Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.

tinny's comments on insultex

tinny, who seems to have a great deal of time on his hands, is ever the tinkererrerrer.

as such, his latest video regarding insultex is interesting. he presents some good arguments regarding a re-think for bottom insulation. in sum, uq's is the wrong direction. the link below is the first video. the one that follows is to the point.

btw tinny, your explorations and ocd nature is a benefit to us all. much thanks and keep the vids coming.

sv-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=g_cHesOS05w

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    I guess they don`t sell Big Agnes sleeping bags in his neck of the woods . Interesting how he responded to most of the posts except for references on this . You hammockers seem to have him riled up a little bit

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    There's a whole 'nother big thread on this very topic if you have some free time for reading! Check out the one on tree straps & Tinny too....

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Angry

Wow. First Tinny tells the YouTube world that tree huggers are unneeded. Now he says that hammock campers blindly follow what a few say to do?

Give me a break.

This is a forum of innovators. People always pushing the envelope and never settling for the status quo. Yes, there are some lessons that have been learned that have helped us establish some practices and procedures but then we build on that.

Go back to stoves good sir.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    tinny, who seems to have a great deal of time on his hands, is ever the tinkererrerrer.

as such, his latest video regarding insultex is interesting. he presents some good arguments regarding a re-think for bottom insulation. in sum, uq's is the wrong direction. the link below is the first video. the one that follows is to the point.

btw tinny, your explorations and ocd nature is a benefit to us all. much thanks and keep the vids coming.

sv-

Tinny might know stoves but he doesn't know IX
    think about this...he is using 8 layers just to stay warm at 55F at 8oz... not when he makes it dlb the size to fit him your looking at a 16oz pad made out of IX that will be good to 50F if lucky and bulky
    when 2-3 layers made into an UQ can keep a user warm down to 32F and weight 6-8oz and pack down 1/3 the size of his "Pad"
    think about it.......
    everything he is doing has been done years ago by many members there is a reason why it's not used like this
    what would you rather carry?
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    has it been done for years with insultex?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    has it been done for years with insultex?
    IX is insultex do a search on the forums here you will find lots of Good
    information on the subject ...
    lots of test have been done with IX buy many members over the last 2 years or so since it's been around

IX works best by trapping hot air in between layers ... layers that have air gaps in between.... if your laying right on the IX you are crushing it..like all synth and down insulation it's rating drops hence it does not insulate to it's full capacity this is why it's taking him 8 layers to keep warm at 55F
    where a UQ (Underquilt) hung under the hammock made out of IX(Insultex) only requires 2-3 layers for most users to stay warm at 32F
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    Being new to the hammock world and hammock camping
    I can say I am glad I found this Fourm
    There is a lot here if one is willing to look and read
    You start with a base line and build from there
    That is what I have gotten out of this forum in the short
    Time I've been here
    I don't think there is some much a right way or a wrong way
    To do things as much as you find what works for YOU
    Cause what works for or the other guy may not be right for you
    Thus I say to each his own live and let live
    Let em hang or fall as they may
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

While I am not a fan of the phraseology of T's rhetoric much of the time, I give the guy some credit. I don't know if he's looked at what others have done with IX or not. What some see as him trying to reinvent the wheel, he sees as thinking outside the box. He is right in that innovation requires you to try things that have not been tried before or sometimes try things that have been abandoned and put a new spin on it.

Either way, he's hiking his own hike and hanging his own hammock. If people want to follow his videos and blindly believe that his way is the only right way, thats fine. HF is wide open to them if they decide to look at alternatives. I don't have to carry his pack or sleep in his hammock, so why should I care?

It's unfortunate that his particular way of expressing himself is to criticize or name call those who do it differently. The great thing about HF (most of the time) is that we can share techniques without saying "you are right" or "you are wrong", and let the end user decide for themselves the merit of the idea or technique.
    Last edited by BER; 10-15-2011 at 09:36. Reason: Grammar

Images

sv-

I think Tinny's selection and idea of using multi layers of IX for a pad is brilliant.
    What are the biggest complains we pad users have?
    CCF pads(WW Blue, Insolite, etc) are stiff, slide around in the hammock, bulky and don't pack well.

IX is very flexible, molding to your body more when you lay on it. This would keep it from moving around so much.
    IX's flexibility allows it to be folded and packed smaller.

I for one, look forward to Tinny's video on his final design of the IX multi layer hammock pad.

O&B

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast