Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hennessy?

Which Hennessy?

Hi, I have bursitis in both shoulders, and I'm finding it increasingly hard to get a good night's sleep at home, not to mention the trail. I've finally decided to try a hammock. I'm 6'3 and tip the scales at around 295 fully clothed minus shoes. I really like what I've seen about the Hennessy.
    Will an EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM work ok or should I buy the SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX? I'd really like to save a pound if I could, but I don't want to end up bursting a seam and ending up on the ground 7 days into a 2 week hike. Any other suggestions for a hammock for a big guy are welcome!

Thanks.

The EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM should work for your size. The difference is the cord used to hang it more than other materials.
    ...ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein... (Jeremiah)

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    You won't bust a seam in the Explorer Deluxe. Tough as nails. The Safari is a foot longer, so it might be more comfortable, but probably not a pound more comfortable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Ditto. I'm 6'2 & 240 lb and have had nary a creak or moan from my Explorer Deluxe. Another fellow I camp with is shorter but heavier and he's fine too.

I am 6'1 weigh 210lbs with broad shoulders.
    I found that my Safari is more comfortable than the Explorer Deluxe I had at first.
    I sometimes found that my right shoulder was uncomfortable and just couldn't sleep so well.
    The Safari hangs with more sag than the ED and I certainly sleep better in it.
    Yes it is heavier but not that bad. I use a kayak so it's not a problem.
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 6'6 and when I bought my Explorer Deluxe I weighed in at 298 pounds.... It held up just fine.

Randy
    '

Since you're pretty close to the weight limit I'd look at the Safari Deluxe or Survivor since they both have 350lbs limits. Sometimes Hennessy does custom hammock so they may throw some heavier ropes on an Explorer Deluxe for you. This way you get the hammock you want but could up the weight limit to 350lbs or something like that.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    Hi, I have bursitis in both shoulders, and I'm finding it increasingly hard to get a good night's sleep at home, not to mention the trail. I've finally decided to try a hammock. I'm 6'3 and tip the scales at around 295 fully clothed minus shoes. I really like what I've seen about the Hennessy.
    Will an EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM work ok or should I buy the SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX? I'd really like to save a pound if I could, but I don't want to end up bursting a seam and ending up on the ground 7 days into a 2 week hike. Any other suggestions for a hammock for a big guy are welcome!

Thanks.
    Another option for some added versatility can be found here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3600

The removable bugnet mod may make the smaller size hammock, while technically weight rated ok for you, feel a bit larger.

Thanks for the help.

I've decided to eat the extra pound and get the safari. I may indeed try that zipper mod, but I'd like to try ot as is before I go messing with it.

Thanks all!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have the safari deluxe and I must confess it is roomy as all get out. I am still behind the learning curve of hanging the thing. I like it alot and have really slept well. I am a roller and trhasher and when the hammock is fully set I do not feel like I am bouncing or swaying. The only problem I am having atm is my pad slips around but I am working on solutions to fix that.

I would like to try a top loader at some point but I have some mobility issues which can make standing up difficult. I can just grab the hammock and pull. I like this beast. I would endorse it for us large guys.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast