Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I like the idea!
    Last October when I "seriously" got into hammocks, I made two extra sets of hammocks and tarps for friends of mine. As I was thinking of how to explain what I learned or was learning it was a realization that all this info would be tricky to explain. So I made a 45 minute video and put it on DVD to send along. Since then my hammock knowledge has grown, mainly due to this site and by trial and error (ie: fun, fun, fun!). They both reported to me that the video really helped them make sense of this new way of approaching woods time.
    Visuals are a good thing
    Thats my stance.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    There are some things that MUST be done to a hammock system in order for it to provide safety and comfort. There are other things that can be done that will make the hammock experience more pleasant, easier, convenient, etc. I think it would be helpful to newcomers to be able to find an outline of the NECESSARY modifications/additions for each style/brand of hammock, along with a source and price for getting those items so they can make a more educated decision up front. A response by AngrySparrow yesterday to a newcomers question about replacing stretching nylon supports on an ENO was right on the mark. He told the guy exactly where to get what he needed, what to do, and how to do it. We need more of that.

I believe the best advice a newcomer can get is that which gets him in business at a safe and effective level and from which he can make trial and error improvements if he so chooses. The form of that advice could be a HF endorsed "system outline" for each brand of hammock. The endorsement would be provided by a panel of 3 or 4 experienced users of each brand. It really doesn't matter that the advice given by the forum is the absolute best, because there will never be a concensus of exactly what is best, but the advice should, at the very least, get a newcomer off the ground and far enough up on the learning curve that he doesn't hurt himself or get discouraged before he experiences the joys of hanging.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    Hennessey Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    BA Yampa, Exped 7s
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Being a noob myself, I think it would be beneficial to have a way to make an intial hammock choice based on some set of criteria. You plug in a set of desired features and then you're presented with a set of possible matches. Some criteria could be max weight, attached netting, weight, price, ect.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    exactly Lost.
    for one thing, i would like to learn more about using "keywords" or any other way that a person can better zero in on a particular subject more quickly.

also, maybe angrysparrow can make mention in the article he's working on about using "google" to better search for stuff here on HF.
    Since the site is running vBulletin you may want to have a look at installing the Zoints Tag plugin. It will give you a "Tag Cloud" box for quick navigation of popular items.

This thread discusses it in more detail than I can bring myself to care about...

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127244

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    great suggestions. and thanks sk8rs_dad for the link. i'll take a better look at it tomorrow & i hope some of the others who are more computer knowledgeable will look at things like that & add their thoughts.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I occ post on some handgun-self defense sites and they have a useful feature .. 'Stickies'.

At the top of each forum are a few permanent threads and posts (Stickies) which provided exceptionally cogent info on the forum topic .... just thinking.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I think Riverkeeper is on target with that suggestion. It would be easier to make stickies in each topic, specific to noobs and the topic, with links; then box them all up and put them in an easy to find place in the homepage as links. This way no matter if some one goes to the specific topic or just looks at the homepage they will get the same information. After all, the internet is supposed to make things easier right?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think you have to be pretty selective with stickies. Since they stay at the top of a forum, if there are to many it can push some of the more current threads to the second page where they may not be seen by those just browsing. There are some stickies here already, in the suspension forum, and the thread for ordering from the Cafe Press Store is stickied. When the newbie/intro thread is finished it will probably be stickied at the top of a couple of the forums and hopefully the home page, for maximum visibility.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Always using the titles helps searching

Nogods just started a thread for Best Practices that kind of relates to this thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4074

Using "Stickies" is a great idea. Always using the Titles helps - maybe make it required to post.

Having pre-programmed "Labeled" thread link searches on the Home Page that you could add your own keywords to if needed, and that compile the results in a prettier format would be nice. Conglomerate the results of your searches for easier review. How many threads start out "Best way to hang" or "Best Tarp", etc., etc..

Having pre-programmed weighted searches on the most popular thread topics that change order based on the number of similarily worded threads, keyword searches, etc. is just a good idea.

Make a seperate web page for non-authenticated users that forces them to use the pre-programmed searches before posting. Heck, it would be a great idea if EVERYONE had to do a topic search before posting to see if the topic was already covered (me included ,) which would greatly reduce the number of new threads on old topics. Or make the "New Post" button do a topic search before posting, and if anything is found, ask the user to review/verify the results, and that the thread should be added to the existing topic or that a new thread is wanted. My 2 cents.

What a lot of you are suggesting (me included) is that the Forum work less like a bulletin board, and more like a search engine with bulletin board capabilities. Who is the programming god that's going to do all this? I think we all need to donate to the cause!

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I think you have to be pretty selective with stickies. Since they stay at the top of a forum, if there are to many it can push some of the more current threads to the second page where they may not be seen by those just browsing. There are some stickies here already, in the suspension forum, and the thread for ordering from the Cafe Press Store is stickied. When the newbie/intro thread is finished it will probably be stickied at the top of a couple of the forums and hopefully the home page, for maximum visibility.
    I was thinking more of a 'topic' sticky for the noobies. Basically an article that encompasses what each topic is, how it relates and how we modify each one; just basic info. Then there would be postings by others relating to JUST that topic in the sticky; like links to vendors, tutorials and other pertinent information, all in one thread as a sticky.

I am a member on many forums and all use stickies in one from or another, they work great and this forum doesn't have enough postings per day (YET!) to push topics to the second page very fast anyway. HF is pretty fractured as it is (and personally I like it that way) and most of the topics have very few postings, the General Forum being the most active really.

I don't see the need for a gazzilion stickies, just one really, maybe two, but I have seen as many as 8-10, especially on some of the photography forums, and it is still easy enough to get around.

I still think this is the best option; with links on the homepage to the stickies for those that are just cruising. They can easily hit the homepage and just read the overall view of each topic, no custom code required!

If you require a search of the forums before each new thread HF will die, we tried that at the old Sticks and Stones forum and everyone hated it (or just ignored the search and posted anyway)!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast