Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Underquilt combos?

Howdy folks, so I have been looking on the internet and trying to figure out an under inuslation solution. I am still using my Therm-a-rest pad, so I can not wait to purchase an UQ. But I am taking my time and doing my research. Whilst searching the wild wild web I stumble across Molly Mac gear. The Molly Mac IX seems like a great solution down to 40 degrees as per the TTT Gear website. But I was wondering, if I was to purchase the insert as well, how low could that get me down too? The description on the website is a bit lac luster. My ideal UQ situation would be one that I could use it 20 degrees...if I had an UQ that I could use in the fall and then add an insert in the winter, that would be seemingly ideal. Thank you for your input!

Any err, any other suggestions you may have Was also looking at the Lighthiker Bedroll plus insert to hopefully achieve the same results. Not sure if I am misleading myself or not
    Last edited by Deadphans; 10-10-2011 at 22:00.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Howdy folks, so I have been looking on the internet and trying to figure out an under inuslation solution. I am still using my Therm-a-rest pad, so I can not wait to purchase an UQ. But I am taking my time and doing my research. Whilst searching the wild wild web I stumble across Molly Mac gear. The Molly Mac IX seems like a great solution down to 40 degrees as per the TTT Gear website. But I was wondering, if I was to purchase the insert as well, how low could that get me down too? The description on the website is a bit lac luster. My ideal UQ situation would be one that I could use it 20 degrees...if I had an UQ that I could use in the fall and then add an insert in the winter, that would be seemingly ideal. Thank you for your input!

Any err, any other suggestions you may have Was also looking at the Lighthiker Bedroll plus insert to hopefully achieve the same results. Not sure if I am misleading myself or not

I'll take a crack at this. The reason why the info is a little "lack luster" because temperature rating is so subjective/personal. But I have some (limited experience) with using IX insulation now.

I used my Universal IX UQ (no longer made) into the low 50's with only a t-shirt and shorts. My top got cold, but I was toasty from underneath. I recently used it on my hike last weekend and it got down into the mid-40's. It should be noted that I had an uninsulated hammock sock around everything, but still only had on a single pair of light pants on. I was fine until about 7:00 am and had to put a thin vest between my hammock and the IX UQ to deal with a small cool spot on my butt.

I think your plan is a solid one, and one that I use myself. If I were to purchase IX UQ again, I'd buy several inserts (2 or more)...I'll probably pick a few more up later in the year.

You could however just spend the money to buy a lower (temp) UQ and rely on your ability to set an air gap to regulate heat in higher temps. Just another possibility. That's what I did last year, and spent this year picking up stuff (IX and hammock sock) to help me "fine tune" my rig. It worked out great because I knew I was covered for colder temps with my JRB ORM, but now have the ability to experiment with warmer temps and insulation options...while having a safety net in my heavier insulated gear.

Cheers,
    Mickey

P.S. I'm a "warmer" sleeper and tend to generate a lot of heat when sleeping.
    Last edited by Mickey.223; 10-11-2011 at 08:15. Reason: amplifying information

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    To add to the discussion, I have the Shamu full length IX UQ and a full length IX insert. As Mickey.223 said, UQ warmth and comfort is subjective so here's my take as a *cold* sleeper.

With just the Shamu and no extra insert, I could sleep in the mid- to low-40's comfortably with base layers top and bottom, wool socks and a wool beanie. With the Shamu and the extra IX insert, I'm able to sleep comfortably down to the mid-30's with the same base clothing plus 100 Polartec top and bottoms. Both conditions were without a tarp--just the stars above. I suspect with a tarp, a warmer top and bottom, and fleece balaclava, I could get down to the lower-30s or upper-20s. I'll be trying that when we get those temps maybe later this month or next.

For me, the maximum capability of the Shamu was achieved by cranking the UQ up tight against the WBBB and really closing up the end channels.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    PS: Forgot about the top cover! In both conditions, I used my WM 20* sleeping bag opened up and used as a TQ. During the HG Labor Day Sale, I picked up a Burrow TQ so I'm really looking forward to seeing the range of temps I can go down to comfortably with my setup.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze View Post
    With just the Shamu and no extra insert, I could sleep in the mid- to low-40's comfortably with base layers top and bottom, wool socks and a wool beanie. With the Shamu and the extra IX insert, I'm able to sleep comfortably down to the mid-30's with the same base clothing plus 100 Polartec top and bottoms. Both conditions were without a tarp--just the stars above. I suspect with a tarp, a warmer top and bottom, and fleece balaclava, I could get down to the lower-30s or upper-20s. I'll be trying that when we get those temps maybe later this month or next.

Wow edbeteze! I may have to re-think my options here. I really like the idea of using the IX UQs in humid/wet conditions since there really isn't any part of them that will retain and transfer water through to the hammock. Now I'm thinking it might be my sole choice for wet & cold conditions too. Just when I thought I was done purchasing hang'n gear...

Thanks for sharing your experience with IX.

Cheers,
    Mickey

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Thing1 and I often have used Baby Orcas down to freezing; we leave our clothing on and use a down TQ. We are both warm sleepers. I think for most people, 45*F is a reasonable expectation. Be sure to watch for condensation, and ventilate as soon as you detect it.

I have used five layers of IX in a sock with an IX TQ at 10*F, but I much prefer all breathable insulation in those conditions and colder (canvas sock, down UQ, down TQ, no tarp).

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I have used five layers of IX in a sock with an IX TQ at 10*F, but I much prefer all breathable insulation in those conditions and colder (canvas sock, down UQ, down TQ, no tarp).

- MacEntyre
    OK! OK! Twist my arm why dont'cha? But seriously, I've been considering getting the canvas sock for the NJ Winter Hang in February. I've always been a little intimidated by the idea of it (deep winter hammocking), but after experiencing the effects of the sock, I think I'll enjoy it. I better start saving some fun cash.

Cheers,
    Mickey

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    CoolDays can vouch for this:

Last February, on top of Roan High Knob, it was blowing 20 to 40 knots, and the temps were at or near zero. I hung without a tarp, inside my canvas sock, with nothing but a Speer Snugfit UQ and a Speer Top Blanket. I wore a wool shirt, wool socks and wool pants without a jacket or sweater. I never felt the wind, nor any cold spots!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    down mat
    Suspension
    Whoopies dutch bu
    Really good info about the humidity. I have lots of trouble with it here in La. Great question, thanks!

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I can't really say much about the actual question but wanted to chime in that I really like my Molly Mac insulated hammock sock. I've used it happily as my sole under-insulation on cool late summer nights and as a supplement to my UQ down to something like -36F. A really nice piece.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast