Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images

A questions about the NW

So, as some of you know, I've moved to Oregon (Portland) recently. So I have a couple of questions for the locals:

I want to understand the weather here a little better, specifically the wind and cold weather extremes (compiling winter gear slowly and want considerations for quilts... right now my plan is a 40degree burrow with 2oz overstuff and a 40degree phoenix with 2oz overstuff and a CCF pad for the feet). Also the bug conditions and typical bug seasons. I currently have a WBBB 1.0 DBL and am considering a traveler to save some weight, but if there is a significant bug season there's no way I'm giving up that puppy. I also am using an Edge tarp currently if that matters.

Note* If I switch to a traveler there is no footbox, and will consider an Incubator with 2oz overstuff instead of a Phoenix.

I know I could always get a separate bug net if necessary, but If I'm going to be using a bug net often (like in the smokies) then I might as well keep my BB. Also I can't afford to ADD a traveler hammock to a BB setup... or I totally would

Please let me know what you think, any opinions you have on the subject, considerations, things I might have not thought of, cute puppy pics, etc, etc, etc...

Thanks!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    In general I stick to a 20 degree bag year round, same would apply for quilts. If i get hot I unzip, or just use a bag liner. I dunno how much the overstuff helps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I think a 40 degree with 2oz overstuff would get me pretty close to freezing temps, especially if I add clothing into the mix. I already have a summer Phoenix without any overstuff, it's kept me warm down to the 50s.

Also wondering if that's the range I should be looking at. Doesn't get too far below freezing temps in the smokies unless you are at really high elevations... but the high elevations out here don't have trees to hang from!
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast View Post
    I think a 40 degree with 2oz overstuff would get me pretty close to freezing temps, especially if I add clothing into the mix. I already have a summer Phoenix without any overstuff, it's kept me warm down to the 50s.

Also wondering if that's the range I should be looking at. Doesn't get too far below freezing temps in the smokies unless you are at really high elevations... but the high elevations out here don't have trees to hang from!
    During the summer bugs can be an issue, winter not so much.

I use a 30 degree bag and got cold for the first time on my last
    trip out (27 degrees)
    I plan to get something rated much lower soon, most of our great
    hiking areas come with some elevation and that means snow
    and colder temps later in the season.

If you don't want to buy two complete setups, I would get a 20 degree setup. If you only camp 3 season I find a 30 works great.

Other than that, get a good rain setup.. And learn to like the beautiful rain!

I lived in Oregon for about 15 years. Oregon is a diverse state, even in the winter. In winter you can camp along the coast, and almost never get close to freezing. Or you can go up to Bend and camp in the snow. My advice: take advantage of the coast during the winter, and then move higher into the mountains as summer approaches and the weather warms up at the higher altitudes. As for bugs, while there are bugs in some small areas, but in general Oregon is amazingly bug free. Go east from Salem and you'll be able to find Old Growth timber to camp in - something you'll never forget.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Snow exists on the high trails, above 4000 ft, until mid July most years. While it is 70* during the day, it still cools off at night, even in Aug. Bugs are voracious around snow melt, so until the snow is gone from the high trails in mid July. I have been attacked by skeeters, at elevation, in Aug often enough to keep me in my WBBB.

Your insulation plan will work nicely, but I would plan on keeping the WBBB until such a time you can afford 2 set ups. Not often I don't want some sort of net for the bugs.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    I'm a native Ohioan, and just experienced my first 'season' out here.

What I've learned, as others have already said thus far:

I'm happy with my HG 20* quilts- but wouldn't hesitate to bring my
    0* stuff, esp. if you plan some high elevation hangs.
    In July, just outside of Bend at a NF campground, it was 88*
    during the day, and dropped to 36* overnight. I learned
    quickly what pushing temp ratings equates to, especially when the
    conditions can change so quickly.

Bugs...I've experience the "particularly voracious" Three Sisters breed
    of mosquitoes in Aug. at Scott Lake--- worst I've ever encountered, period.
    That said, the other dozen times I've hung at different locations, I could go
    net-less once the sun dropped and the cold set in for the night.

This past sunday, it rained- and rained some more. I've come to appreciate
    my WB bigmamajamba with door kit- and probably will until June.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

Yo.

Don't be afraid to go over what you think you'll need warmth wise. The weather can be pretty unpredictable here. I have been in the high desert in central oregon in the middle of summer when it was close to 100° and it dropped well below freezing at night. I have also been on the coast range in october during hunting season when it was in the high 80s to low 90s during the day and had it drop below freezing with a torential downpour at night. Even the weather people are wrong 90% of the time. Always pack for rain and cold (even in summer) and you'll be fine. The weather here is the reason i splurged and bought a clark. Spendy but warm. Congrates on the move. You'll come to love it here.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    Sorry. Forgot about the bugs. I was just volunteering at a foot race called "Race the Reaper" a couple weekends ago and got tore up by "NO SEEUMS". Tiny little blood suckers they are. Wasn't in my hammock that weekend so I'm not sure if they can get through the netting, but they got through the screen in my trucks topper. Just a heads up, these things are vicious.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    I appreciate all of the input. I think I'm going to go with a 40degree Burrow with 2oz overfill, and then a 20degree Phoenix (cuben fiber / 7 D) and also keep the WBBB. Btw I'm messing with the spreadsheet and I still have a few things to weigh out... but my ideal 3 season (colder weather) base weight is under 11 pounds! That includes rain jacket, down jacket, and iPhone, but not extra change of clothing, food, water, and Apple Pie. Also note I still have to buy / sell some stuff... but that's the end goal. Once I get the last few things weighed out I'll try to somehow post my spreadsheet somewhere up here. (Terrible with computers)

Thanks again for the input!

Happy Hangin'
    Ben
    Pass the Apple Pie

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast