GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    How does the comfort compare to the chrysalis(if you can remember that is)? Also is there any reason you didn't go with a deeper side cut? Thanks for posting it looks great!
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Previously posted a thread on DIY #2, The Cloud. Grizz had commented on the fact that the aluminum spreader bars accounted for nearly half the total weight of the hammock.

Back to the design shop. New project, code name:

Cirrus

I ordered carbon fiber tubes from http://www.rockwestcomposites.com/, cut them to size and fitted them with standard tent pole ends from Quest. The tubes came as 72" with an internal diameter of 0.5" and outside diameter of 0.56". They are very stiff and difficult to flex. A 72" tube weighed 3.30z. Since I was lightening up, I also switched to a dynalide suspension, and switched from 1.6 oz/sqyd polyester to 1.1 oz/sqyd ripstop nylon. Tweeked the dimension a bit as well (6" longer and a couple inches wider at the head). The total weight of the Cloud was 25.6 oz. I am happy to report that the total weight of the Cirrus is 18.0 oz.

Dimensions:

Length: 86"
    Width at head: 48"
    Head spreader: 42"
    Head suspension triangle: 40"
    Arc depth: 6"
    Width at foot: 40'
    Foot spreader: 30"
    Foot suspension triangle: 30"

Weights:

~5' long 1" tree huggers with Elephant Trunks: 5.0 oz
    Hammock with dynaglide suspension: 9.0 oz
    Spreader bars with end tips: 4.0 oz
    Total weight: 18.0 oz. (For comparison sake, one might note a 1.1 DL WB traveller base weight is listed at 19.5oz)

Pics:
    End tips. 0.433" aluminum end tips from Quest sized up with electrical tape to fit snugly inside 0.5" internal diameter CF tube.

Cirrus from the foot end with Exped DAM9 in pocket.

CF spreader installed on hammock. These CF tubes held me well with little or no flex (my current weight is ~190#). My only complaint is that the end tips are not sized appropriately for the tube diameter. Under load, the end tip does get pushed slightly into the tube, though this is limited because of the dynaglide. One problem I see with this current setup is the potential for wear on the dynaglide as it rubs on the edge of the CF tube. I will continue to monitor this to see if it becomes a problem.

TTTG 12x10 tarp over the Cirrus. Both hammock and tarp are attached to the elephant trunk. Because the tarp was tightly tensioned initially, I saw no sag in the tarp when I occupied the hammock.

The Cirrus under my OES 12x10 Cat tarp. Low and wide setup with end flaps anchored to ground for additional weather protection. Unloaded the head spreader is only 1-2" from the tarp, but loaded there is more clearance.

The Cirrus under OES in open porch mode.

Thoughts after completion:
    1) I am getting faster at completing these projects. Still having some issues with the thread injector, but it's definitely getting better.
    2) Like the additional length (86") vs that of the Cloud (80")
    3) Like the wider head end. More shoulder room.
    4) The combo of materials for the Cirrus definitely feel more stretchy/bouncy than those for the Cloud. But once in and settled, not a big issue. I wish dynaglide came in a more muted color.
    5) CF Spreader bars...Love the weight. Not completely satisfied with the end tip solution I used. Might consider some of the other sizes of tubing that RockWest has available. These bars hold ME. I do not endorse them for others. YMMV. Choose the right materials based on your own size/needs.
    FWIW, I did wear a heavy coat, hat and safety glasses when I sat in the hammock the first time...just in case.

Thanks to Grizz for his tutorials and suggestions!
    Does anyone know what happened to the pics associated with this project?

Anybody know where the pictures are for this. Wanna see how it turned out. I wanna make my bridge thw same size but hikingdad bridge.

Hammock
    DIY 10x5 w/srl
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' cat pu
    Insulation
    DIY A90 Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sdb318 View Post
    Anybody know where the pictures are for this. Wanna see how it turned out. I wanna make my bridge thw same size but hikingdad bridge.

Me too! LOL

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Pics or it never happened. We need proof!!!
    Ok, we believe you but still....You tease us with this great project and no wonderful pictures.

Great job btw...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345