Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Offset a double layer??? Question from a Noob

I've been lurking in this forum for about a month now and have seen tons of ideas and projects that have been very helpful. This resource has been fantastic to say the least. In my searching through the forum on different DIY hammocks I have yet to see what I am about to present. I'm sure its there and I just overlooked it but I'll ask anyway.

I am a big boy (6', 265lb) and want to make my own hammock. I recently bought an Eno Doublenest when REI had them on sale a few weeks back but I want to try my hand at my own. Because of my size I feel pretty sure that I need to go with a double layer but also want something a little wider than the 60" width that many of the materials come in. So my thought is to take two layers and instead of matching them up to be 60" wide, offset it to where there is a 12" single layer on each side. That would give me a total width of 72" (minus seams) and leave the main body of the hammock at @48" double layered. Any thoughts on how much, if any, this would impact the weight capacity of the hammock? I'm considering the 1.6 HyperD if that factors into the equation any.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    The only issue I'd worried about Is your head and feet would be resting and seams which could be uncomfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Why do you want something wider than 60 inches? What do you hope to gain by making the hammock 20% wider? You're not a particularly big boy, though big boys do seem to be the primary fans of wider hammocks.

I would think you're adding two potential points of failure (the seams) for no particularly good reason. Most of that extra width won't be used and you'll end up with the fabric flopping in your face. The 1.6 HyperD in a single layer would probably be fine for you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Why do you want something wider than 60 inches? What do you hope to gain by making the hammock 20% wider? You're not a particularly big boy, though big boys do seem to be the primary fans of wider hammocks.

I would think you're adding two potential points of failure (the seams) for no particularly good reason. Most of that extra width won't be used and you'll end up with the fabric flopping in your face. The 1.6 HyperD in a single layer would probably be fine for you.
    I can see wanting wider material for a bridge hammock.. but in this case, I agree with Silvr.. why go more than 60" ? I'm 6' and 250# and have no issues in a SL 1.0 HyperD hammock.

Thanks for the quick comments. That's exactly why I posted the question to this group. I never considered the seams would be an issue when laying on a diagonal - great point. As for as going more than 60" I was somewhat basing that on the width of the double nest Eno that I have now. It's 74" i believe. My son has a single nest that is 55" wide. I'll give it a shot and see what that feels like. With my sewing skills a 60" wide material might end up closer to 55" by they time I hem the edges.

My Eno is also only 9'4" long. That seems kinda short based on some of the DIY stuff I've seen. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The width of the ENO Doublenest would seem to be for accommodation of two people (that's a whole 'nother can of worms).

I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs., and I made the move to 11 ft. long, 60" wide hammocks a couple of years ago. I was getting calf cramps with shorter hammocks and they immediately ceased upon moving to 11 ft. hammocks - haven't had one since. As for width, 60 inches works best for me. I have a 55" wide BIAS Hiker Lite that I use primarily for hiking, and it's harder to get a good lay than with a 60" wide hammock. Amazing how 5" of width can make such a difference for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    unlcedave head over to dutchwear and buy one of his argon hammocks $30 without suspension but you can get his awesome dutch clip setup with buckles for something like $38 more ?
    or just buy the hammock and build your own suspension etc..
    since you mention getting into building your own might be a fun way to get into it half way and build from a pre sewn setup

11' x 60" (not sure finished width) but the argon fabric is really nice
    we have eno we use as lounging and the 60 argon feels so much wider than our eno DN which IMHO the outside edges are just for looks not really useable

the offset thing dreamhammocks is playing with already to make a 72" sounds like they will be bringing one to a hang and sure we will hear some feedback
    I also wondered about that extra width mainly cause it seems my feet and head are always touching the netting and would like that extra width to have the net a bit more away
    I wanted to build a offset one might have to try my idea was to sew the foot end across all the way but then the side your head would be to only sew the first 2 feet on each side enough to keep the fabric up but this should avoid the seem under your shoulder ? no idea how it would work but fun to try

also going to order up and try out a 12' setup

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I actually cut off the sides of my ENO DN because the excess material drove me nuts. As mentioned, the seams would be an issue. I found the seams on the ENO SN to be a pain.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I actually cut off the sides of my ENO DN because the excess material drove me nuts. As mentioned, the seams would be an issue. I found the seams on the ENO SN to be a pain.
    I was testing out the my Eno Sunday afternoon and ended up clipping a biner to the side of mine to keep the excess material away from my face.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    unlcedave head over to dutchwear and buy one of his argon hammocks $30 without suspension but you can get his awesome dutch clip setup with buckles for something like $38 more ?
    or just buy the hammock and build your own suspension etc..
    since you mention getting into building your own might be a fun way to get into it half way and build from a pre sewn setup

11' x 60" (not sure finished width) but the argon fabric is really nice p
    I've already built three whoopie sling suspensions so that's not a problem. If I knew then what I know now I probably would not have bought the Eno and tried the Argon. $20 (+/-) dollars for the material or $32 for the finished product and I don't have to hear the chuckles from my 15 yr old son about dad sitting at the sewing machine. That sounds like the way to go for sure. That might be my next purchase.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast