Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall MAHHA 2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Fall MAHHA 2011

This was another super gathering. I had an great pre-hike with some fine folks whose spirits couldn't be dampened by mere rain. The weekend sunshine was appreciated all the more, too. Gathright SP absorbed our numbers quite well, but it's interesting to speculate on how these hangs will evolve as we outgrow the sites we've used in the past. For myself, pre-hikes are becoming more important parts of the hang, both for the exercise and the opportunity to hang with a smaller group before plunging into the mass event. I recall my feelings when I attended my first MAHHA and didn't know anybody. The newbies I met this weekend all seemed at ease with the experience, but I congratulate them on their pluck in jumping into such a lively group. Welcome once again!

Many thanks to Happy Camper and Oh-No for all their efforts, but they will be quick to point out that it was a case of many hands making light work.

If anyone is missing a lightweight stool, PM me a quick description to see if it matches the one that showed up in my vehicle after the pot luck. (Hint: fabric color, frame material, and location of Gorilla tape embellishments ought to do it. )

I have some video of pre-hikers discussing trekking poles at the Garvey Shelter that's mildly amusing. Will post later. Thanks, everybody. I had fun.

Images

Fun Time :)

"Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    pics or it didn't happen!!

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

just the fall MAHHA pre-hike pics

wed...rained for 2.5 days but y'know what... not such bad company!
    thank you Edward B. Garvey shelter!

it was a DELIGHTFUL weekend with the best people... deepest thanks you all -
    pre-hike pics and Gathland AT:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/alchemy...eat=directlink
    ps the salamanders were 6" long and and fat as a cigar. the black one had passed due to a hiking pole - tread lightly dear hikers!!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbabyd View Post
    wed...rained for 2.5 days but y'know what... not such bad company!
    thank you Edward B. Garvey shelter!

it was a DELIGHTFUL weekend with the best people... deepest thanks you all -
    pre-hike pics and Gathland AT:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/alchemy...eat=directlink
    ps the salamanders were 6" long and and fat as a cigar. the black one had passed due to a hiking pole - tread lightly dear hikers!!
    That's some beautiful country. The fog and mist really made these picts. Thanks for sharing them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    What a time, what a great time. It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. Had a great time talking and sharing information with newb's and learning from vets. I learned a lot as always when I get together with this bunch. Many thanks to all the people who organized the event. A big thank you to Hammock Gear, Jacks R Better, Mac (sorry if I am forgetting any one vendor) and any one else who donated to the raffle. Their were some awesome prizes that were won. Cant wait till the next hang.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Looks like a great time

Thanks for sharing

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Great time indeed.

The pre-hike was great, got to test out my seam sealing ability, went well by the way with a slight leak that was easily taken care of with a drip line. Anyway, as the other pre-hikers noted, spirits where hi and I think it was because of the good company. And the sun, the sun was a welcome come Friday afternoon.

I have mostly been a solo hiker, & do enjoy smaller groups. The MAHHA was a bit of a people overload for me, but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed talking with everyone I had a chance to talk with. Only wish I could have talked more with everyone. It was a great experience for me and so glad I attended.

Special thanks to everyone who put this together, those who prepared all the great food, the vendors who donated items to the raffle, & Dutch who took all the extra food to those who need it. Big thumbs up for that Dutch. If anyone has never attended a larger gathering, you really have to try to attend at least one. The discussions of gear, sharing of knowledge and ideas are well worth the trip, and meeting all the great people who make this forum a truly great place.

MAHHA!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

A few photos from the 2011 Fall MAHHA Hang...

A few photos from the 2011 Fall MAHHA Hang - just to prove it really did take place...

Had a great time on my first group hang - and hope to be able to attend many more in the future!

Thanks to all involved.
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The trip started for me and Ben by hitch hiking my way 150 miles or so. We got to stealth hang 2 nights on the edge of a shopping plaza near a beaver swamp. Tuesday arrived and MML picked us up for the Wed. drive to the pre hike. .We met sweetbabyd and Blackwolf and began our pre hike in the rain. The Ed Garvey shelter was our community space to dry out and stay out of the constant rain. A giant, really thought out shelter that is kept up and clean. Our numbers grew when WV, Bear chaser, R00K and Silver surfer arrived. There was someone with Silver surfer but I am drawing a blank on the name.(Sorry,I cannot recall your name because we talked and laughed a bunch too and I should remember it!) We got to talk to 2 SoBo hikers and a finishing NoBo ( he caught a train to harpers Ferry and was hiking to his home in Pa.) He thought we were joking about having a 'hammock club.' They stopped for lunch and they were very interested in our funny little group of weird hammock people. Many laughs on the 'Ed Garvey morning show' and 'Hammock talk' . Sweetbabyd has a shared sense of humor. WV is a wealth of tid bits and knowledge on all things outdoors. Bear chaser was not needed for bear removal. Black wolf, you are one of a kind and I'm glad we met. A pre hike is now on the must do list before a group hang for me also. I find that the one on one lets me get to know people better. Then as Fri came and we hiked in groups to the MAHHA the weather changed to wind. Then the sun-ahhhh-sun. Great time at the hang. I thought I could remember a few things I saw and wanted to get or make but the list got too big and I went back around and took pics of all the gadgets and ideas so I wouldn't forget stuff. The food was super as always. I really liked the brownies and Black wolf's corn casserole with the triple smoked bacon. Yummmm! Thanks to all the nice things a lot of people had to say about Ben (my dog). He is a special gift that is for sure! Thanks to the vendors for all the donations. I really wanted the $100 dollar gift certificate from Molly Mac--darn! My biggest thanks goes to MML who let me stay at his house for a night, pre- pre hike and gave me a ride down BUT went even beyond the call when he went way out of the way and dropped me off only 20 miles from home. A lot of people I am most happy to have met have been from Hammock Forums. Thanks for a weekend I will replay in memory many times. Rambling trip report done.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast