Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I had never sewed a thing in my life. I bought a machine on Craigslist and brought it home. After figuring out how to thread the machine and do some minor adjustments, I did a few practice stitches on a piece of ripstop. I swear, within 30 minutes, I was knee deep into making a ridgeline organizer. It turned out great! After a few projects now, my wife tells me my daughter wants me to fix a pair of her pants. Sorry, I gotta draw the line somewhere. My manhood is at stake. Bottom line, just crank up that darn thing and start injecting!
    After I made my first couple hammocks, I went and fixed the seams in a pair of pants. Then my gf had me add some straps to a previously strapless dress. I get a kick when she tells people I sewed the straps, because they look pretty darn good if I do say so myself.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    WL-Tad Pole -Black
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/MSH/Whoopie
    I believe my wife is offended that I want to learn to sew. Kinda like "it's her thing" and I am stepping on territory if I learn to sew?

She even said the other day "you're not going to Joann fabrics by yourself are you?". Seemed to think its weird a man shopping fabric stuff.

I'm going to self teach myself to sew anyway.. Why not.
    TRIUMPH
    Go Your Own Way

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Bah! It's called being a tailor. Been tailors around forever. Also, remember, it's not sewing it's making gear. The hem you do is a reinforcement, the straps you add to a dress are tactical backups to stop a wardrobe malfunction, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I had never sewed a thing in my life. I bought a machine on Craigslist and brought it home. After figuring out how to thread the machine and do some minor adjustments, I did a few practice stitches on a piece of ripstop. I swear, within 30 minutes, I was knee deep into making a ridgeline organizer. It turned out great! After a few projects now, my wife tells me my daughter wants me to fix a pair of her pants. Sorry, I gotta draw the line somewhere. My manhood is at stake. Bottom line, just crank up that darn thing and start injecting!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    I agree we must retain our manhood, theres nothing wrong with sewing but becoming the housewife is just too far

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by enoorange View Post
    I believe my wife is offended that I want to learn to sew. Kinda like "it's her thing" and I am stepping on territory if I learn to sew?

She even said the other day "you're not going to Joann fabrics by yourself are you?". Seemed to think its weird a man shopping fabric stuff.

I'm going to self teach myself to sew anyway.. Why not.
    Hey now if the wife wants to be the only one sewing you should get her cracking on all that gear you want LOL.

But really the way I look at it, its another skill I've learned. Can't go wrong with knowing more things. I know carpentry, welding, glassblowing, and now I can sew. Going to have to learn stonecarving next. Actually blacksmithing would be sweet to learn.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Stormstaff, "tactical straps to avoid wardrobe malfunction". Loved that one. Yes, it's a matter of perspective, isn't it. Knowing what to call something can make all the difference.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    But really the way I look at it, its another skill I've learned. Can't go wrong with knowing more things. I know carpentry, welding, glassblowing, and now I can sew. Going to have to learn stonecarving next. Actually blacksmithing would be sweet to learn.

It's only fair though that those that are just starting should be WARNED

Thread injecting will effect one's brain. You will begin to look at things and then ask yourself, can I make that? That's when you know ur hooked!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Dude, sewing is a skill thats worth learning (and if I can teach my self, anyone can!)--------if nothing else, just to customize your gear---stuff sacks etc. you can really make your gear system fit you and your hiking style. Plus, the creative side is really fun. Last year i designed a backpack just for hammock camping--------I'm still perfecting the design, but when I see it hanging on a peg in my closet, its a pretty neat feeling to know that its the only one in the entire world! literally one of a kind!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Check out ramblinrev's videos. Get your lady to show you a few tricks. Take your time, and don't rush. Once you get going you will get the bug, and the gear will start appearing out of knowhere. start with a couple of stuff sacks.
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Hey, I can't sew a straight stitch for the life of me, but I'm still doing it. My hems are ugly, my bartacks are pathetic, my pleats are puckered; but I'm still doing it.

It has been said that Kung Fu is Talent+Practice=Skill, lots and lots of practice.

Q: What do you do if you can't sew?
    As a little green guy says, and as in John Sawyer's signatire...
    A: "Do or do not, there is no try."
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY WBBB & HH Clones
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    after reading this thread I'm inspired to give DIY a go. I was looking at buying an UQ and TQ, but would love the satisfaction of making my own - it doesnt have to be pretty.

I havent used a sewing machine since primary school - but i just got off the phone to my mum and I'm going to go pick up her machine tonight and give it a whirl!

now to watch some of ramblnrev's vids...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast