Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images

This worked for me!

I'm relatively new to the hammock hanging concept. I've been experimenting with a variety of configurations for warmth. I was very pleased with what I came up with this weekend. The temps got down into the mid to lower 30's it was also very windy. I used (2) 3/4 lenght Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest pads and a synmat 9 DLX air matress. The pads are 48" long; one pad went down at the bottom on top of the air matress, it came up to slighty above my waist, the second pad was wrapped under the air mattress; this prevented movement (make sure there is some overlap with the two pads, or you will know it). The second pad is laid purpendicular to the first pad, it will come out on both sides of the top of the mattress allowing at least 12" exposure on both sides giving you plenty of padding to keep your shoulders really warm. I did have to tie the pads to the bottom of my backpack because they take up a lot of room inside the backpack, but I felt that was a small price to pay. The two pads together weighed a little less than 1 lb. Oh BTW the two pads when rolled up together, will make an excellent seating pad!
    My air mattress is a bit on the heavy side (but it's all I have right now), it comes in at 2.5 lbs make sure that you don't over-inflate it, it needs to be on the limp side. I never slept so well in such temperatures. I was actually very warm, I believe it could have been even colder and it would have still been very effective. I had tried using each of these items separately, but the pads by themselves were ok, they would shift constantly, the air mattress by itself was still cold on the bottom and my shoulders were very cold. The two together were a dream come true.
    Hopefully someone else will give this a try and we can continue to work on it, this is a great start. I am considering a space blanket on the very bottom my next time out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 10-15-2011 at 22:16.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Nicely explained, and a great picture.

If you sew, check the archives for the SPE (segmented pad extender), which might allow you to carry less bulk. I've taken just my thermarest inflatable down to upper 20's, surprised to hear your Expired was not able to go that low- but I'm glad you kept trying to find something that worked for you!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes! to a nice diagram! glad it works for you

A Plus of the Pic for us visual learners!

SMSP

Images
    Good deal, that will work! I notice you have a WB double layer. Have you tried outting any of these pads inside the WB dbl layer pad pocket, which should keep them in place?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I think a pad slipped inside the pad pocket (if you have the double layer) of your hammock and a full length UQ should keep you warm and toasty.

This will also minimize how many pads you carry and your hammock might be more comfy in the end.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Good deal, that will work! I notice you have a WB double layer. Have you tried outting any of these pads inside the WB dbl layer pad pocket, which should keep them in place?
    There is one additional piece I need to mention here. With the recent purchase of my WBBB hammock, i was no longer able to place the shoulder pad under the air matteress because the WB has a double layer; so I had to place it on the top layer directly under my sleeping bag. I just got back from a hang today on the AT in MD. The temp dropped down to 24* last night and it worked very well for me. I dressed in a few light layers, and actually had to take the top layer off because i could feel myself beginning to get too warm inside the sleeping bag.
    One 3/4 pad went inside the double for feet and waist, it sat on top of my air mattress, so there was no slipping at all. The second pad had to sit on the top layer, it overlapped the bottom pad a bit not to allow any cold entry and I was able to adjust it at will with no problem.
    Just trying to figure out a way now to decrease the weight. The air pad at R value 6.0 I think was actually what made it all happen but it does weigh around 2.5 lbs. All suggestions are welcomed.
    Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 11-05-2011 at 19:49. Reason: correction

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I want to try this out. I used reflectix on top of a pad last night down to 46 degrees. I think that's as low as my gear will let me.
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I'll have to give this a try when I get a chance to hang again. I haven't had a chance to put together my hammock stand yet, but I will definitely be playing with this concept when I do. It seems like a good affordable alternative for those on a budget.

Sunny

• + New Posts