Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Has Tinny lost his touch?

Tinny has done it again... after telling us we don't need tree straps, he's now telling us how to use Insultex. Here is his video.

Tinny found that 8 layers of Insultex did the trick for him... using it as a pad inside the hammock. That indicates that he does not do much research on the work that others already have done (what he calls "dogma"). Here on HF, there are many threads discussing how to make the most of Insultex with hammocks, based on years of experience and dozens of prototypes.

One thing that we found is that Insultex does not perform well when compressed, which is what happens when we lay directly on it. What Tinny has discovered is that it takes 8 layers to overcome the ill effects of compression.

Tinny was trying to feel the warmth with ambient conditions about 55*F, and found that it takes 8 layers of IX. Thing1 and I regularly use a Baby Orca with three layers of IX down to freezing. His 10 oz pad is much smaller than a Baby Orca 3/4 UQ, which weighs about half that, including the suspension.

I suppose his next video will be to announce his ground breaking discovery: suspend the Insultex underneath the hammock for better results!

Tinny is a real innovator. I love my mini-Atomic alcohol stove. With hammocks suspensions and insulation, he seems to have lost his touch.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i think, if you stack 43 layers and use a paddle, one could cross the Atlantic?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I kind of thought it was a waste to use 8 layers instead of just going the UQ route with it
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah, watching that video forced me into making my first youtube comment letting him know he needs to hang it like a uq. His reply was his "research" says otherwise. To each his own but he lost a lot of credibility with that one. Awesome builder of stoves, hammocks...well...someone needs to join hammock forums!
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I stopped watching Tinny a year ago...

it seems like there are videos where he is off his meds or something i dunno
    But your right Mac he never does his homework on anything ... there are a few
    videos that just make me go WOW
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Guys, this thread seems to be about a person rather than gear. Let's keep things focused please.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I think hes a good guy. I was just commenting on the insultex part. like in my opinion its a waste of 8 layers which could have been an uq or 2 or a isulated sock which is the way I would have gone.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

who cares...much ado about nothing..do your own thang
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I apologize, Sam. If I have expressed myself inappropriately, feel free to delete this thread or move it to Donating Members, as you see fit.

It's just disappointing to me that all of the research that we offer to the general public through HF, for anyone to use for personal or commercial purposes, would be ignored out of hand (Insultex) or dismissed as dogma (tree huggers and load calcs) by anyone with a reputation for credibility and innovation.

There are hundreds of threads and thousands of posts about hammock suspensions on HF.

Everything about the design of MMG Insultex UQs has been discussed in detail on HF, whether it deals with compression, darts, loft, InsulTubes, fit, fiddle-factor or suspension. There is even a thread about cloning them, with an atta-boy from me!

It's not about Tinny personally (he's a cute old guy, and I love his derby). It's about his affront to Hammock Forums by dismissing what has gone before.

/rant off/

/sincere apology still on/

/Ewker ignore still on/

- MacEntyre

P.S. I love Shug's comment from the Abandon Treestraps thread - "It is just video fodder for sure. Tinny likes to be a strong brew I reckon."
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 10-13-2011 at 12:23.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I
    /Ewker ignore still on/

- MacEntyre

I'm hurt
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast