Multiple hammock setup with multiple spreader bars

So I just was looking at the Dutch whoopie hooks and spreader bars to have the wife or 1 kid sleep close to you. Then i was thinking. I have a wife and 2( Soon to be 3) kids. What is the limit of side by side hammocks using this method? Could you put 3 side by side with the head ends separated by spreader bars? 4? 5? Sure, you'd lose the 1 tarp covering most likely, but we tend to camp in non rainy weather anyway.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon .9 Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I haven't tried it, but from the pictures, it looks like the spreader bar tip would fill the hole in the double whoopie hook, you then wouldn't be able to add another bar on the other side.

EDIT: you might be able to do this in a "head - foot" configuration

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    And finding trees all lined up side by side by side just right would be tough to achieve consistently.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    O---and I don't know about you but my Family all snore....kids too. I put them close enough that they can get me in the night if they need me but no right next to my head where they will keep me up all night.
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE and Costco
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Yeah, the hole would fill up so Zigzagging head and foot would be the only way to do it. That said, I would assume the more you add (the further from the center you get) the more tension you would put on that hammocks suspension. Since you are using it mostly for your kids it probably wouldn't be an option but for grown adults I would expect you could only get 2, maybe 3 before there is just too much tension on the spreader bars and it would no longer be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    And finding trees all lined up side by side by side just right would be tough to achieve consistently.
    You hang from the same tree with this setup, hence the spreader bar, right? At least that's what Dutchs video shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt.Donut View Post
    Yeah, the hole would fill up so Zigzagging head and foot would be the only way to do it. That said, I would assume the more you add (the further from the center you get) the more tension you would put on that hammocks suspension. Since you are using it mostly for your kids it probably wouldn't be an option but for grown adults I would expect you could only get 2, maybe 3 before there is just too much tension on the spreader bars and it would no longer be comfortable.
    Dutch's video show each hammock with their own suspension. The benefit is sharing a tree. If this would work for multiple, the whoopie hooks could have yet another hole. Hammock A and B use top holes. Hammock B and C use bottom holes, and then back to top holes.

This is all just a though and at some point you'd get a large fan if all the bars were at the head end. Would be neat to see Dutch try since he has a large stock of the stuff on hand

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    You hang from the same tree with this setup, hence the spreader bar, right? At least that's what Dutchs video shows.
    Except your not going to get 3-4-5- suspensions around 1 tree....you would have to space them out more than that with multiples.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Images
    One downside of the spreader bar is the movement. If the person next to you is moving around you definetly feel it. Now times that by 2 or 3....It would probably feel like a roller coaster.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    HG/pad and bag
    Suspension
    Straps

Multiple hammock setup with multiple spreader bars

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    O---and I don't know about you but my Family all snore....kids too. I put them close enough that they can get me in the night if they need me but no right next to my head where they will keep me up all night.
    Whole family including you? For some reason I myself have started snoring in the last 6-8 months. The wife sleeps with earplugs now. I am hoping that losing some weight will cure it. It really sucks. If not some wild animal is going to strangle me right in the hammock in the middle of the night. lol.

--- Sorry OP, unrelated.
    Last edited by cmseeley; 05-25-2016 at 22:52.
    Chris (Chipper)

It seems like a good time to get lost in the woods for a few days! --www.chipperoutdoors.com-- or ---facebook---

Quote Originally Posted by cmseeley View Post
    Whole family including you? For some reason I myself have started snoring in the last 6-8 months. The wife sleeps with earplugs now. I am hoping that losing some weight will cure it. It really sucks. If not some wild animal is going to strangle me right in the hammock in the middle of the night. lol.

--- Sorry OP, unrelated.
    Ha No worries. This is a very hypothetical thread. I too sleep with ear plugs both at home because of the wife and while camping because of one of my buddies.

• + New Posts