Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images

Snugpak Poncho

I have always been pleased with the Snugpak line of products. They are carrying a poncho now that is pretty good.
    Way oversized in the back to cover your pack. Short arm sleeves to cover them as well.
    Weight- 13 oz / 370 grams.
    Found mine on Amazon for about $48 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-Snugpa...8258572&sr=8-2

Another piece of gear for my son and I to fight over who gets to use!
    Here is another good picture showing all the features.
    http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/snug...rolponcho.aspx

DKPerdue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I did a search and this surprisingly was the only thread I could find regarding the snugpak poncho. Lots of folks have picked up their jungle blanket and other products for hammock-related tasks.

There's another thread on the AdventureWorld Lightweight Backpack Poncho. I picked up one of those which is cheaper and has more color choices than the snugpak. In the end though I didn't care for the hood or the silly zipper back panel and opted for the snugpak version.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I'm very impressed with the sleeve length, including the thumbholes in the cuffs. With the other poncho I envisioned water running down my wrists while hiking with poles. I don't believe the snugpak will have that problem. The hood is much larger and should easily fit a ball cap or boonie hat.

One feature from the Adventureworld model I actually liked was the combination of a loop and toggle at the poncho bottom. This hooks between the legs and keeps the bottom from flapping too much in the wind. This is one item I may add to the Snugpak.

The chest map pocket is kind of odd in that there's a gap behind sort of like the front pocket on a "hoodie". I'm not sure of the purpose though because it won't really hold much without getting wet or falling out so I think it might be sort of a manufacturing oversight. So far I'm pretty impressed with the product. It's going to stay in my EDC bag for those days when it's pouring out and I have to trudge to my car after work.

There is a poncho type raingear called The Packa that is more versatile than a plain poncho, and better coverage. The maker was at Trail Days last year. Here's a Shug video of it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXao8pqLtk4

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I had a Packa for a few weeks and didn't warm up to it. I hike in warm weather (Florida) and found it way, way too hot in anything but a downpour on a Fall trip. I've used several different jackets over the years with pack covers and always found the soaked straps and hip belt very annoying. That's what sent me to ponchos. However, my "backpacking" poncho from equinox has an extended back so it will cover the pack but the area can be secured from flapping with some velcro tabs when not needed. That's far from a good solution either.

I got a chance to try out this Snugpak Poncho during a downpour this evening. I wasn't hiking but realized the downspouts on my porch were clogged up and the rain was coming down in buckets, causing the gutters to overflow. So, I dawned my new poncho and set to work on the stepladder raking leaves by the handfull out of my gutters. It was wet, dirty work and I worked up a bit of steam. However, my head through my knees stayed dry. The bottom edge of my shorts got a little damp from the poncho snagging going up and down the ladder I assume. The fabric has a very good DWR coating as the water beaded into droplets very nicely and rolled off. The hood is very deep and has a zippered chest slit with a storm flap/pleat on the inside. I'm going to keep this poncho in my EDC bag I bring to work with my other items (flashlight, leatherman, first aid, etc.). I hate umbrellas so this will at least serve as my "keep me from getting soaked walking to my car" piece of kit in between hiking trips.

The body is easily wide enough that I could sit down and pull my knees inside if I needed to wait out a particularly nasty storm. I'm hoping to never need that feature. The addition of some pit-zips would be a nice feature but with the wide body I believe that I'll basically "pump" out the heated humid air through the neck hole while hiking.

• + New Posts