Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How To Use a "Footpad" w/ a UQ

Hey all,

I've been pondering the full length vs 3/4 length UQ question like all the newbs do before their 1st UQ purchase and I was wondering...

How do you use a footpad (small ccf foam pad) in conjunction with a UQ/TQ/Hammock?

I own a WBBB 1.1 DL and a converted Rab Quantum Top Quilt. It appears as though most people put the pad inside the footbox of their TQ. Is this the accepted way? (Other options might be outside the TQ on top of the hammock or inbetween the double layers on the hammock).

Thanks,
    Sean

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Try them all, use the one that works for you. I've only got a single layer so the "in between the layers" is kind of out. With my quilt I'll put the pad in the footbox or between the quilt and hammock. It really depends on how big the pad is and how well it fits in the footbox. I use a pair of 20x30 pads on the trail. I can stack them both in the footbox, or just one, or put one under my back and the other across my shoulders in a "T" configuration. It just depends on the temperature and how I'm dressed.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I know you are looking for ways to use a foot pad with a 3/4 UQ maybe to lower your Pack weight but I don't use a pad that way. I use a full length quilt because I move a lot and have never really like the way a pad feels under my feet. Never felt very warm either. So I use full length UQ and I carry a torso pad. If it gets really cold I slip the torso pad under me where needed. If you have a 3/4 UQ and a foot pad what will you do if it gets colder than expected? What if you need to go to ground? There are lots of folks here that do what you have in mind but I'd rather have options and comfort then to save weight in this area.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I have one of the thermarest sit pads. I love the pad, but when ever I used in my top quilt as a foot pad, it would flip over my feet as I slept. I pulled out the pad that is in my GG Mariposa pack which is more of a closed cell egg crate pad and it worked great. So I do put the pad inside my top quilt.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I use a 3/4 UQ with a 20" x 20" x 1/8" gossamer gear pad for my feet, sitting and backpack pad for my murmur. I only use it as a foot pad when I have to. I find mid 30s is when I need to use it. Honestly, I hate it. It just gets bent up and doesn't stay in place in the foot box of my TQ (I toss and turn a bit). And its really not that warm. Needless to say, I still can't justify the extra weight of a full length UQ, but I'm considering it for winter.

I do have a gossamer gear nightlight (egg crate) pad, 20" x 30" x 1/2"? And that stays in place much better stay a good bit warmer.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    With a partial underquilt, you just need a pad to cover your legs. It could go between the layers of a double layer hammock, or it could go into the footbox of your top quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I generally use a 3/4 with the therma rest sit pad. I put the sit pad inside the foot box of my quilt and wallah. Every time I've put it under neath a layer of a dbl or in a single I always find it moves around to much. Putting it in the foot box of your tq has always kept it in place for me.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm gonna have to experiment a little bit.

The footpad seems like a kind of a PITA to be honest buy we'll see

The old 3/4 or full UQ question is going to be the death of me!

I like full because it seems simpler and more comfortable.

I like 3/4 b/c it can be lighter & a longer pad would be go-to-ground insurance.

*sigh*

Sean

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

3/4 or full

3/4 great in the warmer weather down there in GA but if you do a lot of cold weather I would go with the full. I have also heard that in a WBBB a full is alot more comfy than the 3/4 because the edge of the 3/4 hits your calf. I had this problem and it has cost me a lot of money. If you don't mind the little extra weight go full.

• + New Posts