Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by exup View Post
    Many use the amsteel straps in the same way they would webbing straps, but put a small dead trail stick about every 8" or so to disperse the weight away from the line. But I'm sure plenty have used it without doing that as well.

What's a couple ounces for the sake of hammock acceptance? And for the chance that the trees may actually get damamaged.
    Yep, that's what I do when using whoopies. I went back to the webbing and cinch buckle suspension though.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    Tinny is a cool dude who has greatly enriched the backpack community with his stove designs but on this topic we disagree.

I've damaged bark using my 1in straps over the course of a dozen afternoon hangs using the same 2 trees this summer. The damage would have been much worse if I had been using a thin cord. Also straps are less likely to slip down the trunk when the hammock load changes quickly.

I did laugh at his "this isn't some young girls loins, this is a . . .tree" comment
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I've thoroughly enjoyed Tinny's videos on other things...but have to say that this one sure seemed geared to disparage hangers.

I like the effort to scientifically demonstrate his viewpoint, but there were a lot of flaws...and a lot of biased comments...in the video and his 'proof'.

His tests SUPPORT what everyone has demonstrated with the amount of force generated in hanging at various angles.

What he DIDN'T prove was what the potential damage could be on various types of trees, with various ropes/supports, and various weight's of different sized hangers. Nor did he do anything that demonstrated peak forces generated when someone like me tosses around inside his hammock switching positions several times/night.

Between that, and the "tone"...just kinda left a sour taste after watching this video.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not sure how to take Tinny's video.

I've followed Tinny's vids for a couple of years. I've seen him flip flop on stances before. He didn't advocate hammocks now he's a staunch hammocker.

He made fun people who counted grams now he's a gram counter himself.

I've challenged the status quo on here plenty of times... but I did it off the grid. And for the most part every time I challenged I met failure or at least I wasn't comfortable in a hammock. I've learned from trial and error that most senior posters on this forum pretty much know what they are talking about.

Was his test incomplete? I'm not sure but I wished he had more tests done... 1) 2 scales one on either side, 2) he could have used rope to attach those scales instead of pounding in hooks, 3) he didn't lay down in the hammock, 4) he really didn't move around.

But that's just me.

I know he's been guided by one of our forum members here. I wonder what his take is on Tinny being so public about this stance.

Personally I find it mildly annoying that someone who really hasn't had much hammocking experience under his belt be so forth comming with sarcastic videos toward a community that basically paved the way for him to have so much comfort now.

But, as others have said, he has been the leader in the UL stove niche. Perhaps that allows him some leeway???
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Recently Tinny at minibulldesigns has posted some video on hanging with out using tree straps- just the whoopies wrapped around the tree. . . .
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Hooch you love that pic today don't you!
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Hooch you love that pic today don't you!
    I love it every day from here forward.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    I wouldn't think the risk of causing some sort of long term damage to a tree would be worth the tiny weight-savings. Sure, one guy hanging with no tree straps on different trees all the time MIGHT never cause any problems. A light pack is cool, but adding a risk of damaging trees to save 2oz just sounds lazy not efficient.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee and I very rarely use straps anymore. 99.9999% of the time we use rope huggers.

Now having said that I must also say that where we hang, we are totally confident that nobody else has even been there for years and there will nobody there for years to come.

Since nobody is there we have no concern about others perception.

Also, we hang on the same tree at most 2 nights and we don't have to be concerned about others hanging on the same trees the next night, or the next, or the next.........

If we were on the AT or some place similar it would be a totally different story. Not only because of the perception of others and maybe others following our example, but if enough people follow Tinny and the same pair of trees start getting used many times a week or month or year there would be a definite problem.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    It's happening! The un-tree-hugger apocalypse!

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Well, there is only one reasonable thing we forum members can do: Create our own video demonstrating proper technique, expounding truth and reason, and using real math the support our claims of virtue and honesty! Fight error with the sword of justice!

Hangers of the world, untie and use straps!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast