View Poll Results: Where to hang...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Panter Creek...I'll be there...

3 27.27%
  • BMT / Suspension Bridge...I'll be there...

2 18.18%
  • Where Ever Yall Decide...Just Pick One...I'll be there

5 45.45%
  • I would not hang with a bunch of folks from Ga...LOL...

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

Calling ALL Ga Hangers: Hang Out Poll

Were trying to decide on a place to hang out at that suits the needs of everyone....so...let us know.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Seems most dont care where we go...lets just go...
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I think most folks were out this past weekend. Maybe they'll check in here today. I picked "Panter" Creek, but really if it's close and I can make it, I can meet most anywhere in North Georgia.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I agree with FF, the BMT bridge is a sweet spot but it gets a lot of weekend use. I think the Panther Creek Trail off of Old US441 would be a better choice because of that.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I agree with FF, the BMT bridge is a sweet spot but it gets a lot of weekend use. I think the Panther Creek Trail off of Old US441 would be a better choice because of that.
    Two great spots come to mind at Panther Creek. The first is at the very first bridge you cross. Aprox. 2 miles in. You don't cross the bridge but instead continue straight and you will see a path that leads to several great wide open areas with great views.
    Another is of course at the main falls. It would be especially important to claim this spot kinda early. Of course it is a 3.5 mile hike and that might be a bit more than some are interested in. Worth the hike I can promise you. I realize that the agenda is usually to mark a date some time in advance and go then. Sure would be nice to pick a weekend with really nice weather if possible. The sun rays early in the morning shining down on the multiple falls, gorges, etc are spectacular to say the least. If the decision is to go to the first area at the bridge, we could leave most of our gear there and walk to the falls the following morning. Pretty secure area there as it is off the main trail. Just my 3 cents.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 04-28-2008 at 10:49.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    I got out Tim Homan's guide book to check the mileages at the Panther Creek Trail. It is 1 mile to the rock outcrop that you have to go up and through. 1.4 miles to the bridge crossing and 3.5 miles to the large falls.

That rock outcrop at 1 mile is challenging without a backpack and will be more so with one. If you are worried about that you may want to have someone with you to hand it off to.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I got out Tim Homan's guide book to check the mileages at the Panther Creek Trail. It is 1 mile to the rock outcrop that you have to go up and through. 1.4 miles to the bridge crossing and 3.5 miles to the large falls.

That rock outcrop at 1 mile is challenging without a backpack and will be more so with one. If you are worried about that you may want to have someone with you to hand it off to.
    There is another path just past that outcrop that leads up a fairly steep hill. It amazes me as to why they don't put either rock steps or log steps on that hill. I'm often amazed at seeing much older and real young folks past that outcrop section. Wondering how they made it up. Would be a bear trying to go up or down in a downpour. The outcrop way is pretty fun but needs to be carefully manuvered. Adds a nice "bouldering" touch to the trip.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    are we in agreement on Panther Creek then? If so...lets set a date.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    are we in agreement on Panther Creek then? If so...lets set a date.
    I suggest we do it soon before it gets hotter. I don't think there is much planning to be done or any reservations to deal with involving the hang out. I don't think we are talking about eating as a group so you bring what you want and just show up... right? If that is the case then it is something that can be done on the spur of the moment-- heck, even this weekend I guess. We can always do other ones later on and probably should. It isn't likely that one date will work for everyone that wants to attend and when people try to do that it sometimes implodes and doesn't even happen. Folks just have to understand that it isn't anything personnel if the date chosen doesn't work for them.

Alex, I suggest you pick a date that works for you, go with that and see how it plays out. Others can list dates that work for them and should do so real soon if they can so you can get a better feel.

Unfortunately I have a few dates to work around. Trail Days is May 16-18th in Damascus, VA. The next Southeast Hammock Hangers Association (SEHHA) is June 6-8th in Hot Springs, NC (I checked with Ed Speer yesterday). I have a 25 Year Club dinner from the company I worked at for many years on June 14th that I always try to attend.

For me it looks like the weekends of May 10th, May 24th, or May 31st would work. Then it would have to be June 21st or later.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 05-01-2008 at 08:49.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I suggest we do it soon before it gets hotter. I don't think there is much planning to be done or any reservations to deal with involving the hang out. I don't think we are talking about eating as a group so you bring what you want and just show up... right? If that is the case then it is something that can be done on the spur of the moment-- heck, even this weekend I guess. We can always do other ones later on and probably should. It isn't likely that one date will work for everyone that wants to attend and when people try to do that it sometimes implodes and doesn't even happen. Folks just have to understand that it isn't anything personnel if the date chosen doesn't work for them.

Alex, I suggest you pick a date that works for you, go with that and see how it plays out. Others can list dates that work for them and should do so real soon if they can so you can get a better feel.

Unfortunately I have a few dates to work around. Trail Days is May 16-18th in Damascus, VA. The next Southeast Hammock Hangers Association (SEHHA) is June 6-8th in Hot Springs, NC (I checked with Ed Speer yesterday). I have a 25 Year Club dinner from the company I worked at for many years on June 14th that I always try to attend.

For me it looks like the weekends of May 10th, May 24th, or May 31st would work. Then it would have to be June 21st or later.

Those days in May sound good.....oh....except for next weekend...Mothers Day.
    I agree, it is starting to heat up out there. Like I posted earlier, the weather forecast should play a roll also IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast