Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    billybob, it does looks like from the pic on their site that the 10' side is straight sides and the 11' side has the catcuts.

i am wondering about the sil-cordura as well. specifically the wt. per/yd2. regular sil is usually 1.3-1.5 oz/yd what makes sil-cordura different? heavier/lighter??

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I had to do a little research on the Cordura fabic. Basically from what I have read on the website, Cordura is a brand name of fabric made by Du-pont. It's is made from nylon and it does come impregnated with silicone, and since it's impregnated and not coated on the fabric, it is in fact a type of sil-nylon.

Here's some info from the website:
    Q. What is CORDURA®?

A. CORDURA® is a certified fabric from INVISTA. It is used in a wide range of products from luggage and backpacks to boots, to military wear and performance apparel. CORDURA® is resistant to abrasions, tears and scuffs.

Q. How durable is CORDURA®?

A. Ounce for ounce, CORDURA® is more durable than other fabrics.

CORDURA® is :

+ 10x more durable than cotton duck
    + 3X more durable than standard polyester
    + 2x more durable than standard nylon

It's resistant to abrasions, tears, and scuffs--all the qualities you expect from a high performance fabric. So regardless of your activities, you'll benefit from the toughness of CORDURA®.

Q. Is CORDURA® a fiber?

A. No. CORDURA® is a certified fabric from INVISTA.

Q. How do I care for products/garments made with CORDURA®?

A. Products made with CORDURA® are made to last, and are generally easy to care for. First, always look for and follow the garment care label instructions.
    General care instructions are as follows:

* Apparel: Wash on low temperature setting using mild detergent. Either air dry or dry on low setting. Do not bleach.
    * Upholstery/Backpacks/Luggage: Soil may be removed with spray cleaner or detergent and water. Do not bleach.
    * Oil or grease should first be treated with a dry cleaning solvent followed by a spray cleaner or detergent and water.

Q. Can a fabric that is used in luggage and backpacks be comfortable in a garment?

A. CORDURA comes in a variety of different weight/types, each appropriate for different end uses. Whereas luggage is typically made from heavier/thicker CORDURA fabrics, garments are now available in lighterweight CORDURA fabrics. Although lightweight, the garment remains extremely strong, durable, yet comfortable for any activity.

Q. Are CORDURA® fabrics tested?

A. All fabrics branded as CORDURA® have been certified to ensure they meet the durability and quality standards of CORDURA®.

Q. Where can I purchase products/garments with CORDURA®?

A. You'll find CORDURA® available in today's top brands. Be sure to look for the CORDURA® hangtag or label for your assurance of stylish, durable quality.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 04-25-2008 at 19:42.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Thanks WB and HC4U. I have also run into this "cordura" sil-nylon on some Sea to Summit dry sacks that I think was supposedly an upgrade from their earlier non-Cordura sil-nyl dry sacks. So the Speer, Mac Cat and HH tarps, are they all also this "Cordura" sil-nyl or some other non-Cordura sil-nylon? I think it's likely no one knows at the moment. I was just trying to figure out if this was supposed to be an advantage over earlier generations of sil-nylon. The weight seems to be about the same. But if it is an advantage- or even a difference- the Jacks have not mentioned it. The weight is claimed to be 1.1 oz/y2.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-25-2008 at 21:40.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    billybob, it does looks like from the pic on their site that the 10' side is straight sides and the 11' side has the catcuts.
    Yeah. The 10' edge is straight. Mine pulled taught on the 10' ridge no problem but the bottom edge will be straight.

Mine packs into the supplied stuff sack just fine. It's a tight fit, but I didn't find it that tough to get it in there. If it were an inch taller it would be easier to stuff though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Yeah. The 10' edge is straight. Mine pulled taught on the 10' ridge no problem but the bottom edge will be straight.

Mine packs into the supplied stuff sack just fine. It's a tight fit, but I didn't find it that tough to get it in there. If it were an inch taller it would be easier to stuff though.
    I never use stuff sacks anyway, just the snake skins.

Images
    sounds like cordura is just a name brand like spectra rather than dyneema or dacron rather than polyester and not really any different physically.

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    reasons i dont like the tarp
    2.not really silnylon
    4.the stuff sack sucks,the tarp never packs down small enough
    to fit in it again. neo
    Interesting, Neo. Without anything else attached I can pack mine back into its stuff sack. Also, IIRC, on the card that comes with the tarp is does say silicon-impregnated nylon.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    sounds like cordura is just a name brand like spectra rather than dyneema or dacron rather than polyester and not really any different physically.
    Exactly. I think there was just a little bit of confusion between a brand name of a product and the type of fabric that we are dealing with.

The JRB stuff sacks I own have a Cordura label sewn in as well as a JRB brand name label. I don't know if the JRB tarps have this Cordura label or not.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Mine doesn't.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12