Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images

Question double hammock botched

So I decided to make myself a new hammock. Mid project I thought I'd make it a double layer, but I didn't have quite enough material to do two full lengths of material for the double layer. I had an extra 6' section though. So I figured that would be good enough. I sewed that along the long edges on the bottom of my hammock - leaving the head and foot end open. My thought was I'd be able to slip the pad in and hang on it and the pad would be sandwiched between the layers...

So, I'm sure most of you more experienced people are shaking their heads by now. The material is extremely floppy at both ends and is essentially useless since it doesn't get pulled into the hammock without the ends being whipped together.

So, realizing my folly a little late, I had the idea of just cutting out a 1-2ft strip down the middle (lengthwise) of the 'pocket' and then lacing some shock cord to take up the slack and help hold it in. It would be laced up kinda like you would a shoe where the tongue would be the pad. But I'm not sure that will work either since the pad could be susceptible to buckling - maybe?

I'm looking for ideas of salvaging this. Darts of sorts? If so, how do I measure such that it wont create pressure points on the bottom of the hammock? Will my shock cord lacing idea work? Or do I need to just pull off the pocket and chock it up to lesson learned...?

As a side note, it was the most comfortable hammock I've slept in yet. Very happy with it. I was also extremely warm since I had the pad and my underquilt (I just flipped the hammock over and the floppy pocket was just a pad cover at that point). I did have plenty of condensation for the 1st time however, even though there was fabric between me and the pad...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Instead of cutting then having to roll hem or grosgrain that edge why not a dart. Hang the hammock and throw stuff in to add some weight to it. Pinch the sleeve at both ends to stop the flop and pin. Flip the hammock inside out so the part of the sleeve that touches the hammock is facing out. sew your dart. Flip again and your darts are in between the hammock and the sleeve and barley noticeable.

Another option is a strip of elastic to bunch the material, or even shock cord run through the hem of the sleeve at both ends. That way when the hammock stretches over time the sleeve will stretch with it.

I hope this helps even if it just gives you an idea you didn't know you had in you. Good luck.

On a side note I had the same problem with a hammock I made. I ended up sewing a flat felled seam and more material (different material all together) to get to the end of the gather. hammock works great even though its grey with a strip of digital camo about 48'' on the inside.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Another option is a strip of elastic to bunch the material, or even shock cord run through the hem of the sleeve at both ends. That way when the hammock stretches over time the sleeve will stretch with it.
    That's what I was thinking. Making it like the ends on some UQ's that allow one to cinch them up for a good seal.
    If the hem isn't big enough for shock cord some wide grossgrain will do the trick. I prefer to have the cord tacked down on the ends and a single cordlock & bead in the middle (bead on top of the cordlock so it can't fall off) instead of cordlocks on each end of the channel. That's just my preference though.

Good Luck, I'm sure you will find a way to make it work.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    When I did my pad pocket / 2nd layer, I used my ENO Double Nest.
    I took out the suspension and laid it out on the floor to measure the width for what the larger center portion is to the smaller side panels.
    Cut the material a little larger to allow for both rolling the edges and a thicker pad if needed (Like the Exped downmat if needed) and sewed it along the existing seams on the side.
    In testing it, this set-up worked well with a thin foam pad, the military issue isopor mat and the partially inflated Exped 9XL downmat.
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    With shock cord method you could fill it with stuff for added insulation ala clark hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I prefer to have the cord tacked down on the ends and a single cordlock & bead in the middle (bead on top of the cordlock so it can't fall off) instead of cordlocks on each end of the channel. That's just my preference though.

Good Luck, I'm sure you will find a way to make it work.
    I like this idea. Two cord locks instead of four. I would nix the bead and make the shock cord continuous from end to end.

Also, I was just thinking. As this is a new hammock, the nylon probably hasn't stretched all its going to yet. You may find that the problem fixes itself in the end.

You could always just add material to one side and leave the other side open for pad insertion.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks guys! I like thinking about this like an UQ. I think I'm going to throw some darts at the open ends and then use shock cord to close them up. Which is exactly how I made my current UQ and it fits like a glove. In fact, I could probably just use my UQ as a template. I'll post back with results once I get my shipment of cord locks and shock cord in.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sounds like a solid plan. Had you sewn it across the width of the hammock, you probably wouldn't have had that problem... but then you'd probably end up on the ground as the stitching could create a postage-stamp effect...

I like the zigzag shock cord idea, but it might pull the hammock around the pad, and not the pad to the hammock.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I like the zigzag shock cord idea, but it might pull the hammock around the pad, and not the pad to the hammock.
    Precisely my concern. It may be ok though once my weight is on it and the tension of the cords is dialed in. Or it may promote buckling in the space between the cords. I think after I try the darts, if it doesn't work I can still try this. If that doesn't work, I just pull it off and still have a very comfy single layer hammock.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A sound plan. Pics when you're done.. it might be a winner!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast