SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Perhaps due to blowing in it, my current BA Insulated pad just isn't insulating. Seems to lose heat during the night. That's why I freaked out and bought the Exped which had an R-rating nearly double the BA. Has an integrated pump so no need to blow moist air into the pad. Worked so well that I'm trying to find more ways to utilize it.

Sounds like if the 25" BA slips in easily, then I should be able to use the 26" downmat. I'll email the Jacks to see what they say about it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

BA Air Core

I've been camping for the past year or so with a BA Air Core in my Hennessy with a regular sleeping bag -- VERY ANNOYING as it was very hard to keep the pad underneath!!! This year I bought myself a 15* BA Encampment Sleeping Bag to help with that, and though I've only got to test it out once, it worked fantastically.

I also just picked up a used BMBH here on the forums, and will be trying the above mentioned suggestion of the partially-inflated air core pad in the sleeve of the hammock with the BA Bag on top and possibly an older down sleeping bag converted to an underquilt. I'm currently looking through the forums to see if I can get that done easily and cheaply !

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    Mt Wash/Big Agnes
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I have the Exped Downmat. I like it. I have not been down in anything lower than 40s yet but both times I was too hot.
    I only inflate it half way and it is more than comfortable.
    I have gotten used to the tippiness, and haven't come close to falling out....YET!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

temps

Quote Originally Posted by F15ECrewChief View Post
    I have the Exped Downmat. I like it. I have not been down in anything lower than 40s yet but both times I was too hot.
    I only inflate it half way and it is more than comfortable.
    I have gotten used to the tippiness, and haven't come close to falling out....YET!
    Yeah, I think the plan for me would be to use my MW short UQ into the upper 30s, and then use the downmat from there, maybe supplementing with the UQ.

However, due to weight concerns of carrying the downmat (and bulk), I think I'm going to go the double layer traveler route.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Anyone ever tried to put a 2 inch or so air pad inside of the BMBH? I have a self inflatingThermarest Prolite Plus 25" wide pad with fitted sheet for ground camping that is very comfortable. My guess it would be the center of gravity would be too high? I have not yet converted to hammock yet, but thinking the BMBH will be my choice .

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Anyone ever tried to put a 2 inch or so air pad inside of the BMBH? I have a self inflatingThermarest Prolite Plus 25" wide pad with fitted sheet for ground camping that is very comfortable. My guess it would be the center of gravity would be too high? I have not yet converted to hammock yet, but thinking the BMBH will be my choice .
    I have the wide version of the Thermarest Trail Lite pad (25 inches wide).

It works great.

I already had underquilts before I bought my BMBH though so I use them for various reasons (weight, packability, etc.).

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    Thanks Tendertoe,
    I understand there is a pad sleeve under the hammock but would it work to also put the pad inside of the hammock itself? ( maybe that is what you meant) Only wondering because, I like the feel of the fitted sheet I have with my Thermarest pad, and would be nice to have that under me inside the hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Thanks Tendertoe,
    I understand there is a pad sleeve under the hammock but would it work to also put the pad inside of the hammock itself? ( maybe that is what you meant) Only wondering because, I like the feel of the fitted sheet I have with my Thermarest pad, and would be nice to have that under me inside the hammock.
    I would use the sleeve IMHO, it keeps the pad locked under you.

If you put the pad under you IN the hammock, it can slide all around and out from under you entirely.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB Mw3/ HG Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's / Dutchware
    I see, I kind of figured that would happen in a traditional style hammock, but did not realize that would be as big of issue in a bridge style, but makes sense.

Tendertoe, I am guessing that 25in thermarest pad you have spreads the hammock out nicely as well?

thanks.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    ALCON,

The JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock pad pocket is 26 inches wide, 80 inches long, and will accommodate a pad up to 2 inches thick. Using a pad this wide and thick will raise the center of gravity approximately 1 inch.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast