I finished my UQ this week - wohoo!
Thanks go out to everyone who shares information on these forums, which without, I never could have imagined taking on such a project. This is my 1st DIY ever and I have no prior experience behind a thread injector. It took me a long time to wrap my head around some of the concepts involved, but well worth the effort. Special thanks go out to my wife who put up with me taking over the dining room table and kitchen floor for a week during construction!
Number of baffles: 7.00
Baffle height: 2.50 inches
Underquilt width: 42.00 inches
Underquilt length: 52.00 inches
Seam allowance on long sides: 1.00 inches
Seam allowance on short sides: 1.00 inches
Width inner fabric (toward hammock): 42.00 inches plus seam allowance = 44.00 inches
Length inner fabric (toward hammock): 52.00 inches plus seam allowance = 54.00 inches
Width outer fabric (away from hammock): 54.00 inches plus seam allowance = 56.00 inches
Length outer fabric (away from hammock): 57.00 inches plus seam allowance = 59.00 inches
Baffle spacing for inner fabric: 6.00 inches
Baffle spacing for outer fabric: 7.00 inches
Outside chamber width inner fabric: 6.00 inches
Outside chamber width outer fabric: 9.50 inches (7" +2.5" loft)
Darts on the inner: 1 inch (total 7 inches)
Darts on the outer: 2 inch (total 14 inches)
For the head end I made these 10 inches long, and 15 inches at the foot end.
Down Fill Calculations
Volume based on trapezoidal pyramid shape of radial baffles calculated above
Down fill power: 800.00 inches³/ounce
Percent overfill: 0.20
Volume per baffle: 844.83 inches³
Total volume: 5913.79 inches³
Down per chamber: 1.27 ounces
Total down: 8.87 ounces
The above calcs started out using Meteors UQ Calcs:
And were then modified slightly (using 160 degrees instead of 170) to simplify dimensions for easier construction. (Thanks Meteor and Mad777!)
Ripstop and Noseeum purchased from: http://www.diygearsupply.com/
Down harvested from a Bloomingdales My Luxe pillow.
On to the pics!
Laid out and marked
Baffles and darts sewn to outer
Baffles sewn to foot and head end, also showing corner detail
Shell completed, baffles sewn to inner and outer shell, 3 sides hemmed
Shell filled with 800 FP down, Grosgrain channels added
And finally, suspension added and attached to hammock!
I hope in the future someone will find a small nugget of info somewhere that helps them as much as it helped me looking through other projects!