WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=neo;58135]i have been hammock camping 6 years now and i think the the clark is to short,to narrow,to heavy,way to pricey,to many stupid guy lines.it gave me a terrible neck ache,you could not give me one,but then again each to his or her own.the clark is built for really short people built like a tooth pick,that is my review of the clark neo[/QUOTE

Wow! That was a sterling review Neo...but don't be shy...tell us how you REALLY feel about the Clarks. Regarding the weight, my daughter's Clark is lighter than the Claytor's by quite a margin. I do have to agree with some of your other comments although I would probably be a bit more diplomatic in my approach. I actually have my eye on the new longer Clark as I really like the weather shield. I think it would make the hammock quite a bit warmer. I'm not crazy about their tarps. I wish you could buy just the hammock at a lower price and then acquire your own tarp. I may check into that possibility.

Having said all that, I think the Clark is a very high quality hammock, abeit a bit quirky, and should be included in any review of serious camping hammocks. BTW....my daughter loves her Clark but did replace her tarp with of all things, the infamous "Neo" Sportsmans Guide Tarp!

Keep on hangin' on, Miguel

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    the hammock is only 44 inches wide and 98 inches long to small to lay flat neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    the hammock is only 44 inches wide and 98 inches long to small to lay flat neo
    They state the new one will be 6" wider and a foot longer. That puts it at about 50" wide and just a hair over 9' long. They state their measurements as being "inside' measurements. I believe the Claytor is 10' by 4'. (outside measurements) I'll be giving it a good look.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH EXP-ASYM CAMO
    Tarp
    HH ASYM CAMO
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    4 is hardly even somewhat inclusive to the field of hammocking.

there are so many, it just makes me wonder if that mag is useless.

i'll stick with the forum here.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    That's funny im 5'11" and 242 lbs and I love my clark but like you said to each there own about the guy ropes 6 lines is not to many and most other tarp systems have 6 as well unless you use a neo tarp which I do at times with my other hammock you have 4 guy lines. price some of them are getting up in price but your paying for quilty and being made in USA not china or vietnam or to the like you getting it here made here and and not just some company in the US selling them and then sending the order to off shore country to send it back to me.

as for the width and lenth of the clark They do now have a new version of the N/A it is longer and wider than the older model and will be ready to order this coming month as advertised on there web site.

But none the less Backpacker mag has did it again and just showed how company politics go.

Won't be buying there mag anymore.

cavediver2
    You'll have to excuse Neo, he lives in Wacky Land.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    You'll have to excuse Neo, he lives in Wacky Land.
    you dont even have a clue dude lol neo
    the matrix has you

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OTOH, I kind of wish BP would stay away from hammocks. If it becomes highly recommended by them, the number of hammockers could double or quadruple in a couple of years. There are various reasons why that might not be a good thing for current hammockers.
    I am interested in this aspect of the discussion, as it has come up several times. Is this really going to be a problem? It seems with the versatility that hammocks provide, we should be able to work around the problem of too many hammocks for trees. How about a titanium version of the one tree hammock stand that could be shared within the group? This way, if you found a site, but didn't have enough trees, you could break out the "crutch" for the person who couldn't find a spot. If it were strong enough, the crutch might be able to suport more than one person and if it were tall enough, you could even tie out your tarp on it. (Or multiple tarps...) I think we should develop this idea; A friend of the family is good with metal, and I know he would help me out!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalin View Post
    I am interested in this aspect of the discussion, as it has come up several times. Is this really going to be a problem? It seems with the versatility that hammocks provide, we should be able to work around the problem of too many hammocks for trees. How about a titanium version of the one tree hammock stand that could be shared within the group? This way, if you found a site, but didn't have enough trees, you could break out the "crutch" for the person who couldn't find a spot. If it were strong enough, the crutch might be able to suport more than one person and if it were tall enough, you could even tie out your tarp on it. (Or multiple tarps...) I think we should develop this idea; A friend of the family is good with metal, and I know he would help me out!
    I don't know about most who post here but I am into keeping my packweight light and this does not include any metallic additions...and yes, it can be an issue...I've camped where there we had 5 hammock campers and not all that many ideal hanging trees...if you car camp most established campsites (state park and national forest) are set up for RV's and tents...you have to really be lucky to find a site where you can hang a hammock...that's up here in the Great Northwoods...I can't speak for other parts of the country...

Images
    if you do a lot of car camping then a portable stand might be worth the investment. I was thinking of getting one just for when I visit relatives who don't have other adequate means of hanging a hammock on their property. I wonder if they would be hapy that they won't have to change the linen or insulted that I'd rather sleep outside.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I don't know about most who post here but I am into keeping my packweight light and this does not include any metallic additions...and yes, it can be an issue...I've camped where there we had 5 hammock campers and not all that many ideal hanging trees...if you car camp most established campsites (state park and national forest) are set up for RV's and tents...you have to really be lucky to find a site where you can hang a hammock...that's up here in the Great Northwoods...I can't speak for other parts of the country...
    This sounds like a perfect time to use such a device, even if it is metal. If the crutch was made of Titanium, perhaps it could get down around 3 lb. Your group could have split that weight between everyone, and it would be insignificant compared to the reassurance that you will be able to find a place to camp.

I agree with you about the way the campgrounds are set up. It is a shame to get to "The Great Outdoors" only to find out that you are going to be camping about 30 ft. from people on your left and right!

I see this thread has been started about this, so I will continue here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4075
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 04-25-2008 at 15:11.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast