Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    In cold water, an insulated kayak would be a wonderful thing, but you got me on the wet UQ.
    I was thinking the same thing - cold weather use insulated kayak!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Tinny has done it again... after telling us we don't need tree straps, he's now telling us how to use Insultex. Here is his video.

Tinny is a real innovator. I love my mini-Atomic alcohol stove. With hammocks suspensions and insulation, he seems to have lost his touch.

- MacEntyre
    I just watched the video and saw nothing wrong with it.
    What's wrong with someone experimenting and finding his own way. Isn't that half the fun of this hobby.

IMO, Laying on 8 layers of IX is no dumber than trying to punch holes in IX to try and make it breathable. If we don't experiment we don't learn.

Shame on you Mac.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Like Mac mentioned, it wasn't the video, or the experiment that started this thread. It was the use of the words "hammock dogma". If I had dedicated the time and energy into establishing insultex as a usable light weight insulation for hammocks, that Mac has, I may feel slightly insulted.

I'm sure Tinny would feel the same if a hammock guy did the same with stoves. Either way, who cares? If it works for tinny, that's awesome.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Shame on you Mac.
    Yeah, I should be ashamed because we're all "just doing the llemming thing" we're "not creative at all."

It's no misinterpretation... Tinny is doing all this on purpose.

"All of them weigh over a pound."

Tinny suddenly starts being disrespectful to his customers by insulting them, calling them names, and criticizing their use of gear totally unrelated to what he makes and sells... you should be saying "shame on Tinny."
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    This is being done for sole purpose of generating controversy and thus driving traffic and increasing sales. He has said this in the past. The only lemmings I have seen are some of his followers.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Tinny says hammockers use gear "because he said to"... just a bunch of followers.

Have you seen the title of his web site?

What stark irony...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    MacEntyre - the problem may or may not be Tinny, but rather the forum format and accessibility.

People who have been on the forums a long time and read the threads regularly, know what information is available. A new person is at a large disadvantage at that. Precisely what information is available can be very hard to come by. The organization of the forums does not make gathering such information easy or convenient. Organizing into broad categories makes finding one topic extremely difficult or you have to very lucky to stumble across it or lucky in that someone activates an old thread or one of the old timers answers a related question and links the thread or......

But finding that thread can be time consuming.

Heck even when I know the information is available and even know who started the thread and who contributed, it can be frustrating to find the thread that I KNOW exists. Especially when the thread has not been active for a long time or was started a long time back. The search function leaves a lot to be desired.

What format would be better?? I have no idea and probably no one else has either right now or maybe it would be used.
    +1 on the search function. Sometimes I see folks telling newbies to "just search the threads"....Trouble is it doesn't work Luckily most of the old timers here know this and someone usually steps up to help!
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    I was reading the thread on abandon your straps. One of the last to comment was one of tinnys close friends (I can't remember his name). In short he explained that tinny is one of those people that will look at what others have done and then go back to square one. I think he needs to prove it him self more then anything else. So when I see some thing from him regarding hammocks it will be with a grain of salt. I don't think he is doing it to snub his nose at what has already been done here but its just the type of personality he has. He needs to see and do it.

With that said I don't think pointing out what he has done wrong to him will do much (both on youtube or here). Maybe a genital nudge in a different direction is what would be better when we think he has lost it.

Getting off soap box.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Genital nudge? Is that like, a kick?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I love you Macantyre, haha.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast