Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammocks for Fat Guys

I would really like to construct a hammock that would hold my fluffy phiz. It will need to support my 6'2" frame with the 300+ pounds it currently contains. There are plenty of places here in NC where I could hike off some of this blubber but sleeping on the ground is not an option. I have tried to search the forums here for posts on the subject but with less than great results.

I think I could make the simple gathered end hammock described so thoroughly by Ron but can't seem to determine what material to use. I understand one can use two (or more I suppose) layers of a heavier rip-stop nylon but I can't see how to go about it. Are the two layers stitched together in some way before proceeding with the construction. Are they simply folded?

Anyway if some kind soul could point me to some other posts on the subject or provide a description of the process (and any other tips) I sure would be grateful.

Dallas

Hammock
    Clark NX 150
    Tarp
    XL
    Insulation
    20 deg Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock for heavier people

Hi,
    Here is a graph from the Clark Jungle Hammock website. Their hammocks aren't cheap, but they are well made and can hold a lot of weight. I own the North American and the NX-150 models. Here is a link to the graph that shows their height/weight comfort zones. When you get to the site, click on the comfort tab to see the graph.

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i am 6'2" and about 260 lbs. i use a single layer 1.9 ripstop diy gathered end style hammock. my suspension is 1" tube style webbing from REI connected to a rings system and climbing rope loops to connect the hammock to the suspension. it is not the lightest (1 1/2 lbs) thing out there, but knowing it will hold my weight was what i was looking for. you were right on with making a double layer hem all the end first then just sew them together. after that sew a channel in each end to run the whipping and you're done. i have some pics you can check out

Hops

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Material recommendations from Warbonnet's site:

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/hammocking101.php

Look around in the DIY form for plans. There are several.

Or check out Hennessy:

http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/big_and_tall/

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    thunderheart:
    As a fellow bigguy hanger I can tell you that I have successfully hung as well from a single layer DIY gathered end hammock made of 1.9 oz ripstop nylon that I ordered from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (www.owfinc.com). I used 7/64 amsteel for the suspension whoopies and ridgeline and 6' 1" polyester seatbelt webbing that I ordered from Strapworks.com. It held me with no issues and was a very comfortable hammock. Due to the material being seconds, I found some weak spots in the weave of the material, I have decided to make a double layer hammock out of some digicam material that I got from OWF as well. Go to www.diygearsupply.com and look in the tutorial section, there are some great 1 page shots that show how to make a hammock, tarp bugnet and many other things needed for hammock camping.

If you are not wanting to go with the DIY route, I can highly recommend hammocks from Clark(NX-200 or NX-250), Warbonnet (Blackbird 1.7 DL) or Eagle Nest Outfitters(ENO Doublenest) for bigger hangers. I have personally used all of these hammocks and presently own the NX-200, WBBB DL1.7 and ENO DN.

I hope this helps you out and if you need any help ask the folks here on the the site or drop me a PM and I will try to answer your questions.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have slept in a Grand Trunk SBP several nights. and I am 6'4" and 305 lbs. I now use a WBBB 1.7 DL and have no issues. I have used 7/64 Amsteel without issue also.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    My buddy is living larg as well he had a custom speer he made. But for "out-of-the-box" check out hammock bliss triple wide.
    http://hammockbliss.com/Hammock_Bliss_Triple.html
    Last edited by Triggerhpy; 10-07-2011 at 09:41. Reason: mis spell
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Banned
    Hammock
    WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well brother I am with you. I am six foot three and 320ish. You could make a hammock or there other options for you. The Eno double nest would work, Hennessy has the safari without bug nets in the sale for 49 plus shipping and that for sure work for you. I just ordered one for myself. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up going with.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'm right in that size range, about 4" shorter and about 10lbs lighter, & counting. I have used an Eno Double Nest but experienced some shoulder squeeze. Enos, and a lot of commercially available hammocks, are made from 1.7oz/yd^2 taslan nylon (aka parachute nylon). It is strong and will hold the weight, but the stretch can make them uncomfortible for the 300+ hanger.

I moved on to a 1.7oz/yd^2 double layer War Bonnet BlackBird. I experience no shoulder squeeze in the BlackBird, it is extremely comfortible. Either the nylon taffeta has less stretch than the taslan (supposed to be the other way around) or that second layer makes a huge difference in load distribution.

If you gonna DIY your own hammock you should probably start with the 1.9oz nylon and be prepared to make it a double layered design if the stretch squeezes your shoulders too much.

Suspension: I just use a all-in-one whoopie sling from whoopieslings.com it will hold twice my weight easily before failure. I also use standard whoopies w/ sperate straps & toggles, they work fine as well, but I use heavy duty Al toggles not arrow shafts.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 10-07-2011 at 10:06. Reason: Suspension
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    You can find plans for constructing a double layer hammock from DIY Gear Supply. As others have stated you may be fine with a single layer of 1.9, but the double layer will give you two nice bonuses. The first will be that the added layer of fabric will help reduce stretch and be a bit firmer, which may cause thehammock to be more comfortable for you. The second bonus is that it gives you the ability to use a pad for bottom insulation, which is a great economical way to get started. The third bonus, just thought of it and didn't want to go back to edit, is that whne the bugs come out to play, and we get some serious bugs here, the double layer will help to prevent them from feasting on your backside.

What part of NC are you in? With as many hangers as we have in the state its likely atleast one lives near by and would be willing to let you look over their setup.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast