Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

What to do if you can't sew

I own a sewing machine, (its hers) but don'e know how to use it and don't have any of the tools to get started.

should I get the stuff and learn or find a place to do it for me?
    I only want to do a TQ and UQ, is it worth buying all the tools and time spent learning and doing it wrong, or should I pay somone to do it for me? if so where would I go for that service.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    should I get the stuff and learn or find a place to do it for me?
    No one can decide this but you. If you want to learn and may decide to do other projects in the future, then it is worth learning and getting what you need. If you have a Jo-Ann's or other sewing shop, most have classes to teach you what you need to know.

should I pay somone to do it for me? if so where would I go for that service.
    Again, if you would rather not learn to sew, then there are several around the forum that can help to name a few: Hammock Gear ; Arrowhead Equip ; WildernessLogisics; Te-Wa ; Leigh-lo, it's almost an endless list.

Personally, I have a Hammock Gear Incubator, and getting ready to order a Burow.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I faced it as just another machine. At least it can't do the damage of say a chain saw, hand grinder, skill saw, etc.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    should I get the stuff and learn
    If you already have a sewing machine there, then learn how to sew. You will never regret it. AND you get to make your own gear, THE WAY YOU WANT IT!

Start by looking at the many videos posted here, and likely other places. The RamblinRev ones are a good place to start. Learning to sew is not difficult. Six months ago I sat down in front of a sewing machine for the first time. Now its old hat. Have made several projects, and more waiting the time. One of them was a major DIY Kit(OQ). I was kinda scared of the idea, but it worked out great. I made a few small mistakes, but the "learning curve" on this project alone was worth it.

I work at a remote Government antenna site and I can take my sewing projects with me. What a great "time-passer" it is. Makes those 12-hour shifts just fly!

(We need a sewing Smiley)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    First and foremost, quit calling it a sewing machine. It is a powered thread-injector. Gotta start with the right state of mind before you can move forward.

Seriously, learn how to use it. You don't have to be good, only functional. I've got some truly butt-ugly gear that I have made. But you know what? It works. The first topquilt I ever made could be used in one of the haunted houses out there right now, but it does keep me nice and toasty. I won't even discuss my first attempt at a tarp.

It isn't difficult and you'll be surprised how quickly your basic skills develop. I still don't sew straight lines, but I think it's more about the rebellious youth I haven't managed to shake completely, than about skills. Make a dozen stuff sacks, make a synthetic quilt, move to a tarp, then tackle a baffled quilt. I think that Thru-Hiker's kits are a great place to learn. You get everything you need in the kits and the projects can be very simple (stuff sacks) on up to clothing (not so simple). As an added benefit, the women in your family will be plain tickled with you. My grandma still asks how my sewing is doing when I talk to her. I think it took her about 5 minutes to catch her breath when I called her a few years ago and asked "How do I end a stitch?". I swear, it's the only time I've ever heard that very 'proper' lady snort while laughing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Love the story about your grandma. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    First and foremost, quit calling it a sewing machine. It is a powered thread-injector. Gotta start with the right state of mind before you can move forward.

Seriously, learn how to use it. You don't have to be good, only functional. I've got some truly butt-ugly gear that I have made. But you know what? It works. The first topquilt I ever made could be used in one of the haunted houses out there right now, but it does keep me nice and toasty. I won't even discuss my first attempt at a tarp.

It isn't difficult and you'll be surprised how quickly your basic skills develop. I still don't sew straight lines, but I think it's more about the rebellious youth I haven't managed to shake completely, than about skills. Make a dozen stuff sacks, make a synthetic quilt, move to a tarp, then tackle a baffled quilt. I think that Thru-Hiker's kits are a great place to learn. You get everything you need in the kits and the projects can be very simple (stuff sacks) on up to clothing (not so simple). As an added benefit, the women in your family will be plain tickled with you. My grandma still asks how my sewing is doing when I talk to her. I think it took her about 5 minutes to catch her breath when I called her a few years ago and asked "How do I end a stitch?". I swear, it's the only time I've ever heard that very 'proper' lady snort while laughing.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    If you've got the thread injector, why not learn to use it? Yes, there are some great suppliers and creators on this site and you wouldn't go wrong with any of their gear. But making your own gear is pretty neat. You'll be surprised at yourself and others will be surprised at your handiwork. last couple of trips out I've had people doing double takes on my pack and quilt. Jump in the DIY pool water is fine!

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I'm hoping to find a good sewing machine during my yard sale jaunts. I am getting the fever, but I was always such a tomboy I never learned to sew. Cannibal, my mother will do the same thing your grandmother did, when I tell her I have a sewing machine and have been sewing. The first thing she asked my husband was: how did you ever get her into a dress to get married?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i would chime in agreement with everybody else, if you have the machine it really doesn't take much to learn good enough to make your own gear, it might not look "factory" but who really cares, and the satisfaction you get from making your own stuff really does feel good, especailly when someone asks you about it and you can say

"no....i made it"

guess it boils down to what your time is worth to you, making quilts can take a bit of time with all the measuring, cutting, pining, sewing, stuffing etc.

but when i made my TQ & UQ (800fp) i was able to do it all for about $170, pretty cheap when you start to compare to purchasing

you'll pry want to start out a little less ambitious too with say, stuff sacks, snake skins maybe a tarp, so you will have made lots of good gear for yourself before you even take on the quilts

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Learn to sew! It's easy and quite fun and rewarding. Esp when you can make a hammock for $20 that would have cost $100 to buy.

Get "her" to show you. Remember the scene in Ghost when Swayze is "helping" Demi Moore with the potter's wheel? Reverse roles...

Oh yeah, and you don't need any special sewing equipment. If you have a working machine, that's pretty much all you need. (material and proper thread of course)

Apparently you're at least Sew Curious...
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 10-13-2011 at 10:07.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast