Hammock
    Modified ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wally World DIYer
    Suspension
    DIY Treehuggers

Looking to upgrade my suspension, but I have a couple of questions.

I am still a newb around here and as my first DIY endeavor I would like to upgrade my suspension from the ENO slapstraps. I do like the idea behind the slapstraps and I basically want to mimic them with a better (read: less elastic) material and with a few tweaks of my own. So my questions are:

1.)What material of webbing would be best for this project? Nylon? Polyester? Something else?

2.)Is there anyway to know if a particular type of webbing would be strong enough for this project if it isn't specified? (Specifically, I found some relatively cheap webbing at the local Hancock Fabrics, but I was unable to determine a weight threshold or anything like that at the store)

3.)Not really a question, but I welcome any and all ideas, or suggestions regarding this project what with me being a relative DIY virgin and all.

Lastly, if there are any other threads that might be relevant, I welcome anyone to direct me to them as my efforts to research guidance on this were fruitless, it may just be that I am not accustomed enough to this forum yet to properly navigate it.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    1) polyester straps will work good, nylon stretches especially when wet, avoid nylon

2) most of the vendors on here sell it, you could check strapworks.com too

this thread might be of some help http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=webbing

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I have used ratchet straps from harbor freight to hang when I needed the distance (my pre whoopie sling days) and they held up fine.

Polyester is the preferred because it doesn't stretch like nylon tends to.

Check out Dutchware. The guy makes some really amazing suspension hardware making setup and take down really fast and easy.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Modified ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wally World DIYer
    Suspension
    DIY Treehuggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    2) most of the vendors on here sell it, you could check strapworks.com too
    I didn't mention this in the original post, but I kind of want to avoid buying things off the internet if at all possible because it pains me to pay shipping & handling.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaskin7 View Post
    I didn't mention this in the original post, but I kind of want to avoid buying things off the internet if at all possible because it pains me to pay shipping & handling.
    30' of webbing from http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/ is only $4.95 s&h, i can't run to my local stores for that and it shows up at your door

but i understand, the shipping and handling prices get pretty out of control sometimes, ordered a 2oz tube of hydropel the other day and it was $8 for shipping and handling

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you don't want to order anything online, a really simple idea would be to get some polyester ratchet straps from a local hardware store and 4 descender rings from a local store that sells climbing equipment. Ditch the stock biners, and use the stock rope and girth hitch them around two descender rings per side. (Can't remember if there is enough rope on the ENO to do this so you may have to undo the knots). Then, either sew some loop on the webbing straps or make loops with a water knot and you are done. Put the loop ends around the tree the same way you did with the slap straps and the descender rings can now be used as cinch buckles and you have way more adjustability than the slap straps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts