. Also known for a high rate of entrepeneurs. Regardless, I agree with you on the hammock gear being of high value. Cost and value are not always synonymous. In this case, they are.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Would a Dane or other European here say something about local gear makers or outfitters? Surely, some of the Hungarian (and more Polish than will be acknowledged) goose down goes into local, Continental-made quilts, conventional sleeping bags or others.
    They are expensive!(living and working cost's are somewhat higher here), and a funny NB to the above; i've been searching for polish or hungarian goose down for about a year now, with little or no succes(even though Poland is only a few hundred miles away) so it's still cheaper for me to buy european down shipped to USA, mail it back to Europe then going thru customs again??? go figure

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Scandinavians seems to be a very contend people in my eyes.
    Well you do live in another region of the country, living cost's is decently lower + you have no kids(very expensive hobby i Denmark!)just schooling and after school activities is over 1000$ every month!

And we are still the country that uses most SSRI in the OECD by far + we have some of the highest suicide rates among young people. And the social services that take care of lonely and marginalized, is overworked to the max...... doesn't seem like a super happy place to me(from my view point that is)(i think you've been spending to much time in the woods mate)
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Given that this thread was mostly about costs and taxes associated with import to various countries, I think it has run its course. It's not fair to single out Hammock Gear (this is their subforum) as this is the case with all vendors. The larger quality of life/societal/taxation issues aren't really relevant for the forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123