Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another quilt idea..........

I've been constantly kicking around how to easily make my own quilt. Like most, if not all, of us here I'm financially ...well, broke! I've also never sewed before. So here's an idea that keeps coming back..let me know what you think.

Take sheets of ripstop nylon, Climashield, and no-see-um netting and basically create a sandwich of the Climashield. Sew around the edges and to stop the insulation from moving around sew all three layers together every 10"...basically pinching the layers together.(I think that's what it's called)

Next, create a bottom sandwich just like the top. The only difference would be pinching/sewing offset from where I sewed thru(pinched) on the top sandwich. This would prevent lining up the pinches of the top and bottom sandwiches. Then, I would sew the top and bottom sandwiches together along the edges. That's the basic rectangular design but I would hope to add a footbox and some Omni tape. Anyone ever tried doing a quilt like this? Suggestions, complaints, etc., are welcome.
    Last edited by Splat; 04-23-2008 at 18:47.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I think that's a great idea, in fact I suggested a similar one a few months back. No one at the time thought enough about it to answer, so I am glad I saw your post. The beauty of your idea is versitality. You could add a layer for winter by just tacking on another one on the outside and by turning the quilt this way or that the sewn thru layers would never line up. Go for it. Just leave plenty of room in the quilted boxes as to not restrict loft, that 900 fill is fragile! Good luck.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    I'm having a little problem following. My question is why do you even need the netting? Why not just sew 2 layers of synethic insulation inbetween 2 layers of ripstop?
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Skinner, so I take it you didn't try your idea then?

(edit) HE, I had this thought. You posted after I wrote this here:
    I'm going to try it. I think I might omit the no-see-um netting though. In fact I can't remember why I thought to use it anyhow.

I just read on the Climashield site "Climashield® does not require a scrim to keep it in place. It doesn't clump, shift, or migrate so it doesn't need to be quilted." I've also read of some guys creating their own ponchos and sleeping covers(same as a quilt?) using Climashield without any baffling or loops. It appears that Climashield is stronger width-wise than length-wise, which would lend argument to pinching it every X-amount of inches length-wise down the bag. Also, I wonder how the Climashield will be or act after compression. Adding the vertical stitching should keep it in place well even after compression. Methinks I'll try this and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Splat; 04-23-2008 at 20:27.
    Splat

Images
    Cool. There is a good number of people here that have made quilts out of the stuff if you have any more questions.

I would still use quilting loops. Namely to keep the whole sandwich in place. I think the nylon would balloon up, but that is just me.

Plus if you don't it is only a blanket and not a quilt.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I would still use quilting loops. Namely to keep the whole sandwich in place. I think the nylon would balloon up, but that is just me. Plus if you don't it is only a blanket and not a quilt.
    Only a few hours ago I finished my first bicycle ride of the season. 20miles to get the blood pumping and remember how to ride again. So right now my tired brain can't fathom why it would balloon if each Climashield sheet was sewed to the nylon next to it. You're pro'lly right. Time to hit they hay and think about it some more.
    Splat

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    NCPatrick will chime in at some point no doubt.
    he bought a top quilt by fanatic fringer last year & ended up returning it because it had no quilt loops & would constantly "balloon up" into his face.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Just can't seem to turn off the PC yet. I just found this great little tutorial about adding loops. I don't know why I thought it was so hard!
    http://tinyurl.com/46h4vz Looks like I may do the loops afterall. BTW, Slowhike, I like your sig-line. Cheers.
    Splat

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splat View Post
    Just can't seem to turn off the PC yet. I just found this great little tutorial about adding loops. I don't know why I thought it was so hard!
    http://tinyurl.com/46h4vz Looks like I may do the loops afterall. BTW, Slowhike, I like your sig-line. Cheers.
    thanks Splat.
    and yeah, the loops aren't hard, just a little time consuming<G>
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, not hard to do quilting loops, and well worth it. Here's the thread where I was complaining about the outer insulation ballooning up in my face with the Fanatic Fringe quilt. It didn't have quilting loops.

Air gets trapped in between the two nylon layers and pushes outward when you move. The effect is like one giant nylon balloon blocking your nose and mouth and condensing the water vapor from your breath onto the quilt. You can end up with a cold, wet balloon rubbing against your face every so often. Not very pleasant overall.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast