Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

experiments with dif pitches for JRB

Just fooling around in the back yard this AM. All of this was done pitched with stand up ( 6 ft ) room, and no attempt at a storm pitch. Just pretty much a normal, reasonable weather roomy pitch while playing with one end to see what could be done. ( Still have to look into pitching on the 10 ft ridge line). I'm still thinking this can be improved upon by adding a grip clip and some other tricks.

No attempt to storm pitch. 6 ft stand room. Tarp tied ABOVE hammock suspension. Still adequate coverage ( cinch buckles a few inches under tarp) with huge head and side room available. All other adjustments were from this basic pitch.
    1:

Next, ends partially closed near top, "beak" style, over 10 ft. Claytor plus cinch buckle suspension.
    2:

Next two, Looking back in from open opposite end, followed with view towards "closed" end with hammock occupied and sagging, without ridge line.
    3:

4:

Next, Claytor 10 foot plus Cinch buckle suspension showing coverage.I can't remember if I had a hammock RL in use here, but I don't think I did yet.
    5:

JRB 11x10 with full length closure plus view back in from open end. Notice amount of room inside even pitched for 6 foot standing room and one end almost fully closed. Notice that the tarp is still not in contact with the hammock, even with one end fully closed.
    6:

7:

JRB 11x10 partial closure one end, no need for a pic from other end showing what will be obviously plenty of room to the sides and head with this partial closure of one side.
    8:

JRB 11x10 Claytor with ridge line and hammock shortened somewhat, supplying lots of coverage over cinch buckles.
    9:

Well, that is about it for now. Just trying to figure out how to use this in a partial "winter tarp" fashion without going to the "tarp tent" approach using the 10 ft RL, though I am going to try that soon. Suggestions will be appreciated. And further experiments will follow using a grip clip attached between the end and middle guy out points and a cord/line that runs from that grip clip up to the the foot and head end guy outs.

What is working better than with my HH Hex is pulling the ends together as needed, then tightening the middle side guy outs. Even when fully closed, this leaves a LOT of room to the sides so that it not only does not touch the hammock, but I can get in and out of the hammock without touching the tarp.

Also, it has been windy, and I have noticed this tarp is very quiet, even when pitched in some of these less than optimum configurations.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-25-2008 at 22:07.

Images
    billybob, you mentioned the tarp not touching the hammock when the ends were fully closed. was this the case even while you were laying diagonal in the hammock?

also would you mind possibly adding a closeup pic of one of the corner pulltabs? supposed to be new and improved/stronger or something like that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    billybob, you mentioned the tarp not touching the hammock when the ends were fully closed. was this the case even while you were laying diagonal in the hammock?
    Well, you know- believe it or not I can't say for positive! I think I laid down but I'm not positive, so I'll have to try it again tomorrow and pay attention. And I don't think I laid diagonal even if I did lay down. So I will have to recheck that. But if you look at pics 3 and 7, I think you will agree it LOOKS like I could lay diagonal and not hit the sides, at least in this narrow Claytor.

I was for sure SITTING in it with all my weight in ( feet off the ground) while I was angling around trying to get useful pics. And the hammock ( other than webbing of course ) made no contact then. In fact, I don't think I even made contact when leaning back chair style trying to get a pic. If you look at pic #4, that was taken with me sitting in the hammock and leaning off to one side, and you can see ( I hope it's clear ) that here is no hammock/tarp contact. But also remember, the hammock was not pitche close to the ground or in a narrow storm pitch ( other than the closed end). It ( bottom edges ) was probably 6 inches to a foot off the ground.

also would you mind possibly adding a closeup pic of one of the corner pulltabs? supposed to be new and improved/stronger or something like that.
    OK, I'll have to set up tomorrow and get that pic. But I am not impressed with the appearance of these tie outs compared to my Mac Cat. But if they are "new and improved/stronger", maybe they are stronger than they look. And maybe regardless, as strong as they need to be.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-25-2008 at 22:09.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Where do you get the snake skins for the tarp? I need to get a set since this thing is a bear to control in even a light breeze.

Images
    I have it in my #2 SS from HH. But that is a little tight, so I am going to take the #4s off of my HH plus SS UC and put on this tarp. SSs on a tarp are hard to beat, IMO.

Images
    the most likely point of contact under a steep pitched tarp will be when laying diagonal, and it will be at the feet which stick out considerably farther than your head/shoulder does.

definately interested in seeing the corner pull tabs.

Images
    the most likely point of contact under a steep pitched tarp will be when laying diagonal, and it will be at the feet which stick out considerably farther than your head/shoulder does.

The thing is, I didn't have the tarp pitched steeply, I think that is why there was so much room on the sides. Plus, only ONE end was closed. It has been raining and my hammock stand area is the usual bog, but I'll get some more pics asap.

Images

Here ya go Warbonnetguy

I don't know what you can do with this, but here ya go. Just looks like a couple of nylon loops to my untrained eye:
    1:

2:

Set back up and tested for contact on the diagonal. I tried to get some pics, but the tarp and hammock seemed to be touching when they were not even close.
    So, I have my foot out of the hammock enough to just barely touch the tarp. It is hard to tell, but even at the very end there are a few inches between hammock and tarp. This is with a full length, almost full( an inch or two between tarp "door" edges) closure on both ends.
    3:

This is from the other end diagonal:
    4:

Here, I have shortened the 10 foot long Claytor a bit with a RL. On the diagonal, I have even more room- or at least as much. I don't think my foot was even touching the tarp in this pic. Also, Notice complete closure at bottom!
    5:

Humidity built up fast! But I was surprised that I didn't touch on the diagonal. But, this is a narrow hammock, though 10 feet long.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-26-2008 at 19:24.

Images
    cool thanks for the pics, i was mostly interested in seeing the "corner" pull tabs. those look like the ones in the middle of the side. are the ones on the corners basically just the same as these?

Images
    Yeah, they are all the same. Can you tell anything useful from the pics? If the Sun comes out tomorrow, I'll grab a pic of the corner tie out just in case you can see any difference. It's sewn just slightly dif is all I can tell.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-26-2008 at 19:49.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast